You are not logged in. Please register or login.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

Re: Here's all the important DJ Ashba answers from the chat

gnfnraxl wrote:
Brett wrote:

That's just the reason I'm excited, chow man, I think DJ will bring this band together. If it was Robin, it'd be bittersweet. I have faith in the new guy. I might be wrong, but I have faith. I wish someone would have asked him if the TPB would be making an appearance, though.

Thanks for making me laugh.  I don't want to burst your bubble here but there's only one guy that can bring "this band" together and that's Axl and he can tear it apart.  And even if DJ were to bring this together.  Axl can undo it in a matter of a mere nanosecond.  Never ever forget that my friend.  Now with that being said I will say it is cool of Ashba to do this and while he ducked most GNR questions he did answer a couple which is cool.  If he stays this way then looks like Ron could get help on the media side.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

exciting yet predictable

a lot of the answers were political

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
johndivney wrote:
misterID wrote:

40 new gnr songs?

no, just 40 gnr songs.

wouldn't be comfortable jumping to conclusions about how cool this guy is for Guns, is not the first and only chat he's done where he's answered a good few Guns questions? given the attention Bumble has given the fans since joining the band i think it's a little unfair to bitch about him these days.

i'm also looking forward to TiL live. i actually really love Robins solo on the record and am a little sad he will never get to play it live. (but then you wonder how much of the solo he really wrote and how much of it was piece together, a la the Stardust solo which he was never able to replicate perfectly live). hope DJ knocks it out of the park, epic like slash on the piano on nov rain kinda shit.

if this tour does hit the ground running and avoids any major trauma's, i believe strongly there is potential for Guns to re-blow minds. i'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out. interesting talk from dj.
(i don't think we'll see all 40 songs played, and it'll probably be a relatively settled setlist, but if things go well...)

(anyone actually heard any Beautiful Creatures? i'm sure there's been talk on them on here before, but i'm only thinking about it now and i'm not near the search button.. well i am as near to it as i ever am, but i'm writing this message and can't move to it..)

The only Beautiful Creatures song I know is "Wasted", but it kicks ass.

http://www.dalealplay.com/informacionde … ?con=36633

I asked DJ if GNR could play my birthday party this year and he said "sure, what's your address?"  So that should be cool.  16

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:
Brett wrote:

That's just the reason I'm excited, chow man, I think DJ will bring this band together. If it was Robin, it'd be bittersweet. I have faith in the new guy. I might be wrong, but I have faith. I wish someone would have asked him if the TPB would be making an appearance, though.

Thanks for making me laugh.  I don't want to burst your bubble here but there's only one guy that can bring "this band" together and that's Axl and he can tear it apart.  And even if DJ were to bring this together.  Axl can undo it in a matter of a mere nanosecond.  Never ever forget that my friend.  Now with that being said I will say it is cool of Ashba to do this and while he ducked most GNR questions he did answer a couple which is cool.  If he stays this way then looks like Ron could get help on the media side.

I meant in terms of a good show and making the songs sound good for the live audience. You know, something Robin never could do.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Without getting into Robin vs Dj as I know Robin has a few strong fans around here. I've been pondering a few questions surroudning DJ.

Firstly let me say from what i've heard I have absolute confedence in his tecnical ability, and he comes from an LA style background which could be just what the AFD solos need.

My questions are:

1. Robin when contrasted to slash brought in a lot of his own personal style to the solos - will DJ do likewise - or will be more closely mirror a prior version?

2. Will he be learning the songs from the records? Or from a re-record CD / Axl's vault of pro-shot live stuff? Reason I wonder this is because of the 3 guitarist thing - he's still working in the 3 tar set up - and so the easiest way to figure out his parts on something with a modern arrangment - say nighttrain -  would be to watch the 06 version not the AFD track - if you want to know where to play rhythm for bumble and richard etc and where to shred yourself....

3. Will he mimic robin more closely on CD, and Slash on the AFD songs (this is my hope) - or will he see himself as a Robin replacment and thus mimic robins take on the afd solos note for note.....or will he bring a 3rd new approach to the songs?

Time will tell.

My hope is that he models his playing on the blues rock of slash for the AFD stuff, and orf course just does CD stuff pretty much as per the album, and then with bumble doing the crazy and bucket style stuff - we'd have a perfect mix.

But i'm ver excited to see how it goes down, and what approach DJ will take.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

DJ mentioned how he was a fan of GNR growing up and they were one of his influences, and he said that's the reason Beautiful Creatures had a similar vibe.  I would think he'd play Slash's parts close to the original if he was a fan.  Wasn't Robin not a fan previously?

DJ was also asked what his favorite GNR song was and he gave the diplomatic answer that there were so many to choose from.  But then he did mention Nightrain.  And for the 2nd straight chat he didn't hesitate in saying he LOVES "This I Love".  Can't wait to see what he does with that solo.  Will he play it exactly like Robin wrote it or make it his own.  I know Robin's solo isn't well regarded, it's a love or hate thing.  I love it, but I'd like to see what DJ could do with it.

emcitymisfit
 Rep: 28 

emcitymisfit wrote:

Robin's solo is ok. Above average attempt.

Seems like Night Train is almost a universal favorite.

It'll be interesting

Sky Dog wrote:
faldor wrote:

DJ mentioned how he was a fan of GNR growing up and they were one of his influences, and he said that's the reason Beautiful Creatures had a similar vibe.  I would think he'd play Slash's parts close to the original if he was a fan.  Wasn't Robin not a fan previously?

DJ was also asked what his favorite GNR song was and he gave the diplomatic answer that there were so many to choose from.  But then he did mention Nightrain.  And for the 2nd straight chat he didn't hesitate in saying he LOVES "This I Love".  Can't wait to see what he does with that solo.  Will he play it exactly like Robin wrote it or make it his own.  I know Robin's solo isn't well regarded, it's a love or hate thing.  I love it, but I'd like to see what DJ could do with it.

I love Robin's TIL solo after the drums and bass kick in...

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
war wrote:

exciting yet predictable

a lot of the answers were political

Very good young Skywalker. This guy knows the internet game with GN'R, and is telling you all what you want to hear.

Like anything with GN'R, wait and see (which I guess he did say quite a bit to give him credit).

40 GN'R songs... i'll believe it when I see/hear it.

I figure pretty much all of AFD
+
half of UYI I
+
half of UYI II
+
all of CD
+
a few from Lies or some covers

would make that number. If that one thing alone were true, Axl would gain alot of lost points back REAL quick with me. Especially the UYI stuff.

I would pretty much hit my knees and say "ahh" if it were new CD vault cuts being unleashed on us.

Board footer