You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: Damien Echols from the West Memphis Three Interview

Olorin wrote:

Big thanks to hodge4443 for posting this:

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?sho … try2669795

Really cool interview with Damien Echols from the West Memphis Three in the new issue of Revolver Magazine. I haven't been able to find a link to it yet, but I'm still looking.

Revolver: "What music have you been able to listen to? Do you still listen to metal and hard rock?"

Echols: "I'm not allowed to have CDs or an iPOD, so I'm stuck with whatever they play on mainstream radio now. Yeah, I still love metal, though. I think metal is the fountain of youth. It keeps you young. One of the local radio stations played the entire Chinese Democracy album by Guns N' Roses when it first came out, and I had tears on my face through the whole thing because of how magical it was. I heard Axl's voice, and it was like the past 17 years had never happened. For an hour or so I was 18 years old and free again."

Revolver: "You've collaborated with Pearl Jam and Michael Graves on music. Who would be your dream artist to work with?"

Echols: "Definitely Marilyn Manson. I love how he's constantly exploring new art forms and growing as an artist while refusing to let anyone define him. Rob Zombie is another one. He is an absolute genius. I'm also a huge fan of Nick Cave, both in literature and music, so to do anything with him would be pure magic. And Axl Rose, of course. There has never been a band that means as much to me as GN'R, no matter who else is in the lineup."

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

That's a great story. For that reason alone, it was worthy of being released. Hopefully Axl reads about that.  Funny how the documentaries and articles always painted him as a hardcore speed metal fan(and used Metallica's music in the documentaries), yet GNR are his favorite band.

He should be released yesterday. Those kids got the shaft in Mayberry.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I dont even know the back story, I just found his words and passion about GNR and CD very akin to my own. I gather he's locked up, but its still amazing to hear the opinion of someone not bogged down by the stigma. I've said it a hundred times, Axl Rose will always have an audience as long as there are downtrodden souls in the world, his lyrics are so inspiring and moving, he doesnt get the recognition he deserves. But I suppose the never ending conveyor belt of young fans who make up the majority of his live shows and find solace in his words are enough for him.
I'd buy that for a dollar wink

James

James wrote:
Olorin wrote:

I dont even know the back story

Wow. You're in for an eye opening story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Memphis_3

I HIGHLY recommend the documentary called Paradise Lost. One of the best documentaries I've ever watched. It might still be on youtube. If not, rent/download it ASAP.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Inspiring?  Really?  18

I've always thought they were pretty pessimistic and depressing for the most part (with exceptions certainly), but I'm admittedly not a lyrics guy.  Maybe I just don't get Axl, or maybe I've never been downtrodden enough.

James

James wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Inspiring?  Really?  18

I've always thought they were pretty pessimistic and depressing for the most part (with exceptions certainly), but I'm admittedly not a lyrics guy.  Maybe I just don't get Axl, or maybe I've never been downtrodden enough.

The kid went to prison at the height of GNR's fame. Never touched the internet or had contact with the outside world.

I could see how getting to hear Chinese Democracy in 2008 brought him to tears.

I do have a question for him.....

does he think Slash is still in the band? 16

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:

So lets cut the shot talk and get down to it. Did they do it or not??

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Inspiring?  Really?  18

The kid went to prison at the height of GNR's fame. Never touched the internet or had contact with the outside world.

I could see how getting to hear Chinese Democracy in 2008 brought him to tears.

I was really referring to the post Olorin made.  I don't see Axl's lyrics as being inspiring in any way.  I can relate to some of them, but inspiring isn't really his strong point.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:

So lets cut the shot talk and get down to it. Did they do it or not??

I don't think so, but if they did, I don't think they were alone.  I think there's a lot to this story that we don't know (I know, captain obvious).

Gong
 Rep: 60 

Gong wrote:

If you watch the film - Paradise Lost - you will believe they are innocent of murder - but guilty of having long hair and wearing black.

Board footer