You are not logged in. Please register or login.

dr_love6977
 Rep: 38 

Re: Reb Beach: Kirk Hammett is one of the worst guitar players...

dr_love6977 wrote:

Classic Rock Revisited's Jeb Wright and Jesse Lee recently conducted an interview with WINGER/WHITESNAKE guitarist Reb Beach for the "Decades Of Distortion" show on the Arkansas City, Kansas radio station KACY 102.5 FM.

When asked about the comparisons between his playing and that of METALLICA guitarist Kirk Hammett, Beach said, "I don't know the guy [Kirk], but I think he's one of the worst guitar players I've ever heard in my life. I've never heard a solo from that guy that was any good. . . This guy is out of tune, and his vibration... what is it? Vibrato. Oh my god. It sounds like a beginner."

He continued, "Back in the '80s, he was always voted best guitar player, and I'm like, 'What?! That guy is terrible.'

"I hate to say that because I might meet him one day.

"What's he play in? MEGADETH? METALLICA? Is he in METALLICA? Oh, then I have no problem doing that because in their biggest video, 'Nothing Else Matters', when they threw darts at a poster of Kip Winger, and then they showed it live '” 20,000 people every night laughing at WINGER '” I don't mind saying that Kirk Hammett sucks."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe … mID=137982

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
dr_love6977 wrote:

Classic Rock Revisited's Jeb Wright and Jesse Lee recently conducted an interview with WINGER/WHITESNAKE guitarist Reb Beach for the "Decades Of Distortion" show on the Arkansas City, Kansas radio station KACY 102.5 FM.

When asked about the comparisons between his playing and that of METALLICA guitarist Kirk Hammett, Beach said, "I don't know the guy [Kirk], but I think he's one of the worst guitar players I've ever heard in my life. I've never heard a solo from that guy that was any good. . . This guy is out of tune, and his vibration... what is it? Vibrato. Oh my god. It sounds like a beginner."

He continued, "Back in the '80s, he was always voted best guitar player, and I'm like, 'What?! That guy is terrible.'

"I hate to say that because I might meet him one day.

"What's he play in? MEGADETH? METALLICA? Is he in METALLICA? Oh, then I have no problem doing that because in their biggest video, 'Nothing Else Matters', when they threw darts at a poster of Kip Winger, and then they showed it live '” 20,000 people every night laughing at WINGER '” I don't mind saying that Kirk Hammett sucks."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe … mID=137982

I saw Reb last year. He's an unbelievable guitarist. Kept making a "metal face" though which was gay. But he knows guitar though he tends to OVER shred

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Obviously he KNOWS Kirk Hammet plays for Metallica.  If he didn't how could he say he's never heard a good solo from the guy?  And since he knows he's in Metallica there's obviously no love lost there since they AND Beavis and Butthead put a dagger through Winger's career in the early 90's.  People do say Winger was quite a talented band musically and didn't deserve the flack they got.  I can't confirm or deny that.  Anyone?

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

Haha this shit is hilarious.  Reb doesn't sound bitter AT ALL.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

That sounds exactly like Mikka talking about Robin. 16

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
faldor wrote:

Obviously he KNOWS Kirk Hammet plays for Metallica.  If he didn't how could he say he's never heard a good solo from the guy?  And since he knows he's in Metallica there's obviously no love lost there since they AND Beavis and Butthead put a dagger through Winger's career in the early 90's.  People do say Winger was quite a talented band musically and didn't deserve the flack they got.  I can't confirm or deny that.  Anyone?

I don't know about technical ability, but they were a solid melodic rock act, if you're in to that AOR sound.

I don't think they're anything that stands out though. Just a solid, radio-ready rock act, to come out of that era. The problem is, Metallica was doing something in the thrash scene that was catching the eye of everyone, whereas Winger got lost in a sea of Whitesnake, Bon Jovi, Warrant, Firehouse, Slaughter, etc.

There certaintly isn't a Paul Gilbert (Mr. Big), hiding in Winger. They don't have that kind of ability.

The guy is bitter at Kirk, but I don't blame him to be honest. If your band, what you worked your ass off for, was made fun of, and being made out to be pussies, simply because that was your sound... i'd be pissed off too.

Metallica, despite what they think, were corporate pussies by 1988 too, and if anything got more push and heat from the business, than Winger could ever dream of. Yet, Winger is gay. Kind of hypocritical.

With that said, I never caught onto Winger. The riff to Headin' For A Heartbreak were catchy, but Winger's voice and that cheesy video made it a bit too much sap to swallow.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
faldor wrote:

I don't know about technical ability, but they were a solid melodic rock act, if you're in to that AOR sound.

I don't think they're anything that stands out though. Just a solid, radio-ready rock act, to come out of that era. The problem is, Metallica was doing something in the thrash scene that was catching the eye of everyone, whereas Winger got lost in a sea of Whitesnake, Bon Jovi, Warrant, Firehouse, Slaughter, etc.

There certaintly isn't a Paul Gilbert (Mr. Big), hiding in Winger. They don't have that kind of ability.

The guy is bitter at Kirk, but I don't blame him to be honest. If your band, what you worked your ass off for, was made fun of, and being made out to be pussies, simply because that was your sound... i'd be pissed off too.

Metallica, despite what they think, were corporate pussies by 1988 too, and if anything got more push and heat from the business, than Winger could ever dream of. Yet, Winger is gay. Kind of hypocritical.

With that said, I never caught onto Winger. The riff to Headin' For A Heartbreak were catchy, but Winger's voice and that cheesy video made it a bit too much sap to swallow.

You think ...AJFA turned them into corporate pussies? 14

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I think doing videos for One, and nominating them for Grammy's, AMA's and all that shit, pretty much ended their underground, "we're hardcore" days.

Winger and Metallica both had record deals. They were both under contract. They were both recording for the same exact end game. Money and pussy.

What's the difference?

dr_love6977
 Rep: 38 

dr_love6977 wrote:
faldor wrote:

Obviously he KNOWS Kirk Hammet plays for Metallica.  If he didn't how could he say he's never heard a good solo from the guy?musically and didn't deserve the flack they got.  I can't confirm or deny that.  Anyone?

I agree with this. I think that Reb Beach is a hell of a guitarist, but that statement, and the whole vibration/vibrato thing makes him come off like a tool.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Kirk's live playing was pretty flawless back in the 80's and into the mid-late 90's, and I always held him in high regard, but Kirk live these days is sloppy as hell. He can't play half of his solos anymore.

Board footer