You are not logged in. Please register or login.

christina_rose
 Rep: 15 

Re: BP's top kill effort fails to plug Gulf oil leak

I don't understand any of it. Fingers can be pointed all day long, that's not going to stop the oil. It's been six weeks already. From the little bit I've heard and read BP was supposed to be able to handle a disaster ten times this size. I don't even want to think about how much more awful this would be if it was that big from the start. EVERYTHING BP is doing, or trying, is failing. And every day that goes by more oil leaks into the ocean. BP should be forced out of business, and out of our hair. They should have to pay for their stupidity, and not be able to do business. The government can come in with flags waving and all sorts of good intentions, and it's not going to fix the fact that BP failed massively. The fact that SIX WEEKS LATER no one has any idea of what to do or how to fix it proves that BP has no fucking clue what to do here. I haven't been keeping real close tabs on this because it makes me angry. I read the articles about BP trying this and that and throwing their hands up in the air all "OMG what do we do now." Um, how about FIX IT? How do you build an oil rig and not have a plan on how to plug a leak if something bad happens? Then you run around like a chicken with your head cut off with no idea of what to do, because everything you have to fix it fails. Find someone to fix this shit, and kick BP to the curb.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Christina, I think one of the reasons they can't fix it is because they were drilling deeper than they were supposed to. That'll be uncovered in litigation. They screwed up big time.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

The scariest aspect of this is that meteorologists are predicting a busy hurricane season. That's probably going to cause even more of the oil that's in the Gulf to come ashore.

bigbri wrote:

Christina, I think one of the reasons they can't fix it is because they were drilling deeper than they were supposed to. That'll be uncovered in litigation. They screwed up big time.

Doubtful. They have plenty of other deeper wells than this one in the Gulf. The main problem here was that they cheaped out by using sea water instead of drilling mud while drilling. Leaked memos show that they knew it was the more dangerous option, but they chose to do it because of the potential to make more money. Guess that backfired.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

Wanna buy my BP shares?

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

The main problem here was that they cheaped out by using sea water instead of drilling mud while drilling.

Can you clarify what you mean by this?

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

The main problem here was that they cheaped out by using sea water instead of drilling mud while drilling.

Can you clarify what you mean by this?

Here's a bit on it:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37363106/ns/gulf_oil_spill/

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Tejas, I thought you worked in the oil business?

Or am I thinking of someone else?

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Tejas, I thought you worked in the oil business?

Or am I thinking of someone else?

That is correct, although I do not work in the oil fields so I have pretty limited knowledge on how this stuff works. I have a Petroleum Land Management degree. Most of the oil field stuff I learned in college was strictly for the sake of memorizing it long enough to make a good grade on the test. PLM majors don't actually work in the oil fields. I work a lot with my company's accounting department. My job deals with making sure our title is correct so that we get paid correctly on stuff we have an interest in but don't operate and to make sure we pay our royalty owners correctly on stuff we do operate. I deal quite a bit with angry royalty owners. They're pretty impatient. 16

This MMS corruption stuff has actually got me thinking about why the government only asks for 12.5% royalties when regular citizens are asking for 20-25% (or higher). If the MMS was corrupt enough to have investigators trading safety waivers for jobs with the likes of Shell, then who is to say there isn't a "wink wink, nudge nudge" type of thing going on with royalties? 12.5% is an extremely outdated royalty rate. It used to be standard decades ago but it has since evolved. It's getting to the point where 25% is the standard. So why is the government only asking for 12.5% when they own a ton of minerals across the country? Things that make you go, "Hmmmmm..."

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

There are some protesters there apparently, not sure who exactly.. News channels dont seem to think its too serious.  Apparently 'Fergie' the shamed duchess, some Gaza shit and some football nonsense all rank higher priority than a little spill somewhere beginning with G.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Unfortunately Code Pink is representing the biggest protest organizers.

Which sucks

Code Pink are a bunch of idiotic fools. 3/4 of their stuff comes across as shtick, and alot of the time they seem to almost be a parody of Vietnam War protestors. In other words - they're opportunists who just want to get their face on TV.

We don't need those kind of people down there. This is a serious matter.

Board footer