You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Slash added Welcome to the Jungle to the setlist!

Axlin16 wrote:

Agreed, and I can not say I haven't thought about that myself just out of principle, changing it to 'Axl Rose - Chinese Democracy' in MP3 labeling.

I've always felt Chinese Democracy is the "Halloween III: Season of the Witch" or "Friday The 13th: The TV Series" of music. Something that only exists as a part of the brand in name only.

That's not to say ANY of it is bad, it's just branded what it is for selling purposes, and GNR's CD is no different.

Had Axl actually stuck with a consistent lineup and stayed true-er to the original spirit, I might give "post-old Guns" more credibility as still - Guns N' Roses. The revolving door and the "score card" album personel just kill it.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

To be fair, iTunes has a pretty cool feature where you can have an artist name show up a certain way on the screen but still be sorted in iTunes/iPod a different way. I have Guns N' Roses set as the "Sort Artist" for not only CD but Contraband, Libertad, and Slash. So when I am browsing my artists, GN'R shows up but then the others show up right after in chronological order: Velvet Revolver, Axl Rose, Slash. It looks a little funny because obviously it's not alphabetical order, but they are grouped together the way they should be from my point of view. When I think of Velvet Revolver, I think of Guns N' Roses. Same goes for the Slash or Axl solo albums. It's kinda like having all the James Bond movies grouped together on the DVD rack even though they all have different titles.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ That's a cool feature, I didn't realise you could do that.

Steven's idea that Axl should have named his band W.A.R. after Axl's name I always thought was a cool idea...let's face it...Axl's always been at war with the world in some way or other and while keeping the name probably feels right to Axl, it seems to be the sticking point with 90% of fans, and I think it generates most of the negativity that's out there toward Chinese Demo. If you can get away from the GNR brand and all that inherently entails to fans, musically it's just a damn good album, and Axl's parts are pretty much on par with his previous works.

I think you raise a good point through, in some ways all these albums do sort of go together. I've always felt 5'Oclock somewhere was basicly a GNR album exept lacking Axl.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

5 O'Clock, and I only mention it because I JUST listened to it today for the first time in YEARS.... man that album vocally is a fuckin' turd.

Not only are the lyrics godawful throughout (except for a couple songs), Dover is a goddamn hideous vocalist. I began cringing towards the end.

It's so sad, it could've been a fine album as an instrumental (some strong Slash instrumental work throughout), or vocally it would've been stronger with someone like Izzy or Duff on board or Axl for that matter.

Really needs the lyrics re-worked and the vocals lifted or changed.

Miss album - instrumentally beautiful

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

^ That's a cool feature, I didn't realise you could do that.

Steven's idea that Axl should have named his band W.A.R. after Axl's name I always thought was a cool idea.

haha yeah, Steven is basically braindead at this point but that is one of the few GREAT ideas he's had in a long time (ever?). 16

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

It's sad. Steven is probably in the best shape he's ever been in mentally. Slash has found himself again. Izzy & Duff are down with Axl. And Axl sounds the best he's ever sounded in his life...

I know it's a dead horse, but it's a shame. Even a one off in a LA club, unannounced but pro-shot bootlegged would be the fuckin' coolest thing in 20 years with Guns.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

It's sad. Steven is probably in the best shape he's ever been in mentally. Slash has found himself again. Izzy & Duff are down with Axl. And Axl sounds the best he's ever sounded in his life...

I know it's a dead horse, but it's a shame. Even a one off in a LA club, unannounced but pro-shot bootlegged would be the fuckin' coolest thing in 20 years with Guns.

I'd be fine with a one-off at the Hall of Fame. I saw a rumor that industry insiders are saying Slash might get in as an individual first because they don't think Axl will bother showing up. That would be a crock of shit IMHO. I love Slash, but nothing he has done since GN'R is Hall of Fame material. None of it. None of his solo, Snakepit, or Revolver stuff is Hall of Fame. You can't induct him as an individual for a collaborative effort where you had several others who were equally important to the band's sound. And hell, two of them were arguably more important because they were the primary songwriters.

This is one of the things that gets the Hall of Fame into hot water on a consistent basis. They tend to do things based on politics rather than the actual merits of each artist, which is bullshit. I have a feeling that part of Van Halen's holdup in being inducted was due to the same kind of problem where the band had a big rift. Ironically, when they finally did get inducted only two of them showed up and both were ex-members. 16

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Slash getting in solo is stupid. He's done absolutely nothing post-1991 to deserve the honor.

But the HOF lost credibility years ago. They let in people entirely undeserving of being called "rock n' roll", and yet somehow KISS, one of the most popular and commercially successful rock and roll acts to ever exist is somehow not allowed to be inducted.

Because they somehow don't have enough street cred? What the fuck?

Think what you want about KISS, they may be commercial but they embody everything about "showmen of rock". Not to mention Paul Stanley is one of the most underrated, understated, unique and distinct voices in music.

Just had to get that off my chest. It bugs me. I'm not even a diehard KISS fan and it bugs me.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Slash getting in solo is stupid. He's done absolutely nothing post-1991 to deserve the honor.

But the HOF lost credibility years ago. They let in people entirely undeserving of being called "rock n' roll", and yet somehow KISS, one of the most popular and commercially successful rock and roll acts to ever exist is somehow not allowed to be inducted.

Because they somehow don't have enough street cred? What the fuck?

Think what you want about KISS, they may be commercial but they embody everything about "showmen of rock". Not to mention Paul Stanley is one of the most underrated, understated, unique and distinct voices in music.

Just had to get that off my chest. It bugs me. I'm not even a diehard KISS fan and it bugs me.

I agree with that. GN'R has had similar crap hurled at them as well. Fact is it's the Hall of Fame, not just the Hall of Artistic Influence. If it was only the Hall of Artistic Influence, pretty much no one from 1980 and beyond would get in. Everything comes from the likes of Zeppelin, Floyd, Beatles, and everything that came before them (Delta Blues and Chicago Blues being the godfathers of it all). Who has GN'R influenced? Pretty much no one. But you can't deny that they were the biggest band on the planet for 5 years. Very few have EVER been able to claim that, especially for that long of a period. That makes them Hall of FAME worthy.

Sky Dog wrote:

U2 was just as big or bigger from 87 to 93....

Board footer