You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Slash album reviews

Axlin16 wrote:

Well i'm taking a Business Law class, and the mother fucker is the most boring class i've ever been in.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Business Law rivals Business Calculus for the most boring classes ever.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Well i'm taking a Business Law class, and the mother fucker is the most boring class i've ever been in.

It might be boring as hell, but it will help later on.  Trust me.

Business Calc is quite interesting. Not nearly as interesting as integrating calc into economics studies however.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
Gong wrote:

Axl Rose said

What I'd tell any kid in high school is "Take business classes." I don't care what else you're gonna do, if you're gonna do art or anything, take business classes. You can say, "Well, I don't want to get commercial," but if you do anything to make any money, you're doing something commercial. You can be flipping hamburgers at McDonald's, but you're a commercial burger flipper.

http://chinese-democracy.blogspot.com/2 … -rose.html

In the chats, a fan asked him for advice on how to get started in the musicbuisness or something like that. Axl's answer was:
"Follow your heart, don't sell out and read every book on the biz u can find."

smile

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Naltav wrote:
Gong wrote:

Axl Rose said

What I'd tell any kid in high school is "Take business classes." I don't care what else you're gonna do, if you're gonna do art or anything, take business classes. You can say, "Well, I don't want to get commercial," but if you do anything to make any money, you're doing something commercial. You can be flipping hamburgers at McDonald's, but you're a commercial burger flipper.

http://chinese-democracy.blogspot.com/2 … -rose.html

In the chats, a fan asked him for advice on how to get started in the musicbuisness or something like that. Axl's answer was:

smile

"...have good lawyers, and last, but not least, don't forget to get the name" wink

Naltav

Naltav wrote:
Communist China wrote:

I wish I had the quote but I think that Rogers Stevens of Blind Melon said it best back when people called the Hoon-less reunion of Melon a sell out. His point was, of course it's a sell out. You're doing it to make money. There's no degree of acceptable commercialization - either you're in it for the money or you're not.

I think what he said was "if we weren't sell outs we would just play music in our houses. the act of touring is selling out, recording an album on a label is selling out, anything where you make money is selling out".

It's a business. You're in it to make money.

I've never heard about the Hoon-less reunion.

Just because Roger Stevens thinks that way, doesn't mean every artist that does music is in it to make money.

I have plenty of friends here in Norway who has released a lot of albums and toured all over Norway, Europe and even Mexico. Neither of them made a profit. They make just enough to cover their costs and make up for the time they had to take off their dayjobs to be able to do what they love.

And didn't Tom Zutaut say Axl is the only artist he ever worked with who truly didn't care about money?

Axl and Slash seems to have different values when it comes to certain things. And I know which I prefer....  smile

Naltav

Naltav wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
Naltav wrote:

smile

"...have good lawyers, and last, but not least, don't forget to get the name" wink

It's normal in "band-world", the guy who starts the band gets to keep the name. Many bands go through a lot of incarnations. If it gets big, be smart, get in writing. Axl did. Blackie Lawless prolly did, Hetfield & Ullrich prolly did...  smile

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Naltav wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
Naltav wrote:

smile

It's normal in "band-world", the guy who starts the band gets to keep the name. Many bands go through a lot of incarnations. If it gets big, be smart, get in writing. Axl did. Blackie Lawless prolly did, Hetfield & Ullrich prolly did...  smile

Problem is that Axl thinks (to be correct: he says) that the name defines the band, hence he, who found out the name, is Guns N' Roses. In reality Guns N' Roses was nothing till the classic line-up got together and would have remained nothing without Slash & Co. 5 made the band, it wasn't a 'lead singer only' band.

If we are talking about greed, then Axl Rose is one of the firsts whose name comes to my mind.

Naltav

Naltav wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
Naltav wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

Problem is that Axl thinks (to be correct: he says) that the name defines the band, hence he, found out the name, is Guns N' Roses. In reality Guns N' Roses was nothing till the classic line-up got together and would have remained nothing without Slash & Co. 5 made the band, it wasn't a 'lead singer only' band.

If we are talking about greed, then Axl Rose is one of the firsts whose name comes to my mind.

Not exactly sure what you meant by that last post....  hmm

Yeah, 5 people was in the band. One was fired and three left.

The band carried on with Axl at the wheel.

If you loved the old band more then the new or the other way around or both, that's cool either way...

Size of venues/stadiums and number of people in attendence during the last DECADE speaks volumes of who was the most important part of the original band. There is no desputing that fact! Everything else is just personal preferences!

This old bitter argument between old-GNR and nu-GNR fans has proven to be futile. So I'm done....

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:

Size of venues/stadiums and number of people in attendence during the last DECADE speaks volumes of who was the most important part of the original band. There is no desputing that fact! Everything else is just personal preferences!

Good Point

Board footer