You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: From sebastianbach.com

Axlin16 wrote:

AIC are has beens too.

I guess my standards are tough. To me, a U2 is NOT a has been, but is getting there. Slowly Metallica are slipping into has been territory.

To me a has been is someone who's reached their peak, and decline of commercial and cultural relevance. It doesn't take being LA Guns, and performing a pizza joint.

To me, lack of hits, commercial & cultural popularity in decline, all equate 'has been'. Just because your The Rolling Stones, and can do stadiums worldwide performing your back catalog, means nothing. What impact is your new music doing? What did the last album do?

Has been is apparently a dirty word, but come on... do you really think that Axl & Slash are as popular now as they were in 1992? No way. If you've hit your peak popularity, and are in decline or have bottomed out with your diehard fanbase, doesn't that kind of mean "h-a-s b-e-e-n"?

You get one shot to take the world by storm, and when you do, enjoy it while it lasts, because it'll only happen once. For all those artists, it happened, people dug it, people still dig it, but beyond 20 year old songs, people have moved on.

Axl = legend
Slash = legend
Mick Jagger = legend
Robert Plant = legend
Steven Tyler = legend
Brian May = legend

But all have seen their hey day's, and all are "has beens".

That's my definition. I'm sure others have their own, but i'm just letting you know where my thought process is at to say what I said.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I see where you're coming from.  "Has been" just sounds so harsh.  Just because somone's not as on top of their game as they once were doesn't make them a has been in my book.  Who isn't a has been by your logic?  It's all relative.  Lady Gaga seems to be the hottest pop star these days but who's to say she hasn't peaked and is on the way down.  In essence she could be a has been.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Lady Gaga is already on a decline phase.

She'll probably be more of a "has been that never was".

Kanye West is probably the most significant star right now that's speeding full speed towards being a has been, yet just a couple years ago, the dude was big money. People are just done with the guy. Miley Cyrus should be seeing a decline phase very soon, if not already, just on the fact that her Disney marketability will be plummeting due to her increasing age.

As the old saying goes...

"Hey kid, your finished. That's all. That's show biz."

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

A legend cannot be a has been. Maybe his/her relvance comes from the glorious past, but a legend is always relevant. Cause he's a legend. Has beens the ones who once were relevant or hyped, but failed to reach the legendary status.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

No, Axlin just has ridiculously high standards for what he considers relevant.

Based on his scale, a lot of legends we love and revere were never relevant to begin with. Being popular and relevant are 2 different things. cool

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

in my opinion a "has been" is more of a derogatory term for someone who used to be the flavor of the week but is no longer

ie Kris Kross, Vanilla Ice, Everclear, sevenmarythree, creed

if you still get respect you aren't a "has-been" .... in my opinion

Sky Dog wrote:

so, has gunsnroses.com been updated yet? 13

TSI
 Rep: 2 

TSI wrote:
Axl S wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Somehow Axl & Slash are immune because they were in "Guns N' Roses". Ding ding for them. They haven't released any original album since 1991, and irrelevant in today's culture other than a memory through Greatest Hits sets.

It's Five O Clock Somewhere
Ain't Life Grand
Contraband
Libertad
Chinese Democracy
Sick

The GNR guys have released albums since 1991.
Contraband got good reviews and was a big hit, went platinum and Slither was very successful.
Chinese Democracy, whilst not a hit still made it to 3, and appeared in a fair few rock magazines list of best albums.
Sick has received great reviews and Loaded have just finished a successful UK tour.

Just because a band isn't going NO.1 with each record or single doesn't mean their a has-been. Just because they're not always in the top 10 doesn't mean their a has-been.

Hell by your logic one of your favourite bands Alice In Chains should be has-beens.

As a side note, Jani Lane was recently fired from warrant for a DUI,
I'm sure you are all heartbroken big_smile
One thing to remember, the industry is undergoing Major changes,
and sinking like the titanic, it ain't 1991 anymore. Also when acts like Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers are considered mainstream Rock, that is painting a vivid picture of the debaucle that is prevalent in todays Society. Sickening,but true.
I don't see GNR, AIC, Pink Floyd, Zep, etc... as has beens. Do I like slash compromising his values by appearing on A.I. or playing with virtually everyone? No, But I don't like his passive aggressive tendancies and doubtful truth either. Is it fair that after years of silence that Axl gets blasted for calling Slash a cancer? No, and it is an unfortunate turn that slash's Mom died from Lung cancer not long after that, But Axl's Mom also died of cancer in 1996. It was a case of bad timing but the media fed off this like the maggots they are. The only thing I've heard off radio lately that appealed to me is "a perfect circle's" cover of Imagine. Thank the powers that be for satellite radio!! And I would have loved BLS to have opened for GNR.... but the world is an imperfect place, and like it or not this is 2009, the recording Industry as well as the concert moguls are desperately trying to find their footing. Will I go to see GNR? Hell yes!! And I'm still glad there is a GNR, still love the music!!:beer:

Axlin08 wrote:

They haven't released any original album since 1991

Axl S wrote:

It's Five O'Clock Somewhere
Ain't Life Grand
Contraband
Libertad
Chinese Democracy
Sick

Izzy Stradlin And The Ju Ju Hounds
Believe In Me
Pawnshop Guitars
Blooze
Neurotic Outisders
The Hangover
117°
10 Minute Warning
Rubber
Beautiful Disease
Ride On
The Racketeers
River
Dark Days
Swag
On Down The Road
Hollywood Zen
Like A Dog
Rock Star Supernova
Miami
Fire.... The Acoustic Album
Wasted Heart
Concrete
Slash & Friends

Fucking has been(s) that hasn't released any original album since 1991.

misterID wrote:

No, Axlin just has ridiculously high standards for what he considers relevant.

No, Axlin08 is just ridiculous.

2vj5u8n.jpg

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

What a rambling.

Edit: @ TSI

Board footer