You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: If its the same old set list will you go??

faldor wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:
faldor wrote:

I've seen Def Leppard 6 times in the last 4 years and they've basically played the same exact setlist the last 3 years.  Even after they came out with a new album, which I actually enjoy, they only played 2 songs off it.

And you know what?  I had a great time at every show.  Go figure.  Would I have liked to hear a couple different songs fom time to time?  Sure.  But a night out at a rock show beats a night at home any day of the week. 

This "I saw the same show 3 years ago" argument just makes no sense to me.  I could see if you didn't want to see the SAME show in a week, month, or even a year.  But 3 years?  Man you must have a great memory and imagination that you have ZERO interest in seeing your "favorite" band play some of the greatest songs in rock n' roll history.

Ok.  See when I saw them in 06.  I had heard so much about their repetitive setlist that seriously I was able to call what song was gonna be played next and I'm pretty sure I could still name their setlist with little to no errors.  I have nothing and I repeat NOTHING agaisnt anyone that is willing to pay between 60 and 100$ to watch a possible rerun from 06.  We'll see when they play in Asia if it is indeed a rerun.  This thread asked if we were ready to do so and I said probably not.  I am allowed that right?  Does this make me less of a fan?  If you think so then so be it.  If you like knowing ten songs ahead what will be played then good for you.  I like to have a few surprises.  And I hope we will get surprises this time although I doubt it.  I am allowed my opinion as do all of you.  I am such a fan of GNR that I am willing to say what is wrong with this band in hopes that things will change eventually.  Cause see, WE are the ones that pay Axl's salarie by buying the albums, shirts, tickets and whatever else.  And like any other things you will have satisfied customers who will accept anything.  And you will have customers that want nothing but the best and they are allowed to expect that.  And because of customers like that all the others benefit from that.  Axl is too good of a frontman to waste his talent and the talent of his band by doing the same list night after night. 

And misterID comparing missing a GNR show to starving yourself is not only lame but not very smart.

I'm just going on my own experiences, but mostly ALL concerts I've ever gone to have repetitive setlists.  The ONE exception was Pearl Jam.  They change their setlists on a nightly basis.  But GNR, Def Leppard, Van Halen, Tom Petty, etc., etc. all had similar if not exactly the same setlists each and every night.  I would check out the setlists and know exactly what songs were going to be played at which point.  It actually helped in some situations.  I knew when it was safe to take a bathroom break or run for a beer.

Some people act like Guns N' Roses is the only band that doesn't change up their setlist and it's just not true, at least in my own experience.  It's pretty common practice.  Here's a suggestion.  Next time they're on tour, DON'T READ ANY OF THE SETLISTS.  Then you won't know what to expect.  Maybe you'll get the same old thing, maybe you won't.  There, I just solved your problem.

Who's next?

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I have the setlist memorized it's been played so much, so how do I not read the setlist?

From AFD:

Jungle
Easy
Train
OTGM
Mr. B
City
Michelle
Think About You (alternate)
SCOM
Rocket Queen (alternate)

From Lies:

Patience
Used To Love Her
You're Crazy (alternate)

From UYI I:

Live and Let Die
Don't Cry [original] (alternate)
Rain

From UYI II:

KOHD
YCBM

From TSI:

Down On The Farm (alternate)

From CD:

CD (alternate)
Better
Street of Dreams
TWAT (alternate)
I.R.S.
Maddy (alternate)

What do I do when this is all I get again, and i'm disappointed?

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Try not being disappointed.  There's worse things in life than hearing Mr. Brownstone and You Could Be Mine for the 2nd time (gulp).

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Exactly...YCBM is an awesome song as is Brownstone.

The funny shit to me is that if they started playing loads of other stuff eventually we'd all be complaining about missing AFD and the like.

For example the UYI tour saw a lot of Civil War and Double Talking Jive being played...how many of us wouldn't jump to hear those done again now.

I think this tour will see the new album being rocked out by the new guys, but anyone who's going to get upset when they play jungle and so on each night with them is really just heading for an inevitiable upset.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Exactly...YCBM is an awesome song as is Brownstone.

The funny shit to me is that if they started playing loads of other stuff eventually we'd all be complaining about missing AFD and the like.

For example the UYI tour saw a lot of Civil War and Double Talking Jive being played...how many of us wouldn't jump to hear those done again now.

I think this tour will see the new album being rocked out by the new guys, but anyone who's going to get upset when they play jungle and so on each night with them is really just heading for an inevitiable upset.

I posted this somewhere else.  Jungle has to be played.  It is inevitable.  Here are the songs that in my opinion needs to be played every night:
Jungle, Paradise, Sweet child, nightrain, Don't Cry, November Rain, You could be mine, CD and better.  That's a total of 9 songs.  That leaves around 10 songs that they can alternate on a nightly basis.  Out of those 10 songs they need to have at least 4 CD songs.  Thing is is that there was a time when Axl had balls and he dared to try different things.  Not anymore.  Axl wants to pretend he's still the shit but truth is he's become a wuss who will just go through the motions just to be safe.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

BUT... if this is just another cash grab ala 2002 & 2006,

Can we please stop refering to tours as "Cash Grabs"?

All tours are designed to make a profit, when it becomes unprofitable to tour is when tours don't happen. So of course the band makes some money, but they also get to have fun playing some songs, and it makes the fans happy to see the band live. That's what a tour is for.

Another point is that I keep reading on here about how tours are suposed to be how artists earn a living now everyone downloads, yet for some reason when Axl does it, it's uncool.

Another point is that it's the same people who call the prior tours failures that also call them cash grabs. Surely if they were so unattended and failed they wouldn't be great tools for cash generation.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

Thing is is that there was a time when Axl had balls and he dared to try different things.  Not anymore.  Axl wants to pretend he's still the shit but truth is he's become a wuss who will just go through the motions just to be safe.

He's playing the songs (AFD) that he co-wrote and that the average punter wants to hear. I don't think that makes him a wuss.

In fact, I think his steadfast refusal to reunite with the old band shows he isn't a wuss. It's a move that has him critized in the media, angst among his fanbase, and sees him turning down hundreds of millions of dollars (according to steven).  But he does it anyway.

If he wanted to be "safe" he'd reunite with the old guys, avoid the hell out of them when not on stage together, and phone-in a few tours or songs and make buckets of cash.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i dont think the songs were ever played in the exact order every night in 06..they did change up in that sense...also they played alternates...you listed 25 tracks axlin ... this time DJ has stated 40 being practiced

also things are 100% different in 2010...the number one being that the album is out now..I have a hard time believing that most of chinese democracy album will not be played during this tour at one point or another

axlin...as fans we should be championing Axl's cause...like in 2006 there was a couple beside me and they were like yeah we havea  sitter i figure we;ll be home around midnight...i told her that she had better call home cuz it'll be later than that..that was jsut after baz's set was over, now she may not have been happy about it but at least she didnt have to sit and stew over it for 4 hours and she had the chance to call home and let the sitter know they'd be later

but anywya I agree that something needs to be done...maybe ticket master could post a disclaimer on their site or something that the show may run later than scheduled...but Axl has been  like that from forever, its not gonna change...if you expect him to change then you will be disappointed...love it or hate it but stop bitching already...or at the very least wait to see what happens in Asia before signalling the end of the world, holy fuck some of you guys are like a bunch of little old ladies

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:

And I can't believe that some of you can't see this happening.  Seriously I hope I am wrong but history shows us that I'm probably not.

Board footer