You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Mike
 Rep: 13 

Re: Footage of Eric Stoltz as the original Marty McFly revealed

Mike wrote:

Very similar to Michael J. Fox's version but pretty interesting:

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/thr-eri … mcfly.html

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah I saw this article earlier today. It was cool to finally see the Stoltz footage. All the scenes filmed seem identical to the Fox version, but the most obvious change is the wardrobe, which was completely altered with Fox. In alot of ways Stoltz looks more 80's.

But you can clearly see what Zemeckis & Spielberg were getting at with Stoltz being too serious. Even though he never says anything, even in his facial expression you can tell he's playing it far more serious than Fox ever did. It was a good move ultimately, because even though I can see Stoltz in the original, I could never imagine Stoltz in the sequels, especially Part III.

It's really cool to see the Trilogy (my personal favorite), finally come out on Blu-Ray.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I was working with a 6 year old boy last week and he was telling me all his favourite films, I was well chuffed to hear that most of them were ones I loved as a kid and BTTF was one of them smile

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Very cool

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Yeah I saw this article earlier today. It was cool to finally see the Stoltz footage. All the scenes filmed seem identical to the Fox version, but the most obvious change is the wardrobe, which was completely altered with Fox. In alot of ways Stoltz looks more 80's.

But you can clearly see what Zemeckis & Spielberg were getting at with Stoltz being too serious. Even though he never says anything, even in his facial expression you can tell he's playing it far more serious than Fox ever did. It was a good move ultimately, because even though I can see Stoltz in the original, I could never imagine Stoltz in the sequels, especially Part III.

It's really cool to see the Trilogy (my personal favorite), finally come out on Blu-Ray.

Yeah you can actually tell by the footage.

Or, we can tell because we're used to Fox and not Stoltz.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

We'll Fox played it like it was all completely unbelieveable and a big joke, WITHOUT being campy, which was precisely what the audience needed. The audience felt the same way, and felt like Marty McFly was their link in the film to themselves. They were just as over-the-top in shock at all the goings on in the films.

Stoltz playing it serious gives a sci-fi/fantasy that is completely unbelieveable, credibility as something that could actually happen. It's better than playing it campy, but playing it serious doesn't work either. The audience would laugh at Stoltz as McFly, rather than the other characters, because Marty is asking them to believe it's real.

Michael J. Fox as Marty is telling the audience "yeah, I get it, this is so insane (heavy), I can't believe any of this is happening", and that's the reason his performance works, is iconic now, and still holds up and keeps the BTTF Trilogy one of the best to this very day, and seemingly just gets better with age.

Board footer