You are not logged in. Please register or login.

dr_love6977
 Rep: 38 

Re: Is the universe a hologram?

dr_love6977 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
dr_love6977 wrote:

Is there a sparknotes version?

Yeah, I can sum it up in a couple sentences....

The universe is a hologram.

Everything we see is an illusion.

Mainstream science is now taking a look at this old theory and is on the verge of proving it by accident(they were looking for "gravity waves" which Einstein said existed. They found that noise instead, which the holographic theory predicted).

Its mind blowing shit and we live in interesting times. Many years of study are gonna have to be done long before they can announce we are a hologram, but the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, and scientists have walked several steps.

Interesting that black holes that have puzzled astronomers for decades are playing a pivotal role in this. Every theory about black holes has always been outlandish and hard to fathom, and it's going to be hilarious if the massive black holes that live in the middle of galaxies are not star and galaxy eating monsters like once thought, but instead "projectors" of the universal hologram.

If this is ever proven, it will be the most important discovery that mankind will ever make. Life will literally never be the same.

Is the gist that what we're doing now may be actually happening somewhere lightyears from here, but it's actually being communicated between molecules through some incomprehensible connection?

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Interesting stuff. Somthing Stargate Universe should look into, make a good episode or two.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

My brain hurts...

It's hard to wrap your head around, because it completely goes against everything we've been talked to for years. From science class to TV.

Actually, in the grand scheme of things it does make sense. Just look at how the universe operates and all its laws. It's basically a giant machine in constant motion. 

I do agree that if proven, all the books have to be thrown in the garbage, including the bible. A holographic universe doesn't disprove the existence of God. If anything, it proves there is a supreme being of some sort, just not the one mentioned in the bible. In a holographic universe, there are other fish for God to fry besides watching me eat a french dip sandwich or watching Buzzsaw listen to a Slash album.

When this gains even more traction, scientists are gonna have to start wondering things beyond the hologram like the possibility that we are just a computer simulation run by a more advanced being. If we are able to come to terms with being a hologram, being a computer sim is just a tiny step from that.

Like the article states, the "life is illusion" thing has been floating around for thousands of years. We've just reached the point technologically where we are traveling down the road that may prove that.

what is life?

The quadrillion dollar question. Can this even be answered, hologram or no hologram? No matter how deep in space we look or how many physicists solve various puzzles, I don't think we can ever truly know the answer to that question.

Life is precious, complex, valuable, yet meaningless at the same time. Our place in the universe and our existence is irrelevant, yet we are intelligent enough to ponder these questions and potentially figure out how to get a peak behind the curtain.

Is advanced life such as ours an anomaly? Hard to imagine a creator creating something where a species comes to fruition that can solve its puzzles and see the big picture.

Maybe advanced civilizations die off before reaching that critical point.

To quote Woody Allen....

What if everything is an illusion and nothing exists? In that case, I definitely overpaid for my carpet.

Makes me think about the South Park episode, where we were all apart of a TV show called "Earth", which aired on TV in another galaxy by aliens.

We were then cancelled due to getting tired and repetitive, and our ratings were starting to slip.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

It's something I think is very likely. I've always felt that we exist at a level that we are only capable of understanding right now. That everything we see around us, more than likely isn't as it appears, but only is what we're able to comprehend at this phase of our development. "Life is but a dream" is very fitting indeed.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

So what happens when we die? We're simply not part of the hologram anymore?

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:
DCK wrote:

So what happens when we die? We're simply not part of the hologram anymore?

Like BSG, we download to another body smile  Might explain some peoples feeling of a past life.   I dont know if I believe we are holograms as such, but I do believe there is more to this life stuff than meets the eye...and that doesnt include anything religious.  I`d ban everyone bloody one of them if I could.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

You know, years ago scientists predicted, and some said "2012", that the world would not in fact end, but would be a birth in massive technology advances, and scientific awareness. Religion would go the way of being mythology, and "your fore fathers" belief, kind of like we now view Druidism and magik.

People would start to believe in technology.

In would be mighty ironic, if this belief took force, and we as mankind started looking at ourself on a computer/technological level, like downloading conciousness to devices, and being part of holograms.

Just a thought

mickronson

mickronson wrote:

made me wanna listen to Motorhead - God Was Never On Your Side..
fuckin quality

mickronson

mickronson wrote:

sorry to bump such an old thread but there is a programme on bbc2 now talking about this 'hologram' theory....I am recording it.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

If it hits youtube I'll have to check it out.

Board footer