You are not logged in. Please register or login.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Re: If its the same old set list will you go??

buzzsaw wrote:
Neemo wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

It's just like a baseball game. The fans that 'boo' when the team does bad... only do so because THEY CARE.

sports fans dont usually boo at the start of a season though, they wait for the team to start sucking before they get fed up

If they know that the team has benched all the starters they want to see and are playing a bunch of minor league call-ups, they'll boo at the beginning of the game because they aren't getting the product that they thought they paid for.

I'm being misquoted here, I agree with Neemo.

Buzz you've got a point but that suggests buying your tickets and then finding out the starting squad are all reserves. In this case you know the team before you buy the ticket, so if you don't like, don't buy, don't go then boo YOUR team.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

I'm being misquoted here

fixed smile

sandman
 Rep: 30 

sandman wrote:

i will attend all shows reasonably possible within 3-4 hours of Philly. I would love a very similar set list, with the usual UYI songs replaced with new UYI songs, and CD songs replaced with new CD songs.

but whatever they come up with, i will enjoy. they are the best live band and not even metallica playing "blackened" or the crue playing "live wire" can give me the same rush i get when i hear WTTJ, it's so easy, my michele, etc.

and i think they will change things up. and i would be willing to bet we hear a new song or 2.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Neemo wrote:

sports fans dont usually boo at the start of a season though, they wait for the team to start sucking before they get fed up

If they know that the team has benched all the starters they want to see and are playing a bunch of minor league call-ups, they'll boo at the beginning of the game because they aren't getting the product that they thought they paid for.

I'm being misquoted here, I agree with Neemo.

Buzz you've got a point but that suggests buying your tickets and then finding out the starting squad are all reserves. In this case you know the team before you buy the ticket, so if you don't like, don't buy, don't go then boo YOUR team.

I don't believe that's true.  If the team doesn't promote the fact that they are only playing reserves, but the hardcore fans that hang out at a forum about the team know because it's a pattern they've established recently, the only people showing up either want to see the scrubs, don't know it's the scrubs, or don't care because their favorite starting pitcher is pitching and they don't care who else plays.  You can't knock the ones that show up expecting the regulars for booing saying they should have known...how were they to know if they are only casual fans?  It's not like the radio or other media is talking about it unless you really look for it.  And if you're going to see the Yankees play, why wouldn't you expect ARod, Jeter, Teix, etc to play?  It's the Yankees, right?

There are reasons that no promotion was done for anything GnR related over the past 10+ years.  One of those reasons is that the common everyday person that likes SCOM and NR, and tolorataes WTTJ and PC don't have a clue that it's just Axl.  Still.  And it's not their fault.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I wouldn't expect "new" songs.  At least not early on.  I'd expect them to feature CD, and if the tour continues on for some time, then maybe we'll get a new song or 2.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

BUT... if this is just another cash grab ala 2002 & 2006,

Can we please stop refering to tours as "Cash Grabs"?

All tours are designed to make a profit, when it becomes unprofitable to tour is when tours don't happen. So of course the band makes some money, but they also get to have fun playing some songs, and it makes the fans happy to see the band live. That's what a tour is for.

Another point is that I keep reading on here about how tours are suposed to be how artists earn a living now everyone downloads, yet for some reason when Axl does it, it's uncool.

Another point is that it's the same people who call the prior tours failures that also call them cash grabs. Surely if they were so unattended and failed they wouldn't be great tools for cash generation.

Fantastic point. Touche.

I'll try to stop. If I do again, remind me, 'cause you make a good point.

Sky Dog wrote:

that was a good point ....pretty much business 101. However, karma to Monkey for the well thought out post and karma to Axilin for acknowledging it.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

There are reasons that no promotion was done for anything GnR related over the past 10+ years.  One of those reasons is that the common everyday person that likes SCOM and NR, and tolorataes WTTJ and PC don't have a clue that it's just Axl.  Still.  And it's not their fault.

So am I understanding you Buz, you're saying that little effort was made to re-brand the band away from the UYI line up in the public eye intentionally?

It's an interesting theory. I do think it's the one thing that's bugged a lot of people over the years. I think most people either want a reunion, OR , they want the modern GNR to have a fixed line up, tour regularly, put out albums more often and generally behave as a modern band does. I think it's fair to say that the most odd thing about this whole thing wasn't the keeping of the name and all that but rather how strange the workings of the band seemed to get. While Axl always seemed to do things his own way, i think back in the AFD era the band appeared to be more 'normal' in it's approach to commerical endevours, media, tours, releases and the like. Despite being a fan of the band, I am interested in this type of stuff, like why the band operates so differently to how it once did.

However, don't you consider the album a failure because of comparatively low sales? I thought your basic premise is that the sales were the public's judgment of the new line up. But surely if no one is aware and thought it was AFD days then the album should have sold very strongly?

Sky Dog wrote:

ha...good point again Monkey. I do think the public would have taken a new Guns much more seriously had they stuck to one lineup and built themselves  from the ground up. Once the initial wave of people started leaving around 2000, the media and eventually the public viewed it as Axl and a rotating band of gypsys. All water under the bridge now. tongue

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:

I'll have to agree with you Monkey.  Karma!

Board footer