You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Dj Ashba and Dizzy Reed: "We're working on a new album"

James wrote:
war wrote:

axl
slash
buckethead
izzy
brain
tommy
Dizzy

If you have Slash, you don't really need Buckethead. If you have Buckethead, you don't really need Slash.

That's like M.I.A. knocking on my door saying she wants to fuck my brains out. Before we can get down to business, Natalie Portman knocks on the door wanting the same thing. No offense to Natalie, but she's gonna be waiting awhile with I fry M.I.A.'s fish.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
war wrote:

axl
slash
buckethead
izzy
brain
tommy
Dizzy

If you have Slash, you don't really need Buckethead. If you have Buckethead, you don't really need Slash.

That's like M.I.A. knocking on my door saying she wants to fuck my brains out. Before we can get down to business, Natalie Portman knocks on the door wanting the same thing. No offense to Natalie, but she's gonna be waiting awhile with I fry M.I.A.'s fish.

Not really.  Buckethead is the over the top shredder(I know he can play anything, but this is his role in Guns), and Slash just comes up with what's good for the song.  I think they could coexist in GN'R.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

003CMT_Natalie_Portman_019.jpg

James look what you did 4

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I look at it this way....no way Izzy is comming back to the band full time, meanwhile, we don't want to have to quit all chinese democracy songs in the event of a reunion, yet no one plays like slash so we also need him in fantasy land....

So the solution is:

Slash on leadguitar playing all his solos, and those of robin.

Bumblefoot playing all rhythm tracks from izzy/richard etc then shredding out the non-slash solos - ie the Bucket/Bumble solos on CD.

This would still give slash enough focus as overall lead guitarist so as to not waste him and give him the kudos he deserves as a founding memeber. Yet also allow for continuation of the crazy shred and fretless stuff that's present in the new songs from time to time.

Bumble is a nice enough dude to go for it, and could probably also play the izzy role of "mate to axl" quite well. Anyway I'll stop dreaming now.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I love Bucket, but i'm ready to walk away from the new era. I'm just done.

Call Slash & Izzy

If no Izzy, put Duff on rhythm, and keep Tommy on bass.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I just watched the entire Osaka 2009 show and its got me pretty excited about the new era. And I haven't been excited about this new era in... Ever.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I love Bucket, but i'm ready to walk away from the new era. I'm just done.

The sad thing is, the way history has gone now with all the different options it's really hard to please everyone.

For me it would be bittersweet.

No disrepect to the current members intended, I love what they do, but when I saw Slash live recently and he was playing classic GNR songs it was really apparent to me that's what he was born to do. I dunno if it's because he's the composer of those solos, or if it's just that he is who he is and there's something unusual about his playing, but no one plays them quite like him.

I think bumble has said it best in his interviews. He can only play like he plays. He can play the notes but it wont be van hallens hands, or slash's hands, or clapton's or whoever he covers. And I do think bumble is fantastic and clearly one of the best guitarists in the world. So i don't in any way mean it as a diss, but as wonderful as he is, it's never going to be quite the same as the original guy playing it. So seeing slash really did make me wish he was somehow still in GNR.

However all that said...if Slash could somehow come back (impossible as that is!)...I'd hate to see an end to the songs I've grown to love on Chinese Democracy. I know my opinion is different from many of you, but some of the CD songs are now as important to me, and right up there with some of the classic GNR tracks. Songs like madagascar and twat, they're so awesome to me, and such great music, that I'd be sorry if they were just confined to the history books.

Which means I can't really be pleased at this point. Like if slash was to come back it sacrifices one of my favourite albums of all time (Chinese) and some of my most loved songs. Yet if he never returns, I'll probably still love all the new material we get, and the old material will be kickass and fun live (like it is with bumble and ashba) but it will never quite have that perfect taste that it has with the originals. The texture is just different, it's great for what it is, but it's not what we grew up with.

Which is why I think the dream line up somehow needs Slash and Bumble, that way you can add in the occasional scrapped or shackler's or something without requiring slash to play outside his normal style, yet you can also have the real GNR magic on the AFD and UYI monsters. But i guess such a senario is excessively far fetched.

Axlin08 wrote:

If no Izzy, put Duff on rhythm, and keep Tommy on bass.

That's a little crazzy, if Duff is comming back at all, to me he should come back as what he's always done best, drive home a killer bass line.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

For me it would be bittersweet.

I agree with all you say man.

The debate is worthless though. Slash re-joining? Might as well discuss Elvis replacing Axl on lead vocals.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Here's my stance at the moment....

If you cant come up with either a new album or strum a guitar over a Bucket influenced album within two years, just kill the project because you just aren't good enough anymore to keep dragging the name through the mud.

Just tour the hits with a circus for all I care and stop fooling yourself and the fans that there's a viable creative unit sitting at the table.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

That's why I feel the new era has become a joke, but not for the reasons that casual Slash fan would say. I'm saying that as an Axlite within, a new band fan within, a CD fan within.

That 2001-02 band, whethere Paul or Richard on rhythm, was the last gasp of a band musically. Obviously their presentation killed them, but THEY ARE the Chinese Democracy band. The 2009-10 band is a cover band of the cover band. How do I take the 2009-10 band seriously, with all the "Axl's got his bandana back"... who cares... when the current band is covering the CD era.

Even the Chinese Democracy fan is not getting the band that recorded that album, short of the singer, bassist & keyboardists. But we all know the guitars are what's needed to get the songs their soul, and those guys are LONG GONE. In hind sight, those lucky fans who got to see Guns in Vegas at New Year's 2001 and Rio III, were the only ones who got to see the real CD band perform live. Those who saw them in 2002, primarily got it too.

In some ways, if we're banking the new era on CD, the band itself seized to exist in 2002. The CD era has been dead for eight years.

As much as I do think current GN'R are a very talented, electric group of guys, they're just a bunch of musicians going through the motions. CD can only be played for so many years, and to be honest to all of those lucky to see a 2009-10 show, I hope you liked it, because it's almost certaintly CD's last gasp.

I wouldn't be shocked at all, if GN'R were to hit the states, and completely play nothing but the hits, and abandon CD altogether. It could've been hinted at already with allusions to more UYI material in the states. We'll see.

But with THAT said...

Once you hit that point, if you're gonna just tour doing the hits, why not get the band back that made those hits? Axl would lose ALL credibility to do anything less. He would be proving they are cash grabs, proving he has no interest in recorded and/or releasing new material, proving he has no interest in making GN'R an active recording artist again. It would be waving the white flag to the "new Guns" with or without Slash involved.

It's just time imo. I say that with all the love in the world for Chinese Democracy. Unless Axl's gonna start unloading albums every couple of years and touring them, what's the point? If this is going to stay a nostagia act, it's time to get the band back together, in real Blues Brothers fashion.

Board footer