You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: SLASH Says New VELVET REVOLVER Material Is ‘A Lot Heavier’

Legendary guitarist Slash tells MTV News that despite the fact that VELVET REVOLVER has been mostly quiet for the last two years, the band fully intends to push forward.

'As soon as we got off the road from the last tour and parted ways with [singer] Scott [Weiland], we got together and wrote half a dozen really great, sort of heavy metal pieces of music,  Slash tells MTV News. 'It'™s a lot heavier than what VELVET REVOLVER has put out, so I'™m dying to put out the quintessential VELVET REVOLVER record.

Slash said the new material better matches the group'™s original intentions. 'When Duff [McKagan, bass] and Matt [Sorum, drums] and I first got together, we wrote a ton of material that never saw the light of day, and that was all very heavy,  Slash explained.

'It'™s definitely our natural way of doing things. But when we started working with Scott, we started to lighten things up a lot, and we progressively got lighter. As much as I love the two records we did do, one of the things that was progressively more and more frustrating was the direction the band took.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/164048 … lver.jhtml

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I actually agree with what he said. I remember people talking about the Guns N' Roses connections with Contraband, I didn't hear it at all. It sounded like a bluesy Scott Weiland record. Very alternative, very mainstream. Not GN'R.

Maybe that vault material has more balls, but I doubt it.

I still say you see a new GN'R album before a third VR album.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

hahaha new gnr album before a new vr slash released 4 albums before axl even released one vr will have 2 out before axl gets of his arse slashs cd is shit loads better then the new gnr crap most people will agree

gibbo wrote:

slashs cd is shit loads better then the new gnr crap most people will agree

Well I like the Slash album I think it's awesome, but I don't agree that Chinese Democracy was "crap" sure I have complaints about it but I don't consider it "crap" at all 21

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
gibbo wrote:

hahaha new gnr album before a new vr slash released 4 albums before axl even released one vr will have 2 out before axl gets of his arse slashs cd is shit loads better then the new gnr crap most people will agree

Punctuation- Learn it.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Slash haven't made anything I truly liked since 1991. The solo album was interesting, but nothing special. VR had a couple of good songs on the first album and nothing on the second. Miles away from Chinese Democracy.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I remember Slash mentioned the follow up to Contraband would be much heavier too, but Scott obviously had say in making the much more mellow Libertad.

Contraband is a pretty in-yer-face guitar and drums album, if you skip the few lighter moments. Heavy doesn't necessarily mean GN'R sounding.

I hope we do get a heavy rock album from VR, because that's where Slash really shines, on heavy riffy rock. Nothing To Say off his solo album is exactly the type of stuff that I'm hoping for more of.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
gibbo wrote:

Wow, somebody woke a sleeping giant.

Axlin actually brings up an interesting point.  Who will release an album first/next?  VR or GNR?  Who's the odds on favorite?

As crazy as it sounds, I'd have to say GNR too.  I just think VR is way more a distant memory than Slash or Matt would like to admit or lead you to believe.  Just my feeling of course.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

dont VR have a ton of songs already done or something?  just a matter of getting a singers vocals down and mixed and out..and we all know axl likes to fuck around for a few lightyears before releasing anything... I think people have forgotten too quicky the last decade..

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
mickronson wrote:

dont VR have a ton of songs already done or something?  just a matter of getting a singers vocals down and mixed and out..and we all know axl likes to fuck around for a few lightyears before releasing anything... I think people have forgotten too quicky the last decade..

Yeah but VR has been searching for a singer for quite awhile now.  I don't see VR putting out an album unless they're ready to get back together and tour and to do that they'd need a singer AND Duff.  Right now they have no singer and Duff is in Janes Addiction for the foreseeable future.

I realize it might take GNR a LONG time to release another CD, if they even do.  I just think it'll take VR even longer.  I'd probably take the over on both.

Board footer