You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: what does Axl/GNR have to, to regain your interest 100%

metallex78 wrote:

GN'R in it's current lineup are playing a stadium gig here in Australia in December, I couldn't imagine how much bigger it would be if it was the original lineup coming.
They also sold out most of their shows on the 2007 tour here.

The name GN'R is bigger than people seem to give credit for. Have the original guys in there and it would be massive.

As for your point buzzsaw, I kinda agree, but I really like the new band too.
I just don't get Axl half-assing it with the new band.
If he really wanted them to succeed and be remembered as "the" GN'R lineup, why doesn't he go full steam ahead with it?

I think that's the reason most people want a reunion, over a half-assed "new GN'R"
If they're not moving forward, might as well just get the original guys back.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Faldor's right....the pipe dream reunion scenario ship sailed. Had they reunited in that 99-04 period instead of the CD merry go round, it might have been huge.    Now.....no one gives a shit. The various members have done so many side projects and Axl dragged the name through the mud. There's nothing for people to miss and anticipate. If you wanted to hear Slash and Duff, you had tons of opportunities. If you wanted to read about Axl being unable to release one album and tour AFD every few years, your wish was granted.

A reunion tour would look close to a CD tour..... sellouts in NY and LA with half empty arenas everywhere else. While they were massive for six years, 99.9% of fans moved on very quickly. In 1994 the general public laughed at the mere mention of them. By 1996 when Axl told MTV a new album was on the horizon, nobody cared.

In 2010 and beyond, hardcores go to the shows and the others in attendance just want to hear Jungle and don't give a shit who the guitarist is.

He's better off keeping the reunion card in his pocket and also reaping most of the profits. A reunion happens, he's got to split the dough five ways. When it doesn't shatter tour records like nutswingers still seem to believe, he's in trouble because he'd get less money than he does now, and with the reunion card played he has nothing left.

On previous tours there were Slash chants everywhere(you can hear them on bootlegs). Don't hear it no more. The new band doesn't have a bunch of new supporters. It's because the people in attendance simply don't give two shits either way.

Might as well keep playing the faux mystery act to us nerds and let the casual fans who will bother showing up pay a hundred bucks to hear Jungle.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

If GNR reunited, it would be as big as Led Zeppelin reuniting for that one show, it would probably the biggest tour ever.  I am not delusional, but people would come out of the woodwork to see that show.  THE REAL GUNS carry a lot of weight.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I have noticed that the people downplaying what a reunion would do aren't at all interested in it and the ones that think it will be huge aren't really interested in what's going on now.  Not saying either is right or wrong, but the lines seem to be pretty solidly drawn in those camps.

Personally I'd be extremely interested in a reunion, seeing as how I never got to see the AFD or UYI lineup in person. 

BUT, I realize it ain't gonna happen, so I'd also be extremely interested in seeing Axl and whoever he has playing alongside him as GNR on any given night.

My main reason for "downplaying" a reunion is Axl Rose.  I think he's pissed off far too many people over the years that they just wouldn't care if he made up with Slash and decided to give it another go.  At least that's the vibe I get from casual rock fans, critics, etc.  Obviously the tour would do well, and I think extremely well.  But I don't think it'd be Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd big.  Not even close.  If you want to compare it to Van Halen, maybe.  Although the second leg of that VH "reunion" didn't exactly do earth shattering numbers.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

When I hear people tell me they have no desire to go see  Axl's fake Guns N' Roses but they'd go in a second if Slash was back in the band it makes me think a reunion would still be huge. Make no mistake if they did reunite the promotional campaign would be through the roof and they'd shove the whole Axl n' Slash back together for the first time in 20 years thing down our throats. It would be a huge tour. Maybe not as huge as the nutswingers think but it would sure blow the fucking doors off what this version of Guns N' Roses draws.

the question I'd like to ask everyone on this borad is; would a full blown reunion not excite you more than anything this new band could do. I hear it all the time people saying they have no interest in a reunion but c'mon. If the old guys got back together and recorded an album and did a tour how on earth can anyone sit here with a straight face and say they'd prefer a new album with BBF and DJ on guitars. I don't think so. Picture this scenario: You're watching a music awards show and Gn'R as we know it now makes a surprise performance. Exciting? Sure. Now imagine you're watching the same show and Gn'R makes a  surprise performance with Slash and Duff in the band. Can anyone honestly sit there and say that would not excite you a  million times more? I think the person who says no is a lier 14:P

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:

Many good points here...

I think I'm about 85% on board at the moment. I think it took 24 hours for me to notice the last announced gig in the US. A few years a go it would have taken less than 30 min!  smile

For me to get 2006-excited again, I guess it would take a new album and the band continueing to tour. Throw in a live DVD/BluRay and I'm a REALLY happy camper!

I rule out there ever being a full blown marketing campaign WITH Axl at the helm! It's not really that imortant to me anymore that GNR be back on everyones lips and minds and being "accepted" as GNR.

I love CD. I love the evolution and complexity of the music and lyrics. Not to mention the outstanding quality of the sound (playing CD through a PC robs it of much of its quality!)
And if they release another great album I will be just as excited as when CD was released. Regardless of how many people in the world are "on board and lovin' it".

Sure we all love the old lineup in our own ways. I recently got a picture re-framed. It's a picture taken from a helicopter of the venue in Norway where GNR playd in '93. Brings back good memories.
But as far as wanting a reunion, that raw uncomprimising attitude of five guys in their early 20's will be long gone. It excists only in our memories and the live bootlegs you pull out when you come home drunk one night and want to re-capture that feeling you once had... That was me from 1993 to 2000. Some of you guys are still there. And that's cool!

And knowing what we do now about the breakup and the feelings amongst some of the guys. It just wouldn't feel genuin...
So thanx but no thanx!

So if I got to choose:
Release more music from the vault, live DVD or hit the studio with the current band! Oh, and that remix-album would be helluva lot of fun to hear!

And if they don't, they won't. AFD, UYI and CD will still be just as great!

Sky Dog wrote:

A reunion would be big...bigger than Van Halen and the Crue in the US for sure. Sold Out large arenas in the US. Worldwide, it would be massive stadium shows.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
madagas wrote:

A reunion would be big...bigger than Van Halen and the Crue in the US for sure. Sold Out large arenas in the US. Worldwide, it would be massive stadium shows.

So it doesn't matter if the guys in the band are really on board for a reunion?

Just as long as enough fans are lovin' it and it sells out huge venues?

huntermc
 Rep: 12 

huntermc wrote:

If Azoff couldn't make a reunion happen, then it's simply not going to happen. This is the guy who reunited the Eagles for the aptly named "When Hell Freezes Over" tour, and he also happens to run Ticketmaster and Live Nation. The fact that he and Axl are suing each other pretty much means that GNR isn't going to be touring the US in any form for a loooong time. Or if they do, they're going to have to go the Pearl Jam route (when they boycotted Ticketmaster in the mid 90's) and play alternative venues.  Still, if the heavens (and egos) aligned and it did somehow happen it would be fucking huge.

But we all know that's not going to happen so what can the current lineup do? As many others have said, a new album (CD part 2) with proper promotion would be a good start!

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Bono wrote:

the question I'd like to ask everyone on this borad is; would a full blown reunion not excite you more than anything this new band could do. I hear it all the time people saying they have no interest in a reunion but c'mon. If the old guys got back together and recorded an album and did a tour how on earth can anyone sit here with a straight face and say they'd prefer a new album with BBF and DJ on guitars. I don't think so. Picture this scenario: You're watching a music awards show and Gn'R as we know it now makes a surprise performance. Exciting? Sure. Now imagine you're watching the same show and Gn'R makes a  surprise performance with Slash and Duff in the band. Can anyone honestly sit there and say that would not excite you a  million times more? I think the person who says no is a lier 14:P

IF you could guarantee me the guys would reunite, get along AND release new music, then YES.  I'd be extremely excited.  However, I just don't see that as a plausible situation at this point.  Even though the chances aren't all that great with the current lineup, I think we're far more likely to see THEM continue on and release more music.  So I'll take what I can get.  I still think GNR is a kick ass band, regardless of who's not in it.

Board footer