You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Re: Slash eyed Rose for solo album

Saikin wrote:
misterID wrote:

I could see Axl singing and writing some great lyrics on awful Myles Kennedy songs. I'd still love to hear Robert Plant on By The Sword and Saint is a Sinner Too, with Plant's own lyrics. I'd want to hear that more than Axl on any of those songs.

Why has this thought never occurred to me?  11

That would be amazing.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
faldor wrote:

With all that being said, how could Axl not cross Slash's mind for his record?  That alone doesn't mean a thing.  I'm sure Axl has thought countless times over the years about what Slash would contribute to certain songs.

I have said this before and I'll say it again.  I think THIS is the reason that it took forever to release CD and it is the reason that nothing is happening going forward.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I've been thinking more about this, and I must say the thing that saddens me overall is that original GNR members can't find some sort of balance.

I understand why two guys might not want to spend forever working only with each other. At the end of the day, Slash gets sick of Axl's temprement and his lateness, and Axl gets sick of slash's relapses. Slash wants to do more guitar based stuff, Axl wants to play around with synths. It makes sense to branch out.

But what's sad is that there has to be this animosity. Like wouldn't it be cool if slash could go "Hey Axl, I don't really get the music you do these days, and we piss each other off in GNR, but damn this riff is perfect for your voice, how about a one off?" or if Axl could go "Well, I don't want to make albums and albums of guitar driven stuff, but damn, that track is pretty happenin, even though you drive me nuts, i'll send ya some vocals for this one song".

I guess that's fantasy. I'm just saying I don't see why it has to be 1988 GNR or nothing. And why it seems we've gone from the guys having each others backs in the past to hatred.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

It didn't have to be all or nothing.  Slash had his solo thing, Axl could have done his solo thing, and we could have had real GnR the entire time off and on.  Slash was all for Axl doing his music, just not as GnR.  Axl wouldn't do anything not as GnR.  That is why it couldn't be that way.  It could have and should have been that way, but in my opinion one person was too insecure to let it happen.  Certainly that's a simplification of the situation, but I'm too tired to write a book.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

It didn't have to be all or nothing.  Slash had his solo thing, Axl could have done his solo thing, and we could have had real GnR the entire time off and on.  Slash was all for Axl doing his music, just not as GnR.  Axl wouldn't do anything not as GnR.  That is why it couldn't be that way.  It could have and should have been that way, but in my opinion one person was too insecure to let it happen.  Certainly that's a simplification of the situation, but I'm too tired to write a book.

I actually never thought of it that way, and it seems to make perfect sense.  What's done is done though, and you can't re-write history.  In the end, I think both would have been a little too stubborn to make such an agreement work.

johndivney wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

It didn't have to be all or nothing.  Slash had his solo thing, Axl could have done his solo thing, and we could have had real GnR the entire time off and on.  Slash was all for Axl doing his music, just not as GnR.  Axl wouldn't do anything not as GnR.  That is why it couldn't be that way.  It could have and should have been that way, but in my opinion one person was too insecure to let it happen.

don't think it's much of a simplification, think it's right otm. now there are merits & negatives to axl's approach (many, many more negatives) & that's where you could write a book from, but in terms of 'artistic differences' what you've said is exactly what went wrong with the band.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

The very fact that Slash has openly said this shows he´s willing to do the reunion. The other members will also be willing we all know that. Axl at some point will do it as well. If anything this just spead up the process. Jab or no jab it´s clear Slash wants to work with Axl again, most of us want them to work together and eventually Axl is gonna have an idea that even he knows only Slash can bring to fruition. The reunion is gonna happen. It´s just a matter of time and with Slash being as on fire as he is right now and Axl sounding as good as he has in years they would be wise to make it sooner than later. Fuck it man the music world does want it.

buzzsaw wrote:

This is it in a nutshell. Slash always said this. I always felt it should´ve been thsi way and it would´ve been GREAT for everyone invloved, band and fans alike but THIS is where Axl´s ego of himself being Guns N´Roses got in the way.

faldor wrote:

I actually never thought of it that way, and it seems to make perfect sense.  What's done is done though, and you can't re-write history.  In the end, I think both would have been a little too stubborn to make such an agreement work.

Slash was quoted years ago saying this is how he thought it should´ve be so it was just one persons ego and we all know who´s it was.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
Bono wrote:

The very fact that Slash has openly said this shows he´s willing to do the reunion. The other members will also be willing we all know that. Axl at some point will do it as well. If anything this just spead up the process. Jab or no jab it´s clear Slash wants to work with Axl again, most of us want them to work together and eventually Axl is gonna have an idea that even he knows only Slash can bring to fruition. The reunion is gonna happen. It´s just a matter of time and with Slash being as on fire as he is right now and Axl sounding as good as he has in years they would be wise to make it sooner than later. Fuck it man the music world does want it.

I believe what the kids say is... "QFT"

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Bono wrote:
faldor wrote:

Slash was quoted years ago saying this is how he thought it should´ve be so it was just one persons ego and we all know who´s it was.

I hear ye, but you could also argue that Slash wasn't willing to work with Axl in a sense.  I mean, supposedly Slash brought Axl material that later became the Snakepit stuff and Axl said he wanted to tweak it, but Slash refused.  So in that sense, both of their egos played a part.

johndivney wrote:

u tell them stories they'd rather believe, use n confuse them they're young & naive..
just cause slash says somethin doesn't mean it's genuine or truthful. unless axl has a radical personality transplant there'll nvr be a reunion w/slash in GnR fulltime.

Board footer