You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: The 2010-11 NFL Season Thread

James wrote:

I haven't watched ANY of the NFL shows this offseason. Kind of a scary thought. It's the last sport I watch every season and if I drift away from it, that's pretty much it for me. Always hated baseball, stopped watching basketball right around when Pippen retired, don't pay much attention to women sports anymore as the next gen always comes in so quickly and I got sick of keeping up to date, and don't give two shits about hockey, soccer,etc.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I get into the draft, then tune out for several weeks.  I could care less about football aside from training camp thru the SB.  However the last few years I don't get as excited  about training camp starting as I used to.  Still like it during the season, I think it's the best sport.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

It's definitely got the most important and entertaining regular season of all the major sports.  I LOVE baseball, my number one sport by a hair over the NFL.  But I'd much rather watch a Bengals vs. Panthers regular season game than a Royals vs. Mariners.  The fact that the season is a lot shorter makes each game more meaningful, plus the "fantasy" factor as well.  I think it also depends, at least for me, on how good the teams you cheer for are at certain times.  Growing up for me it was Red Sox first, then Celtics, then Patriots.  Mostly because I played baseball and basketball, not football growing up.  Mix in the fact that the Patriots were god awful in the early 90's.  Then the tide turned a little and the Patriots got better and the Celtics became god awful, so they switched spots for me.  And even though the C's are back among the elite, I now have season tickets for the Pats so they still rank #2 for me.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

the regular season is about to get 2 weeks longer

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

are they adding more games for this year?

faldor

faldor wrote:

Not for THIS year, but it looks like they will be going to an 18 game schedule, cutting out 2 pre-season games.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I haven't watched ANY of the NFL shows this offseason. Kind of a scary thought. It's the last sport I watch every season and if I drift away from it, that's pretty much it for me. Always hated baseball, stopped watching basketball right around when Pippen retired, don't pay much attention to women sports anymore as the next gen always comes in so quickly and I got sick of keeping up to date, and don't give two shits about hockey, soccer,etc.

I think it's pretty easy to get back into it though.  The season starts in September and it's pretty much on for like 9 hours on Sunday (including SNF).  College Football is even more insane as I'm pretty sure it lasts at least 12 hours + on Saturdays (counting the late west coast games as well).

In the NFL offseason it is real easy to skip all the stuff as it is pretty much the Draft and FA.  Preseason games aren't very good too; so probably just tune in for the regular season.

Faldor wrote:

It's definitely got the most important and entertaining regular season of all the major sports.  I LOVE baseball, my number one sport by a hair over the NFL.  But I'd much rather watch a Bengals vs. Panthers regular season game than a Royals vs. Mariners.  The fact that the season is a lot shorter makes each game more meaningful, plus the "fantasy" factor as well.  I think it also depends, at least for me, on how good the teams you cheer for are at certain times.  Growing up for me it was Red Sox first, then Celtics, then Patriots.  Mostly because I played baseball and basketball, not football growing up.  Mix in the fact that the Patriots were god awful in the early 90's.  Then the tide turned a little and the Patriots got better and the Celtics became god awful, so they switched spots for me.  And even though the C's are back among the elite, I now have season tickets for the Pats so they still rank #2 for me.

To me I like watching postseason baseball but the regular season is a bit meaningless.  Since you mention the NBA, as time passes I find myself just avoiding the current product.  It is just so freaking stale.  I am speaking only on on court play and not off court stuff (awful trades, shitty officiating).  90% off the plays are either pick and roll or isolation.  College Basketball while the scoring is less is far more enjoyable.  You get to see movement and all 5 players touch the ball.
I'd probably rank my list

NFL
NCAA F
NCAA Basketball
MLB
NBA

On to the extra games--don't think it's a good idea since it will invariably lead to more injuries.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Cincinnati, OH (Sports Network) - A report on the Cincinnati Bengals' website cites a league source as saying the team has agreed to terms on a one- year contract with wide receiver Terrell Owens.

ESPN reports the deal is for $2 million with another $2 million possible through incentives. Owens is expected to be in attendance on the first day of the team's training camp on Thursday when he will officially sign the contract.

Cincinnati wideout Chad Ochocinco seemed to confirm the news via Twitter, posting: "Terrell Owens is officially a Cincinnati Bengals, Cincy let's welcome him with open arms, it's on now!"

The Jets and Rams were also thought to be interested in the flamboyant Owens. The 36-year-old caught 55 passes for 829 yards and five touchdowns last year in his lone season with the Buffalo Bills.

Owens spent the previous three seasons in Dallas and the two before that with Philadelphia, all while often getting caught up in public locker room spats, but also producing as one of the league's top receivers.

The five-year run saw Owens notch 1,000-yard seasons and double-digit touchdown receptions in all but one of those years. The Eagles suspended or left Owens inactive for the final nine games of the 2005 season because of constant problems with the team's front office, coach Andy Reid and teammates.

A six-time Pro Bowl selection and third-round draft choice of the 49ers in 1996, Owens played in San Francisco for eight seasons before joining the Eagles for the 2004 campaign.

In 205 career games spanning 14 years in the league, Owens has established himself as one of the best receivers of all-time. He ranks third in NFL annals with 14,951 receiving yards and 144 touchdowns receptions, while ranking sixth in catches with 1,006.

------------------------------------------

should we make a poll? who will start whining first? TO or CJ? 16

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I think it'll be Antonio Bryant. They're going to have huge problems with that guy and I'm sure he's not too happy about this.

faldor

faldor wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

To me I like watching postseason baseball but the regular season is a bit meaningless.  Since you mention the NBA, as time passes I find myself just avoiding the current product.  It is just so freaking stale.  I am speaking only on on court play and not off court stuff (awful trades, shitty officiating).  90% off the plays are either pick and roll or isolation.  College Basketball while the scoring is less is far more enjoyable.  You get to see movement and all 5 players touch the ball.
I'd probably rank my list

NFL
NCAA F
NCAA Basketball
MLB
NBA

On to the extra games--don't think it's a good idea since it will invariably lead to more injuries.

Good point on the NBA.  I'm a Celtics fan so I got wrapped up in the playoffs.  That game 7 loss was a heartbreaker.  I still don't know if I'm over it.  But I barely watched any games during the regular season.  And even in the playoffs, most of the time all you need to watch is the 4th quarter.  I much prefer college basketball, although UConn (my team) was so extremely frustrating to watch last season they almost took the enjoyment out of it.  I still watch the Red Sox on a nightly basis pretty much.  My rankings would go.

MLB
NFL
NCAA B
NBA
NCAA F - there's just too many teams/players to follow.  Maybe when UConn gets a little better my interest will increase.

Board footer