You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: what does Axl/GNR have to, to regain your interest 100%

Smoking Guns wrote:

Gilmore's playing helped take Floyd to the next level. Great guitar player.

Sky Dog wrote:

We all know that, but he did NOT call the shots.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Despite not being an original member of Floyd, Gilmour found a way, shockingly, to basically become THE voice of the band. I don't even think of Roger Waters in terms of vocals, when I think of Pink Floyd. It's always Gilmour.

I do think Waters is just as much apart of the band as Gilmour, i'm not even gonna dare to go there, Gilmour is one of those rare cases where a replacement player comes in and redefines the band's legacy.

Probably a more proper example would be Sammy Hagar walking in and taking over Van Halen.

Russ put it perfectly. I don't think Gilmour can even be compared to Hagar in the fact that Gimour's Floyd didn't even make a blip on the radar compared to Roger's. VH rivaled DLR's VH, even though I think hagar was a Watered down, semi lame version in comparison. I think Gilmour's contributions had a lot to do with Roger Waters leading and pushing him.

The Final Cut and Division Bell were nowhere near the level of Roger Waters Floyd. The songs, or at least the lyrics, were actually pretty mediocre. Even Wright agreed with Waters, who of course said the album sucked 16

I love his guitar playing, but Gilmour had to go outside the band to get songwriters, including using his wife, on both albums. They never did that in Pink Floyd before.

I think Waters was really arrogant, and he admits it, and they totally had a right to carry on Pink Floyd without him. Roger quit the band and expected them to accept his decision that Floyd was dead. They didn't. And I'm glad they didn't because they put on some kick ass shows.

I would love to see Rogers and Gilmour back together for an album.

And I love Marooned off Division Bell. It's one of my favorite Pink Floyd songs. I used to put that bitch on a loop, lie back and smoke a joint.

Sky Dog wrote:

http://www.deadlinehollyweird.com/archi … 0.html#axl

speaking of Axl again...read this little ditty...too funny.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

hilarious
seems fake though

severely embelished at a minimum

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I don't know the history, but Gilmore was a badass guitar player and great singer..

That pretty much says it. Gilby didn't bring anything to the table in GN'R to warrant such a move, so comparing him to Gilmour is a bit questionable.

Despite not being an original member of Floyd, Gilmour found a way, shockingly, to basically become THE voice of the band. I don't even think of Roger Waters in terms of vocals, when I think of Pink Floyd. It's always Gilmour.

I do think Waters is just as much apart of the band as Gilmour, i'm not even gonna dare to go there, Gilmour is one of those rare cases where a replacement player comes in and redefines the band's legacy.

Probably a more proper example would be Sammy Hagar walking in and taking over Van Halen.

Here's what happened with Gilmour; when Syd was bounced out, everything fell on Roger's shoulders. Roger had to choose between either learning to sing well or learning to write well. He chose to apply himself to learning to write well since Dave had a decent voice.

Make no mistake, Dave never had any "power" from A Saucerful of Secrets straight through to The Final Cut. The stumbling block albums where Roger was learning to write (More, Obscured, etc) paid off on Meddle and then went into overdrive with Dark Side through The Wall.

No one had any power in Pink Floyd outside of Roger Waters. They played what he told them to play, they sang what he told them to sing, etc. To give you an example, Roger came in with both The Wall and The Pro's & Con's of Hitchhiking and the rest of the Floyd were told to choose which one would be their next album. They didn't like either, but they didn't have a choice so they all worked on The Wall. The only difference really between Roger's demo and the finished product besides production is one lyric change to One Of My Turns that Dave added and ofcourse the song Comfortably Numb.

The reason Dave is viewed as having any power is because he became the face of Pink Floyd when he, Nick & Rick brought it back in 87. To this day, I firmly believe that the only reason he did that was because both of his solo records flopped and he needed to rely on the Floyd name. And the proof is in where we stand today; Dave has finally had some commercial success under his own name and now doesn't give a shit to continue with "Pink Floyd"

I don't think he doesn't give a shit, I think he doesn't want to take orders from Waters. That's the reason they can get along for one-off shows, but nothing perminate. Kind of like Axl & Izzy with Guns.

DCK wrote:

People actually a fave version of Patience?

I never got the Patience fascination. I think it's an okay song in the studio, and boring as hell live. Only version I ever really liked was that Patience/Imagine medley from Buenos Aires 1993.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
misterID wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Russ put it perfectly. I don't think Gilmour can even be compared to Hagar in the fact that Gimour's Floyd didn't even make a blip on the radar compared to Roger's. VH rivaled DLR's VH, even though I think hagar was a Watered down, semi lame version in comparison. I think Gilmour's contributions had a lot to do with Roger Waters leading and pushing him.

The Final Cut and Division Bell were nowhere near the level of Roger Waters Floyd. The songs, or at least the lyrics, were actually pretty mediocre. Even Wright agreed with Waters, who of course said the album sucked 16

I love his guitar playing, but Gilmour had to go outside the band to get songwriters, including using his wife, on both albums. They never did that in Pink Floyd before.

I think Waters was really arrogant, and he admits it, and they totally had a right to carry on Pink Floyd without him. Roger quit the band and expected them to accept his decision that Floyd was dead. They didn't. And I'm glad they didn't because they put on some kick ass shows.

I would love to see Rogers and Gilmour back together for an album.

And I love Marooned off Division Bell. It's one of my favorite Pink Floyd songs. I used to put that bitch on a loop, lie back and smoke a joint.

Umm... incorrect. Actually Gilmour & Hagar are perfect examples. Final Cut was the last album to feature Waters, and it received mixed reviews, and modest album sales. A Momentary Lapse of Reason, the first album with Gilmour at the helm, crushed Final Cut's success in both album sales and tour numbers.

They were more successful post-Waters, at least initially, going on the last three albums of the band, Cut (where Waters as going), and Reason & Division Bell (where Gilmour was going).

But both Roger & Dave have admitted that the last three Floyd albums were "solo" works.

P.S.

I do understand the key difference between Final Cut & Momentary Lapse of Reason is that for VH, both 1984 & 5150 were MONSTER fuckin' albums.

madagas wrote:

http://www.deadlinehollyweird.com/archi … 0.html#axl

speaking of Axl again...read this little ditty...too funny.

Sky Dog wrote:
war wrote:

hilarious
seems fake though

severely embelished at a minimum

it's clearly made up...my favorite line

"He came out in this furry robe," recalled gardner Carlos Gutierrez. "He was like 'are you the motherfuckers with the lawn blowers?' I said 'what's it to you, fatass?'" At that point he threw some half-assed karate kick and ran away saying something like, "Thanks to you the whole fucking tour is off."

lol

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Or that Doc McGhee had to reassure Axl that New Mexico is a state, not a country.

Sky Dog wrote:

"He took a few Xanax and a nap and he was back to his old nutty self. The tour is still on."

Board footer