You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: SLASH Says New VELVET REVOLVER Material Is ‘A Lot Heavier’

-D- wrote:

record business is dead, so anything VR do will be to sell 60-70k first week and just be a kick ass touring rock band.

I wish they'd phone Izzy up see if he wants back in, take Myles, play the fuck out of GNR,VR and do some zep covers, then throw in a little new VR material for good measure.

I think Slash,Duff,Izzy,Matt or whoever drumming could give a fuck, and Myles would give GNR a run for their money live.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

You are right -D-, Slash plays PC and Nightrain on guitar better than Axl now sings them.  Axl is still great and all that but afer seeing slash rip the shit out of those, Axls nu kids on the block can only sit, watch and beg to swing on Slash`s nuts

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

hahaah, the stones were sloppy as hell and i love them for it.  If I wanted to see a band of high precision, I would go see dream theatre.

This is always comes up in arguments like this.

So, Dream Theater (see what I did there?) is bad because they play their instruments well?

Because certainly you don't mean they just replicate their songs note for note, because they don't. Of course, you knew that, right? You've heard them and seen them.

Sorry, Slash being sloppy for most of his career doesn't make him the Stones. It made him a drunk musician who wasn't giving 100 percent. He basically has admitted this in so many ways, so it should be no surprise.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
bigbri wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

hahaah, the stones were sloppy as hell and i love them for it.  If I wanted to see a band of high precision, I would go see dream theatre.

So, Dream Theater (see what I did there?) is bad because they play their instruments well?

Because certainly you don't mean they just replicate their songs note for note, because they don't. Of course, you knew that, right? You've heard them and seen them.

Sorry, Slash being sloppy for most of his career doesn't make him the Stones. It made him a drunk musician who wasn't giving 100 percent. He basically has admitted this in so many ways, so it should be no surprise.

Wait, I love and respect both styles.  But I don't listen to stones for great guitar playing or vocals or stuff like that.  I listen for the songs.  When I watch Michael Schenker on youtube, I watch him to be blown away at what he can do on the guitar, more than the songs. Stones are a "song" band (the Mick Taylor era however is one era that I love the guitar paying on and am blown away by it).  That is what I meant.  Slash isn't buckethead, and that is okay.  I love both.  GNR had great songs and iconic band members that did their thing, but ya, sometimes it was brilliant, sometimes sloppy. Slash plays brilliant a lot more than sloppy these days.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
mickronson wrote:

You are right -D-, Slash plays PC and Nightrain on guitar better than Axl now sings them.  Axl is still great and all that but afer seeing slash rip the shit out of those, Axls nu kids on the block can only sit, watch and beg to swing on Slash`s nuts

Not much to argue with on this post.  Slash has improved over time.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I don't really understand why according to fans Slash can only be good if DJ and Bumble suck, and why new GNR can only be a great night if Slash is washed up now. It's just possible that there's more than one bad ass guitarist in the world folks.

As for the suggestion that there's no other talent in the band. Well - Slash will always be the most famous person in the slash band, just as Axl will always be the most famous person in new-gnr. That's true. But that doesn't mean no one else has talent. Most people just downright can't play like bumblefoot, he's a talented freak. Meanwhile the other guys in slash's band were very impressive live too, especually miles - he's a talented singer and frontman.

I'm not sure why Axlin08 has such belief in no new VR album. To me it's the logical thing for slash to do at the conclusion of his solo album cycle. Like we're looking at another year of tour and promo. But then what, he could record a new solo album and do it all again (which I'd love) or he could return to VR because they have a bunch of shit ready to go....

It basicly all comes down to if they can agree on the singer. If it's not myles we could wait a lifetime. Because great singers are rare. There is no other Axl. There's guys like scott around, but finding one that's not a copy yet can do their old stuff too is tough and they arn't getting any younger.

I wasn't sold on Myles from youtube. I could see that he could hold the notes but I wasn't sure. Then he's made two great songs on Slash's record. Then I saw him live and my opinion drasticly changed. The guy kicked ass at that MTV thing. In person he was just great, he really owned on the VR songs too like Dirty Little Thing....at the conclusion of this tour...they damn well need to put him in the band...and get the ball rolling...Slash and Myles was good, the added firepower of Duff and Matt would really be cooking with gas.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
bigbri wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Exactly.

Apparently there's no way out of this argument with Smoking Guns. Because on one hand 2009-10 GN'R is "not tight like the old band", yet when their technical ability is referenced, and stage presence, then it's "well that doesn't really matter, because GN'R isn't like that"

Then I guess there's nothing I can say SG.

I personally disagree. I think the club-era, AFD-era Guns was sloppy, because they were all a bunch of degenerate, don't give a fuck about the audience, punks. Axl thought he was God's gift to the world, Slash was a junkie, Izzy was a junkie, Duff was a drunk, and Steven was a junkie.

Yet I always appreciated the "do give a fuck", stadium-style, Stones-style GN'R of the UYI era. Where shows were abandoned due to sloppy playing. Effort was put into the stage presentation. Slash was told to start songs over again and play it better. That's GN'R to me. And that's why GN'R today, lives up to that production philosophy, imho.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I'm not sure why Axlin08 has such belief in no new VR album. To me it's the logical thing for slash to do at the conclusion of his solo album cycle. Like we're looking at another year of tour and promo. But then what, he could record a new solo album and do it all again (which I'd love) or he could return to VR because they have a bunch of shit ready to go....

Because I think Slash will get more mileage out of his solo career at this point. Matt's a session drummer. Scott is gone. Duff is gone imo (why would he leave Jane's Addiction for Velvet fucking Revolver? Guns N' Roses yes, VR no). Dave's blink and you'll miss him, and that brand name is a dead duck.

Time to move on. VR is dead. I just think any "third" VR album would be in spirit only, and most likely it would be a revamped band, and ultimately a name change, and not be VR. Slash himself said those albums were too mainstream.

The only way I see this happening, is if Slash sits on those unreleased songs, works up some new ones, brings Izzy in or some shit, really works the hell out of those tracks, makes them as ballsy, rock n' roll as he can, and releases a self-titled Velvet Revolver album in an effort to start fresh, hit the reset button on the band.

And that's just Slash. There's then the issue of finding a distributor who gives a shit.

There's alot of things that have to come into place for this to album, and it seems a bit too much for a forgotton, modest-success band. That's why I think it's more likely, on paper, that you'll get that fifth GN'R album, before a third VR album.

Still, it's just an opinion.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Slash band is tight, but with energy.  Guns N Roses is tight I guess (sans Ashba) but often comes off a little sterile to me.  Dub Axl's voice over Night Train and PC and you tell me which backing band is rocking the fuck out more.  I just watched 06 Rock AM Ring PC, to me its not close.  Axl sounded awesome, but the guitars, they just don't have that "feel".

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I will agree with that 100%. NO ONE plays those AFD trx like the old band.

Board footer