You are not logged in. Please register or login.

AtomsNest
 Rep: 10 

Re: GN'R Twitter Updates

AtomsNest wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

I can see it being very much played down and joked about on stage. Wouldn't surprise me if we just got Axl saying 'let me introduce the new guitarist, you may have heard of him' kind of thing.

Not expecting chapter and verse, on stage at least.

Yeah, I don't think they'll address it head on. They'll be jokes, a general commentary around "brothers fight", and blame thrown towards 3rd party meddling. Which to be fair, is not completely wrong. I'm sure you could write a book solely about the hanger-ons and from back then.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Had the opposite effect for me..
That vid is what it's going to be like live, footage/people cut & pasted. One guy on the side of the stage, 5 feet away from him is his bandmate but the guy hates him & is only there for the money & wants nothing to do with him. Worried there'll be no atmosphere - or worse a really bad one - coming from the band.. Can't see them being too friendly. Hope I'm wrong tho. Stage needs to be small keep them all closely together, can't see that happening either.

Same complaints came from some Soundgarden fans during their reunion.

Check this out...this was right when they started promoting the new album....small stage too as its at Sirius.  Ben doesn't even attempt to go near Chris. Neither does Kim. They sound fucking incredible but yeah.....definitely not "friendly".

edit: You were referring to interaction onstage but check this out as well up until 1:20....same Sirius show. One of the few times during the 5 years this reunion has been going on where all four of them sit together for an interview. Notice how they are sitting....the distance. Chris and Kim on one side and on the other side Matt and Ben. Much animosity between Chris and Ben in the lead up to the breakup and Ben just happens to be the one furthest from Chris. I doubt that's a coincidence. While talking they do not seem happy and Kim is the only one that looks as if he might be enjoying it. it is all business. Doesn't bother me in the least because their business is releasing material which I hope we end up getting in this situation.

johndivney wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Same complaints came from some Soundgarden fans during their reunion.

Check this out...this was right when they started promoting the new album....small stage too as its at Sirius.  Ben doesn't even attempt to go near Chris. Neither does Kim. They sound fucking incredible but yeah.....definitely not "friendly".

edit: You were referring to interaction onstage but check this out as well up until 1:20....same Sirius show. One of the few times during the 5 years this reunion has been going on where all four of them sit together for an interview. Notice how they are sitting....the distance. Chris and Kim on one side and on the other side Matt and Ben. Much animosity between Chris and Ben in the lead up to the breakup and Ben just happens to be the one furthest from Chris. I doubt that's a coincidence. While talking they do not seem happy and Kim is the only one that looks as if he might be enjoying it. it is all business. Doesn't bother me in the least because their business is releasing material which I hope we end up getting in this situation.

That last part is the thing, you're totally correct. If it works creatively, artistically, if it works that the vibrations coming out of them are what they should be then there's no scope for complaining they're not bff's. Then, maybe not only is the animosity worth enduring, it might even help the material.

I was thinking there's a chance I was reading too much into the situation but watching that interview.. It's hilarious the body language. It just helps highlight how bizarre the alchemy of bands can be cause looking solely at their body language live & in interview I could never imagine they'd be capable of producing the performances they have & the quality of King Animal. I suppose it's a similar situation with most bands, even ones who hadn't split up, just personality clashes & shit. But when it's a matter of professionalism they rise to the occasion - perhaps a reason why some bands make it & many don't.

Edit: that's the first time I've ever used BFF. I'm never going to do that again. In fact I'd delete it & edit it but I want to keep it as a shameful reminder to myself. Fuck me.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Edit: that's the first time I've ever used BFF. I'm never going to do that again. In fact I'd delete it & edit it but I want to keep it as a shameful reminder to myself. Fuck me.

LMAO

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I think people are reading too much into the above videos with Soundgarden.

Ben is a very no-nonsense, no bullshit, Glenn Frey-type of guy

Chris is a very Seattle, hipster, indie rock dude, that's kinda cool sometimes and can get up his own ass sometimes

They're brothers. I just saw the above video as Chris doing his thang and Ben doing his thang. I do notice in videos when Chris tries to be funny, he finds HIMSELF very funny, and others kind of don't get the joke. The reaction of SG is always the same... Kim is laid back and smiles, Matt nervously laughs, and Ben rolls his eyes and looks to the ceiling.

These guys have had that dynamic since basically the early 90's. I wouldn't see it as any big deal.

Me thinks, with Axl being willing to let Slash back in the band, Axl is hoping for some of the old chemistry. Axl doesn't strike me as a guy that's willing to share a stage with someone he hates. Axl would be just fine with staying the fuck home. I still think they are actually friends again, no different than Axl's relationship with Izzy & Duff.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Cornell definitely laughs at his own jokes all the time. I've heard him do it in many interviews. He also has a hefty ego even though many don't think he does and even he himself would deny. He can be down to earth but it comes through in some of his story telling. I liked the few times he's talked about Axl over the years. Good stories where he mentions Axl's inflated self importance while acting like he himself is above it all yet somehow misses the fact that he  was the only one deemed worthy by the man himself to be in that position to witness it.

CD related....I've tried finding that video off and on for years where Kim and Ben mention CD during an interview. Kim asks rhetorically, "Did you hear Chinese Democracy? Jeez..." and they both laugh. Its gone. So is that official video for Non State Actor that is nothing but the American flag flying backwards. SG's YT channel has everything but that. Maybe they didn't want any bad press during that initial run so removed it.  Wish I had saved both.  Tons of content was also lost when they killed their official forum last year that was very active. Shame on them.

I get your point about us nerds reading into things but there is tension there. Interesting you bring up Frey and you certainly know your shit about the Eagles. In Henley-Frey interviews even when they're cracking some jokes you can feel that tension in the air. LIke if one wrong comment gets said it'll turn into Ali-Frazier at the drop of a hat.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I get your point about us nerds reading into things but there is tension there. Interesting you bring up Frey and you certainly know your shit about the Eagles. In Henley-Frey interviews even when they're cracking some jokes you can feel that tension in the air. LIke if one wrong comment gets said it'll turn into Ali-Frazier at the drop of a hat.

Did you see that Eagles docu they are showing all over the place atm? Some very poignant clips from an earlier docu they did in the late 70s, early 80s. Talking about "how long can we keep doing this?" etc. Henley mentions something in the limo and you can see Frey completely stone faced next to him, the tension dripping.

If this reunion can bring something similar it'd almost be worth it.

johndivney wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

I think people are reading too much into the above videos with Soundgarden.

Ben is a very no-nonsense, no bullshit, Glenn Frey-type of guy

Chris is a very Seattle, hipster, indie rock dude, that's kinda cool sometimes and can get up his own ass sometimes

They're brothers. I just saw the above video as Chris doing his thang and Ben doing his thang. I do notice in videos when Chris tries to be funny, he finds HIMSELF very funny, and others kind of don't get the joke. The reaction of SG is always the same... Kim is laid back and smiles, Matt nervously laughs, and Ben rolls his eyes and looks to the ceiling.

These guys have had that dynamic since basically the early 90's. I wouldn't see it as any big deal.

Me thinks, with Axl being willing to let Slash back in the band, Axl is hoping for some of the old chemistry. Axl doesn't strike me as a guy that's willing to share a stage with someone he hates. Axl would be just fine with staying the fuck home. I still think they are actually friends again, no different than Axl's relationship with Izzy & Duff.

Do you have any brothers?

Uh.. The same dynamic as in the 90's is kinda the problem.

Axl has shared the stage with people he hates for $$$ before..

I don't think James & I are predicting doom & gloom & another meltdown, we're just saying that we just don't know the lay of the land for all the positive speculation. & the people reading an especially close relationship between the two are very possibly misguided & possibly always have been: you don't have to like someone to work with them - particularly if fate has thrown you together & you've stumbled on a successful formula then it's a bit more worthwhile enduring that other persons company to a point. This could end up a case of history repeating itself..

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Cornell definitely laughs at his own jokes all the time. I've heard him do it in many interviews. He also has a hefty ego even though many don't think he does and even he himself would deny. He can be down to earth but it comes through in some of his story telling. I liked the few times he's talked about Axl over the years. Good stories where he mentions Axl's inflated self importance while acting like he himself is above it all yet somehow misses the fact that he  was the only one deemed worthy by the man himself to be in that position to witness it.

CD related....I've tried finding that video off and on for years where Kim and Ben mention CD during an interview. Kim asks rhetorically, "Did you hear Chinese Democracy? Jeez..." and they both laugh. Its gone. So is that official video for Non State Actor that is nothing but the American flag flying backwards. SG's YT channel has everything but that. Maybe they didn't want any bad press during that initial run so removed it.  Wish I had saved both.  Tons of content was also lost when they killed their official forum last year that was very active. Shame on them.

polluxlm wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Did you see that Eagles docu they are showing all over the place atm? Some very poignant clips from an earlier docu they did in the late 70s, early 80s. Talking about "how long can we keep doing this?" etc. Henley mentions something in the limo and you can see Frey completely stone faced next to him, the tension dripping.

If this reunion can bring something similar it'd almost be worth it.

Yeah, definitely there were issues between Henley & Frey, but I think if any two go along the most, it was them. Frey imo didn't want it to end and took it VERY seriously. It was the dream, and he was living it. When he saw guys like Randy Meisner & Don Felder fucking around and not giving a shit about any of it and being "me first", rather than the band, it went up one side and down the other.

If you watch old interviews with Henley, Frey is much more laid back with a hot head (very Motor City rock ala Nugent), but Henley has an Axl-streak a mile wide. Henley is a brilliant musician, but that same brilliance can cause him to climb up his own ass sometimes and over think every thing.

By the time The Long Run came around, Henley was very much looking for the exits and it pissed Frey off. Alot. imho

Board footer