You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Slash: 'Rose Is Misunderstood'

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ I'm sure he'll get bashed for it at HTGTH and so on....but this is the sort of quote that I feel is typical of slash holding his ground while being relatively nice publicly about Axl.

Ok he says he's difficult, but that's far from harsh in the context of all the history of GNR's riots, cancells and issues. Like he could go on a bender and call Axl an asshole and whatever else and you know the media would eat it up. Yet he quite often shows this kind of restraint.

I tend to agree with the basic idea too that people who complain about Axl's way of doing things, his behavour and his personality don't seem to appriciaite that if he changed himself to become who they want, he'd be a different person, and the whole band would very likely not sound the same.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Slash... you're full of shit.

You created about 90% of this public perception of Axl from you're own words, and now you're criticizing people who perceive him as difficult?

Fuck off and promote your album...

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

Axl has done his own dirty work.  Slash had no hand in it.  Now Slash,, go and promote your album.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Slash had a gigantic hand in keeping it alive from 1996-present in Axl's down time.

I can't believe he's even still fielding questions about Axl 14 years after he left the band. No different than I can't believe that Axl continues to run off about Slash, instead of focusing on the 88th version of Guns N' Roses on the road.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Slash... you're full of shit.

You created about 90% of this public perception of Axl from you're own words, and now you're criticizing people who perceive him as difficult?

Fuck off and promote your album...

I'm sorry dude but that's just not accurate. Any negative public perception of Axl dates from:

1. St Louis Riot
2. GNR/Metallica semi-riots
3. repeated history of cancellations and late starts
4. axl's public rants and various public fights (eg the airport recently)
5. History of bandmates walking out on his projects (slash is but one of what a dozen?) and associated delay of Chinese Democracy.
6. Get in the Ring media rant
7. Alleged homophobic / racist lyrics in OIAM, and subsequent cover of a Charles Manson track.

Now for the record I have no issue with any of the above items, and i'm not saying all criticism of Axl is in any way fair, balanced, accurate, inaccurate or whatever.

But what I am saying is that the media and the public made up their mind about Axl a very long time ago, and it had FUCK ALL with anything Slash said about him.

In fact, Slash's comments about Axl are 90% of the time a responce to questions he is asked about Axl due to axl's EXISTING PUBLIC IMAGE. If you look at intervews from the UYI tour...Slash spends a ton of time justiftying the drama and late starts and everything else that went on, they had each other's backs publicly. Since his departure, at worst all he can be critisised for is no longer doing this, i dont think he bags out Axl, he's just done spending his days appoligising for things that arn't under his control anymore. So if someone says somethign about the riots, late starts or whatever he tends to confirm it can be an issue and not deny it. But if the intervewer insults Axl as a person, or as a peformer, then watch Slash shut the guy down.

Realisticly too, the public has a love hate relationship with Axl's antics. It makes him larger than life and a true rockstar. Sure his real gift is his musical talent, but basicly it would be far less fun for them to write about him if he didn't bite a security worker and call someone a c#nt occasionally or walk from a stage. They pretend they hate it, but it sells their mags etc.

For the record, I really love the music of both Axl and Slash, and don't like this whole war between the fan bases, and this post is in no way critical of either of them. I'm just denying the theory that Axl's image has any connection to things slash says...(other than the GNR name issue...i'll grant Slash basicly accuses him of stealing it).

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

If it were upto me, I`d just stick em both in a ring and be done with it...beat out all the shit they have and be left with whatever they had

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I've been reading interviews with Slash ever since he left GN'R and he never said anything that bad about Axl, it was more that he couldn't work with him, and was hard to deal with. I've never seen him say "Axl is an asshole" or anything like that. And even if he did say about how hard he was to deal with, he'd always back it up with how talented Axl is.

And his stance here is no different. Slash has been pretty consistent with how he feels about Axl all this time, if anything, in his time away from GN'R he has greater appreciation of Axl's talents these days because he doesn't have to deal with the bullshit.

I also agree that the public perception of Axl is much more Axl's own doing than anything Slash has or hasn't said about him.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Unfortunately Axl's bad public perception and it's persistance to this very day is largely his own doing.  Is it an accurate perception - probably not entirely.  But peoples perceptions are their realities so the only way to change that (if you wish to) is to try and show them something different going forward.  Simply arguing the facts (what Slash might have said or done, he's a cancer, a liar) won't change most peoples opinions - even if Axl is telling the truth.  It's too late, the damage is done, that horse has bolted long ago. 

You can only work on moving forward and demonstrating through your actions that peoples inital perception was incorrect, irrespective of what Slash has or hasn't said.  Unnfortuantely Axl hasn't had much success changing the publics perception of him and that has largely been due to his actions and behaviours since.

The ironic thing is that even though Slash pretty much says only nice or polite things about Axl these days when asked in interviews, I imagine this would still really piss off Axl, because again Slash is made to look like the gracious one out of this whole petty affair and Axl the angry, vindictive, spiteful child.

It's a bit like looking at the bands breakup as the 7 stages of grieving, Slash is at the final stage "Acceptance and Hope".  Axl is stuck at the "Anger" stage.

'¢Shock or Disbelief
'¢Denial
'¢Bargaining
'¢Guilt
'¢Anger
'¢Depression
'¢Acceptance and Hope

Sky Dog wrote:

does it matter either way? As of today, both seem to be doing pretty well. Axl/Slash is Waters/Gilmour for our generation....no need to argue anymore, it's over and let the dead bury the dead.

Board footer