You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Slash added Welcome to the Jungle to the setlist!

Axlin16 wrote:

Axl used to have to go to the hospital ALOT after shows because he would push it so hard with his showmanship and energy that he would injure quite a bit.

I think Axl is still vastly understated as a showman. He is one of the best of all-time, and yes I would put him up there with Freddie Mercury, absolutely. Axl had the same ability to take a Wembley Stadium-sized audience and put them all in the palm of his hand.

And I do agree that UYI was the band basically telling their final story. I've always felt they only had ONE final album left in them, still unrealized, that would be their story of going through hell and back and living to tell the story on the other side, and writing from that standpoint. I see hints of that story in songs like "This I Love" or "Beautiful Dangerous".

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Axl used to have to go to the hospital ALOT after shows because he would push it so hard with his showmanship and energy that he would injure quite a bit.

I think Axl is still vastly understated as a showman. He is one of the best of all-time, and yes I would put him up there with Freddie Mercury, absolutely. Axl had the same ability to take a Wembley Stadium-sized audience and put them all in the palm of his hand.

And I do agree that UYI was the band basically telling their final story. I've always felt they only had ONE final album left in them, still unrealized, that would be their story of going through hell and back and living to tell the story on the other side, and writing from that standpoint. I see hints of that story in songs like "This I Love" or "Beautiful Dangerous".

I wouldn't be surprised if that rumor was true about Geffen pushing for the double album UYI instead of one at a time because he thought they'd die before recording the third album after the long tour.

The difference between Freddie and Axl is the pipes. Freddie had the operatic pipes and didn't need to expend as much energy screaming as hard as he could, which is clearly what Axl was doing 90% of the time. Crazy fucking bastard. Still can't believe he can sing so well at his age after the way he treated his voice back in the day. 16

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Freddie also just oozed rock star. Showman. Performer. Something just natural.

Axl on the other hand had to be a lunatic to get the audience's attention. Something to put himself over with them.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Freddie also just oozed rock star. Showman. Performer. Something just natural.

Axl on the other hand had to be a lunatic to get the audience's attention. Something to put himself over with them.

That's definitely a good way of putting it. I think the reason you see him underrated by some is the relatively quick burnout. But if you just look at a moment in time, Freddie is the only one that I would say was as good or better than Axl in his prime simply due to that ridiculous energy AND voice factor. I mentioned the pipes difference between Freddie and Axl, but at the same time it's not like Axl is a slouch. People talk about Mick Jagger's energy on stage, but the guy's voice wasn't anywhere near Axl's league IMHO. I know that'll piss you off b/c you're a big Stones fan, but it's the truth. Axl can cover a Stones song effectively. Could Jagger cover Welcome to the Jungle? Probably not very well. 16

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Actually it doesn't piss me off at all. I've always thought Mick is a terribly average on stage performer. Very forgettable, and vocally average. It's the material, as where the Stones shine.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Actually it doesn't piss me off at all. I've always thought Mick is a terribly average on stage performer. Very forgettable, and vocally average. It's the material, as where the Stones shine.

Fo sho. Stones were the epitome of rock and roll, although they're a joke at this point. But to be fair, Axl is a joke too and he's 20 years younger. 16

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Are we talking live or in the studio?  Axl is very spotty live, or at least he was. Haven't listened to a single recent boot, nor do I care to.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Are we talking live or in the studio?  Axl is very spotty live, or at least he was. Haven't listened to a single recent boot, nor do I care to.

Original point had nothing to do with vocals, just energy. As far as vocals, from what I've heard Mick Jagger's live voice has never been very good. Axl's has been spotty too, but he has a bigger range than Jagger.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Axl's vocal "dark time" was primarily 2001-2002.

Buzz you might wanna give a listen to a recent 2010 boot. Maybe a vid of You Could Be Mine w/ Duff from the other night. Axl's voice is damn good these days.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Axl's vocal "dark time" was primarily 2001-2002.

Buzz you might wanna give a listen to a recent 2010 boot. Maybe a vid of You Could Be Mine w/ Duff from the other night. Axl's voice is damn good these days.

Don't Cry has been my favorite this year. It's great to hear him nailing that song again.

Board footer