You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: The 2010-11 NFL Season Thread

faldor wrote:

Well, like you said, Randy didn't make a difference in the 4 games he played with the Vikings.  So it's kind of hard to argue that they NEED him now to win.  I know he's a supreme talent and can make the Wes Welker's and Percy Harvin's of the world amp their games up.  But the Vikings had one win with Randy against a terrible Cowboys team at home and if it weren't for a kick return by Harvin they may have lost that game as well.

It's hard to say they played any better with Moss than without him, so I really don't think it's that big a loss.  They still have a relatively easy schedule, so they still have a shot.  But I don't hold out much hope for them.  They, like the Cowboys, appear to be just not that good a team.  The complete lack of a pass rush is mind boggling to me.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

He did make a difference...

the vikes averaged 10 more points per game with Randy.

That's huge in only four games.  It certainly would have went up as he got acclimated and, like i said, the schdeule got easier.

I also disagree that the they are "just not a good team". They lost no starters from the team that went to the nfc championship and shoulda went to the sb and they are not an exceedingly old team so it's not like they lost their abilities.

they have become a circus, starting with favre, and circuses don't win a lot of football games.

FIRE CHILI!!!!!!!!!

faldor

faldor wrote:

Well I didn't mean talent wise they weren't a good team.  But there's only so much you can go on, on paper.  If you continually lose games that you COULD'VE won, I define that as not a good team.

Yes they scored more points with Randy, but they still didn't win.  You have to score more points than the other team to have a positive effect.  That didn't happen.  And no Randy doesn't play defense so it's hard to blame that on him.  BUT, the Patriots defense has played worlds better since Randy left.  The Vikings D didn't give up more than 14 points in a game before Randy came aboard.  Could just be a coincidence.  Or it could be a trend.  Maybe the team as a whole feels that WITH Randy Moss, they will score more points so they lose a little focus and killer instinct on defense.  Also I have no stats to back this up, but maybe time of possession with Randy is much less than without him due to the makeup of the offensive schemes, thus leaving the defense on the field longer and wearing them down.

Again, Randy Moss was dropped by two high profile teams in less than a month.  That's saying something.  One team was doing pretty well, and they felt they'd be better off without him.  One team was struggling, and they felt they'd be better off without him.  I know Moss' teammates love him, but he doesn't seem to set the best precedent for young players in practice.  He's limited in the routes he can run.  And he doesn't give near 100% on every play.  He's good at what he does and he opens things up for the offense, but maybe at this stage in his career the negatives outweigh the positives.

Bottom line, when the Patriots traded Moss I didn't think it made any sense or how they'd possibly be a better team without him.  Well, so far, so good.  The same thing could happen for the Vikings.  I know it looks woeful right now, but maybe the team rallies around this thing.  There's still time left, as the NFC is still wide open.  Getting Sidney Rick back would help.  But first things first, that defense has to get their act together.  All the pieces seem to be there, so I don't see why it can't happen.  I hope they can turn it around and prove that Randy Moss isn't the key to having a successful football team.  He's been doing his best to prove that so far this season.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

one of the things that made the pats so great when they won the SB was that they were a bunch of team guys that excelled in Belicheck's system...no one was the best but as a team they made shit happen

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

The Titans claimed Randy Moss.  As a fan, I'm cautiously optimistic about this.  They like to throw a lot of long passes so he'll be happy to get the ball.  Jeff Fisher, for all my numerous complaints about him actually got pro bowl seasons out of Pac Man Jones, Albert Haynesworth, and Kerry Collins (in 2008). 

Their top WR just went out with a significant hamstring injury.  If this doesn't work out, they're only out 3.3 million dollars.  OTOH, TEN is pretty much a WR graveyard.  Guys who go there either get injured or just plain suck.

So the Titans finally get Randy Moss.  They passed on him in 1998 and picked Kevin Dyson instead.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

So the Titans finally get Randy Moss.  They passed on him in 1998 and picked Kevin Dyson instead.

Smart move. 14

slashsfro wrote:

TEN is pretty much a WR graveyard.  Guys who go there either get injured or just plain suck.

Randy's gonna be real pleased about that. 16

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Merrimen is now a Buffalo Bill. Poor guy 16

misterID

misterID wrote:

You know, Michael Irvin once stabbed a fellow teamate in the neck with a pair of scissors for not getting out of a barbers chair when he demanded him to.

Throwing a fit over a lunch ain't that bad.

My opinion, the owner was behind the Moss trade. Childress was against it. He took this as an excuse to get rid of him. What. An. Idiot.

faldor

faldor wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

The Titans claimed Randy Moss.  As a fan, I'm cautiously optimistic about this.  They like to throw a lot of long passes so he'll be happy to get the ball.  Jeff Fisher, for all my numerous complaints about him actually got pro bowl seasons out of Pac Man Jones, Albert Haynesworth, and Kerry Collins (in 2008). 

Their top WR just went out with a significant hamstring injury.  If this doesn't work out, they're only out 3.3 million dollars.  OTOH, TEN is pretty much a WR graveyard.  Guys who go there either get injured or just plain suck.

Hey Dyson was ONE yard short of a Super Bowl.  All would've been forgiven if he got that extra yard.

I know I said this when Randy went to the Vikings, but I'd have to imagine Randy will behave and make it work THIS time.  The Titans have a solid team.  The injury to Britt hurts.  You could make a strong argument that he's a better overall player than Moss right now.  Obviously though, Randy is a decent plan B.  He should open things up for whoever the hell the Titans choose to use as their slot receiver.  Chris Johnson too. 

I think it's pretty telling that only one team put a claim in on Moss.  Obviously the risk outweighed the reward for the most part.  Fisher might be able to harness Randy a bit though.  It was apparent he had no respect for Childress.

misterID

misterID wrote:

I think that the one team putting a claim for him had more to do with trying to get him without picking up his salary. It was more of a gamble than anything.

Board footer