You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: The 2010-11 NFL Season Thread

misterID wrote:

Just heard he's not officially been waived yet... If there's a big stink they could pull it back. Despite the record, Harvin and Peterson have thrived because he's there. On top of it, Rice is coming back soon. This could still be a dynamic team... But Childress is a dick. Don't think he'll go back on this decision.

And Leslie Frazier is the guy who would take over if Chilly is fired. Frazier will be a head coach somewhere next year. Why not make the move for him now? It's a good chance to see how he'll do as coach.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

update:

Rumor is Vikings managment didn't approve of Moss being released. Childress didn't even run it by them before doing it, or trying it, because he still hasn't been released yet.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Wow. Might as well just go ahead and release him. The damage has already been done. Keeping him there would just drown that team in more drama and be a knock out blow for the entire season.

Release Moss and fire Childress in a 1-2 punch....

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

gotta love the drama

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/39954540/ns/sports-nfl/

By DAVE CAMPBELL

updated 7:54 p.m. ET Nov. 1, 2010

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. - Just four weeks ago, Randy Moss gushed about returning to Minnesota. He felt fortunate to return to his first team and was looking forward to seeing those purple No. 84 jerseys again.

So much for the happy reunion.

After three disappointing losses in four games, Vikings players confirmed Monday that coach Brad Childress informed them during a team meeting that the wide receiver had been let go. The move had not been made official with the league but Moss' agent, Joel Segal, said he's been in contact with Minnesota and the delay was "merely a technical thing," he said in an e-mail.

The NFL Network first reported the struggling Vikings (2-5) had waived the six-time Pro Bowler less than a month after acquiring him from New England for a third-round draft pick. The cut came one day after Moss' rant following a 28-18 loss the Patriots, during which he was wistful about his days in New England and critical of the Vikings for not taking his game-planning advice.

It was another shocker in tumultuous season for a team that began the year with Super Bowl aspirations. Childress and other Vikings officials didn't respond to messages seeking confirmation of the decision.

About an hour before the news came out, Childress took 12 consecutive questions during his regular news conference about Moss, his effort, and his mindset in response to a rant by Moss following Sunday night's 28-18 loss to the Patriots.

Moss, who was fined $25,000 last week for failing to cooperate with the media and make himself regularly available for interviews, stepped to the podium after the game but announced he wouldn't take any questions. He repeatedly expressed admiration for coach Bill Belichick and his former team and criticized the Vikings for not taking enough of his game-planning advice.

Moss had only one catch for 8 yards against the Patriots. In four games for the Vikings, he had 13 receptions for 174 yards and two touchdowns.

Childress didn't mention the move when he talked to reporters Monday and said Moss was staying back in the Boston area for a few days to spend time with family. Asked whether he regretted acquiring Moss, the coach said "not at present."

Moss, who was traded from Minnesota to Oakland in 2005 after finding his share of trouble and frustrating the organization with his attitude, expressed eagerness to connect with Brett Favre when he arrived and talked about how much he still loved Vikings fans some 5½ years after his departure.

While his presence opened the field for wide receiver Percy Harvin, who has blossomed into one of the league's most dangerous offensive players, Moss never materialized into the deep threat the Vikings sought when they traded for him Oct. 7. His longest catch was a 37-yarder, and he was only targeted twice against the Patriots.

"I'm definitely down that we lost this game. I didn't expect we'd lose this game," Moss said. "I don't know how many more times I'll be in New England again. But I leave coach Belichick and those guys with a salute: 'I love you guys. I miss you. I'm out.'"

Childress said Monday he didn't see Moss' remarks as "incendiary." The closest he came to criticizing him was acknowledging he could've caught a pass that fell incomplete in the end zone while the Patriots were called for pass interference.

"But again, I don't know," Childress said. "He was restricted. If they called pass interference, there had to be some kind of restriction."

Asked whether he felt Moss had been playing hard, Childress said, "He's playing hard when he needs to play hard."

Linebacker Ben Leber was one of a handful of players who appeared in the locker room and expressed surprise at the move. But he didn't sound happy about Moss' postgame remarks, either.

"It was just, 'Wow,'" Leber said. "Just because it sounded like it was unprompted and sounded like he wanted to get some stuff off his chest. He certainly has every right to do that. I don't think that's the way to do it."

Leber said Childress didn't give the team much of an explanation.

"He didn't really dive into any details," Leber said. "Just said, 'That's where we're going to go with it.'"

Moss's contract called for a $6.4 million base salary this season — leaving the Vikings on the hook for at least $1.5 million. If Moss is claimed on waivers, the team that signs him is responsible for the remainder of his salary. If he clears waivers, then he can sign as a free agent under new terms.

Claiming priority is based on inverse order of the current standings, so the Patriots — who lead the league at 6-1 — would be last. Belichick declined comment Monday.

"You can't bait me into it," he said.

His players, though, expressed surprise that their former teammate is available again.

"I'm just hearing about this right now. Crazy," right guard Stephen Neal said.

Whether Moss would be welcomed back, well, that's up to Belichick.

"Whatever he decides we're open to as a team, and I'm sure he'll do what's best for the organization," wide receiver Wes Welker said.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

MINNEAPOLIS (AP)—Two people with knowledge of Randy Moss’(notes) status tell The Associated Press that the Minnesota Vikings have waived the receiver.

The people spoke Tuesday on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to release the information publicly.

Vikings coach Brad Childress told his players on Monday that he intended to waive Moss. He released a statement saying he felt the move was in the best interests of the team “both in the short and long term.”

Teams will have until 4 p.m. Eastern time on Wednesday to place a claim on Moss. The team with the worst record will win the claim. Winless Buffalo has the first shot at him.

If Moss is not claimed, he will be free to sign a new contract with any team and the Vikings would be on the hook for rest of his salary.

AP Pro Football Writer Howard Fendrich contributed to this report.

--------------------------------------------------------

question...why even waive him if they may be on the hook for his salary anyway? wouldnt it just be better to bench him? that way their opponents dont get to use him against them? what a clusterfuck the vikings turned out to be this year, Favre is done, get him the fuck out of the game its like he's playing jsut to get his consecutive streak to 300 or something then he'll call it a career

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

shawne merriman was waived today too

....and Mankins finally reported to the pats

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Boorish behavior also contributed to Moss’ demise
Michael Silver

By Michael Silver, Yahoo! Sports

When Minnesota Vikings coach Brad Childress told his players Monday afternoon that Randy Moss(notes)  would be released because “we want good people that are good football players, and this just doesn’t fit,” several of them nodded their approval. Though Childress isn’t especially popular in the locker room, some Vikings were on board with his decision to move on without Moss four weeks after the polarizing wideout was reacquired in a trade with the New England Patriots.

Even before Sunday’s surreal address to the media following the Vikings’ 28-18 defeat to the Patriots at Gillette Stadium – during which he questioned Childress’ leadership while effusively praising his former coach, Bill Belichick, and the Patriots’ organization – Moss had alienated some of his teammates with his brash, entitled behavior, most glaringly in an incident that occurred in the team’s locker room last Friday afternoon, Yahoo! Sports has learned.

As is the team’s custom on Fridays, a local food establishment was invited to the training facility to serve a catered, post-practice meal in the locker room. In this case, a St. Paul restaurant that is a favorite of former Vikings center Matt Birk(notes). As the proprietors helped serve chicken, ribs, pasta and other dishes to Vikings players, Moss paced up and down the serving line and loudly expressed his displeasure with the offerings.

According to one player who witnessed the scene, Moss yelled, “What the [expletive]? Who ordered this crap? I wouldn’t feed this to my dog!”

Said the witness: “It was brutal. The truth is, he deserved to be cut after that. It was such an uncomfortable moment. You know that feeling where you just can tell someone feels so small? That’s what it was like being there.

“This wasn’t a chain – it was a mom-and-pop restaurant, and you could tell it was their best stuff. They had a special carving station set up, and there were players and other support staff lining up to eat it. And [Moss] is at his locker saying, ‘You know, I used to have to eat that crap – but now I’ve got money.’ You just felt so sad for them. I had never seen anyone treated like that.

“And by the way, the food was actually really good.”

While Moss had his share of supporters in the locker room, some Vikings had grown disillusioned with his attitude. From the receiver’s uneven effort in practice to his displays of self-centeredness off the field, some veterans believed Moss was becoming a bad influence to young players like second-year wideout Percy Harvin(notes).

There was also locker room speculation about Moss’ effort – or lack thereof – on two plays in recent games. With the Vikes facing a last-gasp fourth-down pass in a 28-24 defeat to the Packers in Green Bay two Sundays ago, quarterback Brett Favre(notes) threw a high pass in the back of the end zone that sailed over Moss’ head, though it didn’t appear as though the receiver made an effort to jump for the ball.

In Sunday’s game against the Patriots, with the Vikings trailing by 10 midway through the fourth quarter, Moss drew a pass-interference penalty on Patriots safety Brandon Meriweather(notes) while streaking down the left sideline. It appeared as though Moss might have been able to catch the pass for a touchdown after the penalty occurred but that he broke off the route once the flag was thrown.

The Vikings got the ball at the New England 9 and scored four plays later, though not before Favre sustained a lacerated chin that knocked him from the game.

Most of all, however, Moss’ treatment of the restauranteurs in the locker room convinced some teammates that he wasn’t worth the trouble. Since becoming the Vikings’ coach in 2006, Childress has consistently preached that he wants “good people who are good football players,” and Moss clearly didn’t seem to be projecting himself as someone who fits in the former category.

When Childress, according to one person in Monday’s meeting, said of Moss, “This just doesn’t fit with how we treat people, how we talk to people and how we act,” it was clear that he was referring to the incident that occurred last Friday. Sunday’s stream-of-consciousness statement to the media only reinforced the internal perception that Moss was going out of his way to disrespect the organization.

With all of that said, Childress still has major credibility issues with his players, most of whom side with Favre in his ongoing clash with the coach. And there’s no guarantee Childress will stay the coach for the remainder of the season. However, his decision to part ways with Moss was, for some, viewed as an understandable consequence of the receiver’s behavior.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=m … vior110210

An extremely low class move by Moss, in my opinion.  Combine that and the bizarre rant after the Sunday and you pretty much have all the evidence you need for the reasons for the release.

Neemo, even if the season is down the tubes, you don't really want Moss and his surly attitude rubbing off on the younger players and affecting them.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Agreed on Moss.  If you're thinking strictly about on the field stuff, it's a moronic move for the Vikings to just waive Moss.  But there's probably a good reason he's basically been let go by 2 teams in a month's time.  Problem is, the Vikings should've seen this coming.  Was it worth gambling a 3rd round pick on Randy?  Obviously it worked out worse than anyone could've predicted.

I know this will come as no surprise coming from me, but I have to give the Patriots a lot of credit.  When they traded Randy, I initially didn't understand the move at all.  The thing is though, they were probably fearful that Randy would do this stuff to them.  So instead, before it got any worse in New England, they shipped him out and had somebody else deal with it.

Now, is third time a charm?  Will he behave wherever he ends up?  I'd say yes, he basically has to because after all he is playing for a contract for next season.  Then again, this is Randy Moss and he plays by his own set of rules.  He didn't play out his contract in Minnesota or Oakland before, so maybe he'll continue on that trend and hope that his past successes and pure talent will cause a team to take a chance on him regardless of all the baggage, AGAIN!

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

the patriots could afford to let him go.

The biggest thing about this that makes childress and the vikings look stupid is that the behavior displayed by randy was inevidable.

he's alway been a drama queen, he's always been prone to putting his foot in his mouth, and he's always been at his worse when he's not getting the ball and his team is losing.

the vikings were losing and that is why they took him. they were desperate.

NEWS FLASH: they are still losing and they are still desperate.

yet they dumped moss, who opened up things for the rest of the offense without even making any catches and there is always the chance that he is gonna catch a 50 yard td to win the game.

the vikings have a much easier schedule from here on out and are still within reasonable distance of catcing the packers if they get things turned around.

trading a 3rd round pick for moss and then cutting him when you need him the most was the stupidest thing i have seen since childress elected to go for a td at the end of the half agasint the pats when a fg gives you the lead and momentum gong in to half time and the ensuing kick off.

the truth of the matter is he questioned childress and was an easy scapegoat.

rumors in minnesota are flying that childress did this unilaterally.

I am a minnesota nativ and pretty much everyone here has had enough of childress.

Board footer