You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Re: what does Axl/GNR have to, to regain your interest 100%

Naltav wrote:

Fans not wanting to see the AFD-lineup "going through the motions" is very much understandble to me. Like someone mentioned, it would most likely be for the $$$ and not from the heart. Sure it would be huge. 80-90% of the crowd would prolly be lovin' it! But us hardcore fans would know and it would be very transparent.

In a few short months they will have been on tour on and off for one year. They've played and tested almost every song on CD (just like they did on the UYI-tour). And it seems they have settled on a setlist that suits hardcore new-GNR fans, old-GNR fans and the general rockfan. I guess that is in a way "going through the motions". There is no way around that. They have to do it like that!

AC/DC is a band that is REALLY going through the motions. Most fans seem to love it. But after decades of songs about tits, booze and the devil, I would get bored. Some of us love artists who evolve and challenge themselvs, and in doing so they challenge the listener.

For those of us who love CD, at least for me, there is some concern about what a AFD-linup could produce when it comes to new material....

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I love Chinese Democracy as much as anyone on here I think...which is a lot.....but there's also not a shred of "concern" in my mind about what the line up could produce should the genuinely want to work together again.

You are talking about guys that wrote songs like Jungle, You Could be Mine...that kind of stuff. The passage of a few years doesn't make people with that much tallent loose their mojo.

I also don't see why it would be "going through the motions" - assuming Axl was actually keen to reunite in this senario. I saw Adler play some AFD at a drum clinic. The dude was playing along to the CD, but damn the smile on his face was like a kid on christmas day, pure joy just to be playing those tunes. Then there's slash...at his recent solo shows he comes alive when playing the old GNR tracks, it's like he was born to play them, now immagine with duff, izzy and that unmistakeable voice of axl.

Today if we asked Axl he'd probably say he'd rather retire than play with them, and he's already proven money won't change his mind, but IF and it's a massive IF, circumtances ever changed and he WANTED to hang with those guys, if they really got back together as a band, it wouldn't be half assed and it wouldn't be going through the motions. they wont be doing it for money, it would be for the pure chemestry they've always had together, and it would be truely amazing I'm sure.

Oh and Ac/Dc kicks ass too....saw them three times this year...i'll grant you their live show is a well oiled machine, but they love what they do, and it's a killer night out. And Black Ice has a few killer tracks.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

In order.

# Release a new album from the CD sessions.

# Axl going into the creation process and actually explaining some things / songs as they happened. Doesn't have to be negative and how everybody's trying to stab him in the back; just his view on the whole journey.

# Put the Beavan mixes up in MySpace or wherever. Fuck the remixes - you have enough versions already.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I think something was gained by simply losing Finck. Tommy hated GnR. BH was just there being robotic. Nobody brought anything to the table imo. Not because they couldn't but because they weren't given the opportunity to do so.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

I don't understand this post at all. What was gained by losing Finck?  Why did Tommy hate GnR? Why the past tense?

Agree with the lack of opportunity, though I'd disagree that BH brought nothing to the table.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Today if we asked Axl he'd probably say he'd rather retire than play with them, and he's already proven money won't change his mind, but IF and it's a massive IF, circumtances ever changed and he WANTED to hang with those guys, if they really got back together as a band, it wouldn't be half assed and it wouldn't be going through the motions. they wont be doing it for money, it would be for the pure chemestry they've always had together, and it would be truely amazing I'm sure.

Oh and Ac/Dc kicks ass too....saw them three times this year...i'll grant you their live show is a well oiled machine, but they love what they do, and it's a killer night out. And Black Ice has a few killer tracks.

You're right, it is a massive IF. And if they all actually wanted to work together, from what I've heard from VR and Loaded, all things points to that we would get an album not unlike the UYI fillers. And after listening to the masterpiece that is Chinese Democracy, that would be a dissapointment.

No doubt an AC/DC gig is a fun night out. Never seen them live, but I would go if i got free tix. But a new album from them is like ordering a BigMac, you know what it will sound like before you hear it. To me, that's just boring and predictable.

I like artists who challange themselvs and the listener...

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Naltav wrote:

No doubt an AC/DC gig is a fun night out. Never seen them live, but I would go if i got free tix. But a new album from them is like ordering a BigMac, you know what it will sound like before you hear it. To me, that's just boring and predictable.

I like artists who challange themselvs and the listener...

I won't deny that you do kind of know what you are going to get, but that is also part of the enjoyment of it. Like brain is great at that balls out rock, and angus has that blues guitar down, so, when in the mood for those things, you can dial up some Ac/Dc and get exact satisfaction.

If i was in the mood for that, then pulled out a new Ac/Dc album, and it was brian singing upbeat polka and angus had quit quitar for the recorder or something I'd be like "WTF".

So i like it when people do what they do perfectly. And Ac/Dc does that - classic rock. When i want something different i'm happy to go to somewhere else, but when I want rock, i know that Ac/Dc is a sure thing, album unheard, to get me off on it!!

So i guess i agree it's like mcdonalds in a way, but vegitarian as I am, sometimes you just want a hamburger? hahah.

Anyway, I know what you mean as well, it can be fun for an artist to do new things. And chinese is an interesting album for that, as some songs are quite classic sounding - like TWAT and TIL could have been on UYI with only small adjustments to the arrangements. They arn't that distinct from say Breakdown or November Rain. Yet there's other songs that are pretty new for Axl, like If the World, and they're great. So i guess I like a blend in life, sometimes if an artist wants to go in a new direction that can be fun, but I also think there's nothing wrong with knowing what you are going to get for your dollar too sometimes.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

cuz finck is from the NIN school which is the ultimate anti guitar driven band, stinson is from the punk mentality whose ideals clash with the status that gnr got as the biggest band in the world, BH is a hell of a guitar player, but gnr was never about technically amazing feats that BH can do, it was sloppy sleazy riff rock

each of the musicians that axl has assembled is an amaziong talent unto themselves, but it was a total departure from GnR's roots, whcih i think was Axl's goal all along, to move the band in a new direction...and some would suggest a momre current and relevant direction

and some would argue that bringing DJ into the fold was a step back towards their roots...and BBF is arguably a more riff oriented gutiarist than bucket

in the end there are numerous takes on who is best or whatever for gnr....fact is that gnr is whoever is in the band currently...like it or not its what we're gonna get....it seems to be a somewhat stable lineup right now, and they are really clicking live...that's exciting to me by itself

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
smoke wrote:

I don't understand this post at all. What was gained by losing Finck?  Why did Tommy hate GnR? Why the past tense?

Agree with the lack of opportunity, though I'd disagree that BH brought nothing to the table.

Losing Finck gained the classics being played closer to the way they should be played.  Tommy hated GnR because of what they were.  BH, while immensely talented, was completely wasted playing the greatest hits album.   The whole band was either disinterested or wasted...thus why I feel they were all going through the motions. 

It was a job.  That's it.

Board footer