You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: GUNS N' ROSES - FOREVER TOGETHER // South American Tour Documentary

johndivney wrote:

need footage of the chicken coop.

tho not bucket jerkin the chicken.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Naltav wrote:

As for a full live DVD/BluRay with AFD, UYI and CD songs, I doubt we will ever see that.

Why? Copy and paste from another thread:

If GNR wanted to release some proshot material from a show. That would include many songs from the back catalogue, and would prolly mean that ex-members would have to give the green light for the release.

No I don't think it does. 

Any person can obtain a statute baised compulsory mechanical license to record a cover version of any song that has been previously released.

This means you and I, or Axl and Bumble, can re-record all of Slash and Duff's back catalogue and as long as we send their publishers the license cheque there's not too much they can do about it.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Naltav wrote:

Any kind of official video would be cool!

The making of the Trilogy videos are awesome! I have watched them so many times over the years that I almost know every word by heart! (*embarrassed-total-nerd-fanboy/axlite*)

Imagine something like that released in regards to the Chinese Democracy saga! Real personal interviews from the people involved!
I'd eat that shit raw!

As for a full live DVD/BluRay with AFD, UYI and CD songs, I doubt we will ever see that.

Naltav wrote:

If GNR wanted to release some proshot material from a show. That would include many songs from the back catalogue, and would prolly mean that ex-members would have to give the green light for the release. Prolly not the easiest thing in the world to negotiate!
hmm

And then you could argue, "Hell, just release a show on bluray with all new material!"
Then the label would prolly say: "What?! C'mon Axl... You can't possibly think that we're gonna release a live Guns N' Roses show without SCOM, WTTJ, PC. Get a grip man!!"

Just because Axl owns the GNR name, doesn't mean he can release whatever he sees fit. I think....

Thinking about this makes me wanna know stuff about GNR's contract with Universal. How many albums? Timeframe etc etc...

Would kinda give us a hint on when to start expecting some ccol releases!

A fuckin' men. Karma. 9

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Don't he? Because he owns the rights to them. Don't anyone remember that Sanctuary deal years ago? The back cataloge of the songs and all of that? I'll be very surprised if Slash or Duff can stop any form of WTTJ appearing anywhere.

If he wanna release stuff WITH Slash or Duff is another issue, but songs? Nope, I don't think it will pose any problems. Slash will be paid his royalties as co writer, as will Izzy.

Or can someone enlighten me what happened to the Sanctuary deal?

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Axl licensed his share of the back catalog for 20 years for $20 million to Sanctuary. He still retained say so over the use of the material, Sanctuary (or whoever owns them now) make the money off of it. After 20 years, the license reverts back to Axl and/or his estate.

As for the back catalog, no one seems to have a major issue. I saw that Slash: Deluxe Edition in Best Buy the other day, that had several performances of AFD songs with him and Myles, and Slash seemed to have no problems releasing it.

But I don't think the problem comes down to the songs. It comes down to distribution. I think Axl has signed so many deals for front money that anything with the name Guns N' Roses that is released, has to be done through Universal, and for a long time. Just my opinion, I have no proof.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Ah, there you go, and I think you might be right on the last one there.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

They can stop syncronisation of the actual recordings I'd guess, like AFD soundtrack - but NOT a cover.

So like slash can't put the AFD version of SCOM on his album, but he can re-do it.

I'm pretty sure if Axl wants his current band to play snakepit1 then as long as he pays the compulsory license fee to slash (set up in the legislation) then no-one can do dick about it.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Naltav wrote:

If GNR wanted to release some proshot material from a show. That would include many songs from the back catalogue, and would prolly mean that ex-members would have to give the green light for the release.

No I don't think it does. 

Any person can obtain a statute baised compulsory mechanical license to record a cover version of any song that has been previously released.

This means you and I, or Axl and Bumble, can re-record all of Slash and Duff's back catalogue and as long as we send their publishers the license cheque there's not too much they can do about it.

Well, as I started the original post in that other thread, I'm not entirely sure I'm down with the facts on this stuff...

Come to think of it...I think you're on to something, monkeychow.

On a norwegian music-show on TV, there was this story about a band called Donkeyboy, that has kinda made it big with a song called "Ambitions" here in Norway. Their recordcompany wants to try and make them big in England. But sorta out of nowhere this guy who was on the english version of X-Factor re-records it and release it as a single in England and kinda shits all over their plans!!
On the TV-show they interviewed some guy who had some knowledge on the music-buisness, and he pretty musch said that anybody can re-record anything they want as long as they don't change the music more than so and so....

So I guess I'm kinda talking outa my ass on this subject!

But thinking about how much killer proshot material there must in the vault, surely there must be some sort of contractual agreement from the past that are preventing stuff to be officially released. Or maybe some peeps at Universal are just pissed at Axl for not promoting ChiDem, that they won't throw shit his way untill hell freezes over or untill he "man up" and hands over more gems from the the ChiDem-sessions, whichever comes first(!)
smile

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

They can stop syncronisation of the actual recordings I'd guess, like AFD soundtrack - but NOT a cover.

So like slash can't put the AFD version of SCOM on his album, but he can re-do it.

I'm pretty sure if Axl wants his current band to play snakepit1 then as long as he pays the compulsory license fee to slash (set up in the legislation) then no-one can do dick about it.

True, but for the record it's not an Axl thing. It would be a Universal music thing which I believe holds the rights at least to the GN'R brand releasing anything lifted from the catalog.

Alot of fans try to say, well "Slash did this" or "Axl did that"... I really think it's out of the both of their hands.

Thus the reason they both tried and couldn't stop the release of "Greatest Hits".

Board footer