You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: what does Axl/GNR have to, to regain your interest 100%

Sky Dog wrote:

Izzy wrote some songs....a reunion should only involve the AFD lineup. Period. No self respecting Van Halen fan took their "reunion" tour seriously since Michael Anthony wasn't there. Any other combo lineups, even involving Slash, are just the newest of the new Gnr. tongue

The press and the public can go f*!k themselves for all I care.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
Rockrecord wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I think almost everybody wants a reunion, but there have been so many versions of this band at this point, could we even come to a majority agreement on which lineup?  If we put up a poll for every lineup of the band and you could only vote for one, would any lineup get 50%?  AFD, UYI I (Izzy and Matt), UYI II (Gilby and Matt), and how many different CD versions.  And there's always the one or two crazy people voting for poor Ole.

Im not so sure about that.  The appetite line up is all that matters

Nah, like I've said before, the only two people who matter, as far as selling tickets and connecting with the general public and the media are concerned, are Axl and Slash; they're the iconic members of the band. People believe the original line-up of GN'R broke up in 1996, because that's when Slash left, even though Duff was still in the band and even though Izzy, Gilby and Matt had left long before.

Ironic, really, that they're the only two people in the band who hate each other's guts. Axl gets on perfectly well with Duff, Steven, Matt and Izzy. But he could team up with all of them and the idiot public would still go, "Eh, it isn't GN'R without Slash." Even though Izzy wrote the fucking songs, his departure wasn't viewed as being as important as Slash's.

Conversely, Axl could go on tour with his current band and sub in Slash for any one of the guitarists, and the idiot public and press would be going, "Wahey, Guns N' Roses reunion!"

In conclusion, people are idiots.

hilarious

johndivney wrote:

i really don't want a reunion. i'd prefer slash/axl/izzy/duff everyone to stop making music forever or die immediately before i'd want to see them on stage pretending to be GnR again.

GnR is dead but we still get cool music from the guys used to be GnR & that's all i hope for. if they reunited it really would be the most embarrassing thing in GnR history.

unless they reunited and made an album as good as even UYI1, never mind 2 or Appetite. i'd forgive everyone anything ever if they had dropped another epic awesome LP.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
johndivney wrote:

i really don't want a reunion. i'd prefer slash/axl/izzy/duff everyone to stop making music forever or die immediately before i'd want to see them on stage pretending to be GnR again.

GnR is dead but we still get cool music from the guys used to be GnR & that's all i hope for. if they reunited it really would be the most embarrassing thing in GnR history.

unless they reunited and made an album as good as even UYI1, never mind 2 or Appetite. i'd forgive everyone anything ever if they had dropped another epic awesome LP.

same could be said about Soundgarden, Cornell released a fucking hip hop album for christ sake! And look at them now? more Important today than ever before in my opinion.

Sky Dog wrote:

Important to who? I like Soundgarden a lot and am actually listening to them right now. But, I think some on this board are getting a little carried away.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
russtcb wrote:
madagas wrote:

Important to who? I like Soundgarden a lot and am actually listening to them right now. But, I think some on this board are getting a little carried away.

Agreed. Reviews of their warm up shows and Lollapalooza suggest that even the band noticed that people weren't as into them as they expected.

Most people have moved past GNR and Soundgarden. That whole period really. What band from that time period is still big? U2 and Bon Jovi are about it.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

It's a whole lot different when your initial fanbase was young and now they're all adults.

U2 and BJ moved into adulthood with their fans. SG and GNR didn't. they disappeared and came back over a decade later. I think that has a big effect.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
russtcb wrote:
madagas wrote:

Agreed. Reviews of their warm up shows and Lollapalooza suggest that even the band noticed that people weren't as into them as they expected.

Define important. While they have not toured, the club dates sold out in a nanosecond and they just headlined Lollapalooza. The hipster with Black Hole Sun on his Ipod(he/she also has Jungle on there) should not be allowed to make or break this thing so soon.

I don't think they're the most relevant band on the planet either. I think they're doing a disservice to it by being so low key about it,  but to insinuate no one gives a shit is a bit drastic.

Axl had difficulty selling out The Joint which I guarantee Soundgarden would sell out in five minutes(or less) if tickets went on sale today. Axl showed up at the VMA's four years ago and it was so quiet you could hear a pelican fart all the way in Indonesia. Cornell could walk up on that stage and get a much better reaction.

Most people have moved past GNR and Soundgarden. That whole period really. What band from that time period is still big? U2 and Bon Jovi are about it.

I agree. It's a nostalgia trip at this point. People mainly just care for the few hits.  Axl and a rotating cast let you take a trip back to the 80s for a couple hours and relive the moment. Soundgarden will let people relive the grunge era. New album or no new album(from either band), it still revolves around the old discography.

Soundgarden has more potential as far as new music though.

As far as them being "more important than ever", they'll never be bigger than they were in 1994. They could release a new album that is their best yet and they still wouldn't reach those previous heights.

The musical landscape is just too different now.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

As far as them being "more important than ever", they'll never be bigger than they were in 1994. They could release a new album that is their best yet and they still wouldn't reach those previous heights.

The musical landscape is just too different now.

I hear ya, it just seems that Soundgarden have one thing that no other "big band" in the world today has. As a band they have a 100% Integrity rating.

They never "sold out" like say Aerosmith or U2 or had a drastic lineup change since their heyday like GNR and now that they are back they are coming out on stage in front of the Badmotorfinger logo and playing songs like Get on the Snake and Gun, even with their comeback they haven't sold out to thh media and mainstream hype machine.

That's really unique and I think that could carry them all the way to a huge resurgence.

Board footer