You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: www.tommystinson.com

Axlin16 wrote:

I can't speak for anyone else, but i've just kind of moved on from the "fanboy" days of GN'R. I burned that screen shot Osaka 2009 show awhile back, haven't watched it yet. I burned that Tokyo 2009 show for audio, haven't listened. And I did see this Tommy backstage vid, and I was like "that's cool". And clicked on to something else on the net.

The fanboy days are just kind of over with me. It's ran it's course. The other night, when I watched the Rio show stream, and stayed online with it until finish, was something I haven't done with this band since Europe 2006.

GN'R right now are doing great, they're out touring, but guess what? So are alot of bands. And those bands have fans too. All good things come to an end, but in alot of ways, AXL WANTED THIS. He didn't want GN'R to be a U2-like hard rock band, doing stadiums with Slash. He didn't want to do promote, and shove GN'R down the throats of the world.

Well... you got it. This is the kind of following you get when you do that. Absolute hardcores, who yes, are typically the bitchers and complainers, but they also are, because they typically have no life, so they have the time, to follow your band religiously.

I'm sure ALL of us went through that phase with GN'R. And trust me, it doesn't last forever. All I can say, is enjoy it while it lasts, and when it's over for you, it's over, and just enjoy what music they do release, live your life, be happy, and that's all.

But that hardcore following, wanting behind the scenes this, bootleg that... it's just that - for hardcores only.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Well I tried to watch those vids but couldn't find them.  I clicked on Tommy's website and there was only the accoustic rehursal in NY which I watched a while ago.  I looked all over the website for other vids?

Where are the "2 new videos" that you talk about madagas?  Do I have to join the website to see them?

Re peoples interest, I think GNR are finally starting to do the right things (communicating more, touring etc) and actually are even in danger of looking like a real band and a cohesive unit at times.  What probably hurts them is that I feel and probably many others is that this is how NuGNR should have been from the start - from day one.  People have wanted them to act somewhat like a normal band for years and years and years.  Now they are finally doing it, it's probably anticlimatic, it's kinda like - hmmm well!  Maybe it's too late for a lot of people?

I don't know, I'm just speculating.  Personally I find the whole thing a bit anticlimatic to be honest.  The fact as others have pointed out they are touring in places that have zero relevance to me probably has an impact.  I mean in 2007 when they toured Oz I was pumped.  I went to the show in my state then spent lots of $$'s flying to 2 others shows on the east coast.

That feels like an age ago now - maybe my interest will be piqued if I hear they are coming down here again or that we are actually getting new music.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

jsut put ypur email in and then the website emails you the password for the other 4 vids....i thought they were cool smile

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

because they typically have no life, so they have the time, to follow your band religiously.

i cant speak for anyone else but i have a "life" and i still come on here....depends what you call a life i suppose 14

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

From my negative point of view...

The only tour footage Ive seen are the Rose Bar videos, they were pretty cool and the band seemed tight, but I have no interest in the current lineup bar Axl and Tommy. The revolving door lineup just doesn't appeal to me and I wont waste time bothering with updates from guys who could be gone tomorrow.

I rarely post due to my negative attitude towards the band, however, whilst not all of the frequent updates appeal to me, I consider them all to be a huge step in the right direction in re-building bridges with the fanbase.

If the band lineup and updates both remain consistent I'm sure I'll attend a UK arena show with a positive attitude smile

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

I hate having to sign up to a website just to view the vid - I refuse to do that!!

I really liked those Rose Bar vids - they were some of the coolest GNR vids I have seen for a while.  But as for other backstage stuff, unless there is a lot of Axl in them (is he in these other vids you sign up for?), I don't have a lot of interest in them.  To be honest I would be more interested in all the UYI Tour/backstage footage that's in their vaults than this stuff.

At this stage from this lineup I am only mainly interested in a concert near me or new music.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Aussie wrote:

I hate having to sign up to a website just to view the vid - I refuse to do that!!

Understandable, but as far as I know you don't get any spam e-mail or anything from signing up.  You just get an e-mail whenever Tommy puts up another video.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
downliner wrote:

From my negative point of view...

The only tour footage Ive seen are the Rose Bar videos, they were pretty cool and the band seemed tight, but I have no interest in the current lineup bar Axl and Tommy. The revolving door lineup just doesn't appeal to me and I wont waste time bothering with updates from guys who could be gone tomorrow.

I have to admit the revolving door soured my fanaticism. Standing behind a "new" band back in 01 was different. I felt (at the time anyway) that this was a new band, and after seeing them in Vegas was blown away. I was willing to accept that as "GNR" back then. Now...not so much. In some ways it's kinda a bummer. These days, especially looking back, my view on the entire saga (band break up, new band reforms etc) has changed. I won't say what I've been thinking these days, as it will just stir up more tired old arguments. Really too, they aren't worth arguing anyway; it is what it is at this point.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I've gotta go ahead and say I'm guilty of this. I think it might be because with them in other countries it seems like they're "so far away" so to speak. Does that make any sense?

Maybe if I had tickets to a US show(s) to be pumped about I'd feel different. The reason I say that is because of late 09. I was excited to hear the bootlegs of the songs that hadn't been played live but other than that, I wasn't as excited as I usually get.

Then when I got ahold of tickets to the 2 Canadian shows, I was ALL sorts of pumped. I think when the fiasco happened to me, it really took A LOT of steam out of me. I say that knowing full well that the whole thing had nothing to do with anyone but myself, but it still totally and completely bummed me out.

And now I think that since I don't have tickets to US shows in hand, I'm not jumping up and down like I normally would be. Again, I know it's only April and even if a US tour does start, that it won't be until much later in the year and tickets will go on sale much later. And of course, this is all only a guess anyways.

But I couldn't agree more that this is what we all bitched about for so long. I remember getting in a shouting match of sorts with Jarmo when the whole "we can't update our website because of the big bag MLB" story came along. My point the whole time was; OK. How fucking hard is it to get a GN'R fb page, a GN'R Twitter, use a band members webpage, do a press release... SOMETHING?!?!

Well here we are and they're doing ALL of that and WAY more. So I'm excited as hell about it. I just think that maybe my own selfish wants/needs to get to shows is keeping me in a suspended state of bummed. Make any sense at all?

I still love and support the band but even MY interest has waned a little bit the past few weeks/months.  I was so stoked with the shows in Asia and Canada, then the acoustic gigs in NY.  I would stay up late and follow the setlists as they happened.  And even at the start of the South American shows with the shows being streamed in Brazil, I loved all that and was there for most of it.  But for some reason after the shows in Brazil I stopped following them so intently.  Maybe it's because the updates don't seem to be as frequent, I don't know.  But I used to watch any and every youtube video I could come across of any of the shows and I don't think I've watched one since the shows in Brazil.  I loved all the pictures that were being shared too, but even those I skim through now instead of really taking time to look at them.

I'm still here though, so obviously I still care enough.  I always said it would be a great idea for them to tour outside of the US first to build up some momentum.  Well they listened, and now we're paying the price.  It's almost like, "enough already.  We get it.  Come home now!"  But I'm sure they won't diss the US completely.  We'll get our chance in due time.  We waited 15 years for an album, I suppose we can wait ONE for a tour.

johndivney wrote:
faldor wrote:

they're almost bending over backwards to make us feel a part of something special.

i wouldn't go that far. a 2min clip of tommy & a couple of guys going out to lunch isn't exactly almost bending over backwards.. it's sitting in front of a comp for an hour editing then uploading the video..
BUT the collection of groovy stuff we'll have by the end of the tour will be massive.. but it's not like they're giving us rare stuff or even extensive info or interviews regarding the CD process..
this stuff is nice but it still refuses to get too indepth - imo the most revealing footage of the latest tour came via the trailer park boys clip..

Board footer