You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Slash eyed Rose for solo album

RussTCB wrote:

removed

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Why is it adding fuel? Slash LYING about certain things (which he has done in the past by inconsistent accounts of incidents) is one thing, but that comment is totally true.

It is what it is. Axl is a foot-dragger. He over thinks his material. It's the reason is high school buddy Izzy can only work with him part time. Some of he and Izzy's more modern collaborations as Guns N' Roses are still sitting in a vault, while Izzy has released how many albums in the same time frame?

The main thing that would've hung up Slash's solo album is that Axl wouldn't have liked any of it. He's said time and again that he hasn't really cared for Slash's work post-Guns, not that I blame him.

The prospect of Axl singing on "Slash" would be no different than Axl revisting the same argument that existed in 1995 with Snakepit. It's basically Slash going, "hey Axl come in and sing, but don't comment on any of my stuff".

We all know Axl doesn't work that way. The guy is just too blunt.

The irony that gets involved is that Axl would lend his vocals to that shittastic Baz album Angel Down, but he won't sing on Slash.

It's a shame really because imagine Ghost, that Duff & Dave Grohl track, or even that Paradise City collab with Cypress Hill, but with Axl - 11

Back From Cali could've been GNR's comeback song in alot ways. Axl Rose on that with Duff, Izzy & Steven would've kicked the door back in.

I never said Slash wasn't right.  I specifically said I agreed with him.  But a simple "I considered calling Axl but I decided not to do it due to our strained relation."  It is normal for him to think Axl would've delayed his record cause we all know that is what would've happened but saying so in the media is unnecessary.  This feud is getting tiresome.  And for the record Axl calling Slash a cancer a couple years back was worst and shouldn't have been said.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Sorry to be an "Axl Apologist" but the reason this quote adds fuel to the fire is it's basicly not the real reason he didn't call Axl, at best it would be a side contributing factor.

Sure Axl has a history of taking a while to get his records out, but there's also exceptions to the rule, I gather he pretty much recorded his parts for Angel Down when asked to do it, there was no months or years of delay on that one.

Let's be honest, the real reason Slash didn't call Axl is because:

* they havn't spoken in years

* all that happened last time was that he got into a talk with beta -  then a press release got issued that nearly broke up VR

* it would start a "slash is back in GNR" media fest that would distact from his solo activities, and Axl's chinese activities.

* He often goes around pointing out that playing with other guys isn't GNR, while Axl goes around calling him a cancer.

I can't think of anything cooler than if Axl had done a guest spot on one of these tracks, imagine "by the sword" or something with him, would have been amazing. But lets be real, it's got a shit load less to do with any time constraints and a hell of a lot more to do with the fact that they've not been friends since the early 1990s.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

I agree with russtcb- it's laughable to me that Slash "considered" Axl, but ultimately decided against it. I love Slash and don't hold anything against him, but that's a wee bit presumptuous on his part to assume that he has that sort of power.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

I think waaaayy too much is being made of this.   Slash used to be in a band with a great singer. 

It would be next to impossible for Slash to not think about Axl at points while trying to think of singers to go well with his music.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
jorge76 wrote:

I think waaaayy too much is being made of this.   Slash used to be in a band with a great singer. 

It would be next to impossible for Slash to not think about Axl at points while trying to think of singers to go well with his music.

Absolutely.  BUT, it was an obvious dig at Axl with the remark at the end.  And I agree with monkey, and disagree with others who say he's completely justified with his remark.  Baz had Axl guest on Angel Down at the drop of a hat.  They're friends, so it worked out well, and quickly.  Obviously things wouldn't have gone the same way between Slash and Axl.

With all that being said, how could Axl not cross Slash's mind for his record?  That alone doesn't mean a thing.  I'm sure Axl has thought countless times over the years about what Slash would contribute to certain songs.  Let the DJ Ashba comparisons begin.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ Oh yeah for sure.

I mean to be honest it would be weirder if he didn't think of Axl. I mean the guy is famous for being one of the best singers in rock, and they spent years in one of the tops bands in the world together....in their formative years no less. Of Course he thinks of Axl.

I just take issue with the idea that he didn't call Axl because he was worried about the time frame, that was obviously a cheap shot, and it's clear the real reason he didn't call Axl was that Axl seems to hate him.

Which is a damn shame, because slash's album is kickass and it would have been great to have Axl on there.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

He tells Classic Rock, "When I was in the middle of this process there were a lot of singers' names who flew through my mind during the process. You are living in 'Singer Land' so all you are thinking about is singers. The thought of him crossed my mind at one point. I thought, 'Axl could sing the shit out of any of these songs'."

But Slash "never made the call" and jokingly cites Gun N' Roses' long-gestating album Chinese Democracy, which took more than a decade to make, as his reasoning.

he says that during hte process of selecting singers a bunch through flew his head including Axl..i mean why wouldnt it, he was thinking of everyone he ever worked with and axl was the longest standing collaborative effort that he has had with a vocalist

and lets not forget who conducted this interview....classic rock prolly had discussions previously about Chinese Democracy, i would wager a guess that these comments are taken a bit out of context...in fact i wouldnt doubt that they were throw away shoot the shit comments and it was some how turned around to seem as though it was the focus point of the interview

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I could see Axl singing and writing some great lyrics on awful Myles Kennedy songs. I'd still love to hear Robert Plant on By The Sword and Saint is a Sinner Too, with Plant's own lyrics. I'd want to hear that more than Axl on any of those songs.

Board footer