You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: what does Axl/GNR have to, to regain your interest 100%

bigbri wrote:

Weird. When did U2 sell out?

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Joshua Tree

I'm kidding, I don't get it either.

misterID wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Umm... incorrect. Actually Gilmour & Hagar are perfect examples. Final Cut was the last album to feature Waters, and it received mixed reviews, and modest album sales. A Momentary Lapse of Reason, the first album with Gilmour at the helm, crushed Final Cut's success in both album sales and tour numbers.

They were more successful post-Waters, at least initially, going on the last three albums of the band, Cut (where Waters as going), and Reason & Division Bell (where Gilmour was going).

But both Roger & Dave have admitted that the last three Floyd albums were "solo" works.

No, nothing Gilmour did post Waters in PF ever came close to the music Waters made. If you have to use how many albums sold to measure which is better, then more power to you. MLOR and DB are nowhere near the masterpieces WYWH, DSOTM and The Wall were. Not. Even. Close.

To clarify, I was going to add in my previous post, "despite the chart success for MLOR and DB they were disappointments." I didn't think I had to, but I forgot how important chart success is to an album being good. roll

And I meant MLOR instead of The Final Cut before... But since its the album Roger left after and they didn't tour the album, I think its kind of disengenuous to say how the post Waters Floyd blew TFC out of the water touring and chart wise, when the album was a success and there was no tour for it.

Excuse me for liking Learning To Fly...

Oh, and I NEVER said MLOR or Division Bell rivaled WYWH, Dark side or Wall. Never ever ever ever, would I say something that dumb.

Final Cut, MLOR & Division Bell I put all on the same platform. They all have their pros and cons, and they all even out.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Final Cut, MLOR & Division Bell I put all on the same platform. They all have their pros and cons, and they all even out.

Someone said earlier the final cut was made at the same time as the wall?
In fact it was comprised of all of the songs considered not good enough for the wall. This is what led to the strife between Gilmour and Waters over the album.

Regardless it contains 2 of floyds greatest songs "the Fletcher Memorial Home" and "When the Tigers Roamed Free"

You all heard about Gilmour and Waters kissing and making up recently ya?

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/38207130/ … rtainment/

If they can do it, GNR can do it simple as that.

bigbri wrote:

When they featured the members of Boyzone in the video for "the Sweetest thing" and left their Alt rock roots to become a Stadium rock band.

Back on topic.

I think to regain my trust 100% gnr need to reform and lets be honest its on the horizon, and heres why :STEVEN ADLER: 'I Have Relapsed Four Or Five Times In Two Years'

Sooner or later this idiot is going to kill himself. ANd much like the death of rick wright helping mend rogers and gilours troubles, Axl being a hyper sensitive spiritualist type will freak a bean, slash being an armchair philosopher himself duff the same and izzy too, will all get on the gravy train with matt to peddle their reuinion album.

Source:
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe … mID=144330

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
bigbri wrote:
russtcb wrote:
madagas wrote:

Important to who? I like Soundgarden a lot and am actually listening to them right now. But, I think some on this board are getting a little carried away.

Agreed. Reviews of their warm up shows and Lollapalooza suggest that even the band noticed that people weren't as into them as they expected.

Most people have moved past GNR and Soundgarden. That whole period really. What band from that time period is still big? U2 and Bon Jovi are about it.

uhm, Pearl Jam, Metallica, R.E.M, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, NIN, Alice In Chains, STP. Dream Theater, Iron Maiden to some extent.  All active in the same time frame as either u2 and/or soundgarden

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Someone said earlier the final cut was made at the same time as the wall?
In fact it was comprised of all of the songs considered not good enough for the wall. This is what led to the strife between Gilmour and Waters over the album.

Regardless it contains 2 of floyds greatest songs "the Fletcher Memorial Home" and "When the Tigers Roamed Free"

You all heard about Gilmour and Waters kissing and making up recently ya?

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/38207130/ … rtainment/

If they can do it, GNR can do it simple as that.

bigbri wrote:

When they featured the members of Boyzone in the video for "the Sweetest thing" and left their Alt rock roots to become a Stadium rock band.

Back on topic.

I think to regain my trust 100% gnr need to reform and lets be honest its on the horizon, and heres why :STEVEN ADLER: 'I Have Relapsed Four Or Five Times In Two Years'

Sooner or later this idiot is going to kill himself. ANd much like the death of rick wright helping mend rogers and gilours troubles, Axl being a hyper sensitive spiritualist type will freak a bean, slash being an armchair philosopher himself duff the same and izzy too, will all get on the gravy train with matt to peddle their reuinion album.

Source:
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe … mID=144330

I have never heard that theory ever, but it is interesting. Would a death, any death, convince these guys to do it again?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

If ever there is a GNR reunion, I really hope Steven can be a part of it. He deserves that much.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I hope he lives long enough to see it.  Actually, I hope I live long enough to see it.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

In fact the more I think about it, although I actually quite like matt (unlike everyone else on this board I think!) - and so for example I'm cool with matt as the VR drummer and so on - if the AFD guys got together without steven at this point that would be so damn harsh.

Like imagine, Duff, Izzy, Axl, Slash - reunited for the first time in countless eons - and steven has to watch this at home on TV. Fuck that.

The guy might have some problems, and he hasn't been a saint, and pragmaticly from a business sence he might even be trouble if he cant be guarenteed to stay clean, but from a fundemental point of view, if we're going to re-live 1987...popcorn has to be there....he's slash's childhood friend or whatever, and he's part of what made that what it was at that time.

To be honest I'm not sure we will ever see a reunion though. If you look at the players:

Duff: Reasonable and Pragmatic Enough to allow it to happen, but also sucessful enough that he doesn't need it on any terms. Smart enough to know when he's being screwed over.

Steven: Always keen for it, but with a history of lifestyle choices that would endanger the smooth operation of it. He needs to be in a place where he is an asset to the band (which musially he always has been) and not a liability (which his addictions can be). Also - he'd have to forgive the others for kicking him last time (i'd strugle with this if i were him) and i gather he and Axl always had a bit of fireworks.

Izzy: Izzy likes everyone it seems, and maybe he'd come back as a one off show or something, but I think his tollerance for big personalities, drama, bullshit and all things GNR basicly wore out some time in 1990 or so. I can't see him comitting to anything long term and staying with it. Maybe he could be convinced to do a one off project or show or something though. Like if he has sone songs in mind or something. He wouldn't even be a part of VR! And there's A LOT more potential for problems here.

Slash: Seems quite happy playing to the audiences he is doing on his solo gig. he also has VR in the back pocket. Basicly while he'd like to do GNR stuff on his terms, I think he's mentally moved on from there, so there's probably no way he'd accept anything other than a favourable deal. And he has no reason to either - he is a key member of the old band - and he's shown he can increase his business exposure with or without GNR. In his own way - i think he's just as stuborn as Axl appears to the media - it's like two opposing forces of nature that can not outdo each other.

Axl: Seems unlikely to want to grant the kind terms that I'd guess Slash and others would want to secure their participation. From his point of view he sort of has a lot of risk to do so too. He'd be loosing a lot of control of what he's worked on. And there would be a sence that he wasted his previous time.  Even if he did. He's on record as expecting death before a change of heart. If he was going to buckle to pressure, it would have happened well before this point. the only thing that would work is if he changed his mind for his own reason, and that seems unlikely from what he says publicly at least.

GNR was always awesome because of the seperate forces and talents pulling the music in different directions. But these things make a perfect storm against reuniting IMO. As when you look at it, every one of the members has seriously good reasons to avoid a reunion, even if together they were the best band in the world.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:
bigbri wrote:

14 nevermind the fact the band was playing stadiums before they ever had a #1 album but whatever.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer