You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Damien Echols from the West Memphis Three Interview

faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Olorin wrote:

I dont even know the back story

Wow. You're in for an eye opening story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Memphis_3

I HIGHLY recommend the documentary called Paradise Lost. One of the best documentaries I've ever watched. It might still be on youtube. If not, rent/download it ASAP.

Man, I'm with Olorin, had no clue about the West Memphis Three.  Just read that wikipidia link though.  Fascinating stuff.  I'm gonna have to try and catch the documentary.

I could see how "Chinese Democracy" made him cry after being locked up for so long.  I think I'd cry over a lot of things in that case.  On the bright side for him, he really didn't miss out on too much as far as GNR goes, unfortunately.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I went to the Henry Rollins/Black Flag show that raised money for their legal fees. Never knew he was a GNR fan.

Sky Dog wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:

So lets cut the shot talk and get down to it. Did they do it or not??

lyrically it is a very coherent album..I could see where someone  would be influenced..musically, it is all over the board.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

(in reference to Echols)

""... serious mental illness characterized by grandiose and persecutory delusions, auditory and visual hallucinations, disordered thought processes, substantial lack of insight, and chronic, incapacitating mood swings" - Dr. George W. Woods

Yep, starting to come into a bit clearer focus why this guy looks up to Axl.

I'm kidding 19

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

Crazy stuff, i never knew about this story. Or at the very least don't remember it.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Inspiring?  Really?  18

I've always thought they were pretty pessimistic and depressing for the most part (with exceptions certainly), but I'm admittedly not a lyrics guy.  Maybe I just don't get Axl, or maybe I've never been downtrodden enough.

Yeah, every day his music and words inspires me keep my head up and not give up when people and life itself is getting me down and the weight of the world is on my back and I just wanna throw myself off a bridge. Theres a strong sense of solidarity I have with GNR's music that no other band has ever came close to, and I often find comfort in Axl's words.
I'm suprised this comes as a shock to you, especially as your reading it on a Guns N'Roses fan forum roll

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

Man, I remember watching the documentary on HBO about 15 years ago. The thing that  made me stop channel surfing and check it out was the Metallica music in it. Then as I began watching it, I couldnt turn away. Its a GREAT documentary.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:
Olorin wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Inspiring?  Really?  18

I've always thought they were pretty pessimistic and depressing for the most part (with exceptions certainly), but I'm admittedly not a lyrics guy.  Maybe I just don't get Axl, or maybe I've never been downtrodden enough.

Yeah, every day his music and words inspires me keep my head up and not give up when people and life itself is getting me down and the weight of the world is on my back and I just wanna throw myself off a bridge. Theres a strong sense of solidarity I have with GNR's music that no other band has ever came close to, and I often find comfort in Axl's words.
I'm suprised this comes as a shock to you, especially as your reading it on a Guns N'Roses fan forum roll

Just ignore it man. I still scratch my head at some of his comments on a GN'R board. And I'm with you on Axl's lyrics. 5

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Olorin wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Inspiring?  Really?  18

Apparently you've been more downtrodden than I have then.  I've never been a GnR fan because of Axl.  I'd have loved the band regardless of the singer if the songs had been exactly the same as they were (which they wouldn't have been).  My admiration of Axl is in his song structures, not his lyrics.

Axl wrote some beautiful songs that I can relate to, but his lyrics overall are quite negative and depressing.  Even a fan should be able to see that.  Maybe it's just easier for me to see because I don't idolize the guy.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:
Olorin wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Inspiring?  Really?  18

Just ignore it man. I still scratch my head at some of his comments on a GN'R board. And I'm with you on Axl's lyrics. 5

I love the music dude.  Why is that so hard to understand?  Not everybody listens to songs for the lyrics or the singer.  Some people actually appreciate good music.

Board footer