You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Duff Joining GNR (Oct 14, 2010) was awesome but dumb

misterID wrote:
Bono wrote:

the crazy part is people in this thread trying to downplay this. My fucking God Duff played live on stage with Axl Rose and still people say it does´t mean much. It means a shit ton and if people can´t see the reunion coming they are so in denial.
If a week ago anyone told us Duff would be on stage replacing Tommy for one song people would laugh at the idea and say no way but now it happens and I´m reading people say it doesn´t mean that much? Fuck off hahaha!

I´m not saying a  reunion is coming tomorrow but gimme a break people the "near impossible" just happened.

There really wasn't anything near impossible about it, especially when Axl has talked about it in the past, exactly how it went down -- and Axl was in complete control of that Duff moment and how it played out.

It would be nice to see Slash on stage with him like Izzy and Duff, but I don't see it happening. I even think Slash is at a point now where he would probably do whatever Axl wanted just to get back with the band and Axl, and Axl still wouldn't have anything to do with him. It would take a long time of Duff subtly (oh-so subtly) planting the idea of Slash in Axl's head, just getting him interested in him, or concerned, even just as a fellow human being who he once had a relationship with, to get Axl to even consider the idea of talking to Slash. It could happen, I just don't see anything close to a reunion happening. I don't think anyone who thinks a reunion is inevitable even realizes what a monumental task it would take just for that to happen.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
misterID wrote:
Bono wrote:

the crazy part is people in this thread trying to downplay this. My fucking God Duff played live on stage with Axl Rose and still people say it does´t mean much. It means a shit ton and if people can´t see the reunion coming they are so in denial.
If a week ago anyone told us Duff would be on stage replacing Tommy for one song people would laugh at the idea and say no way but now it happens and I´m reading people say it doesn´t mean that much? Fuck off hahaha!

I´m not saying a  reunion is coming tomorrow but gimme a break people the "near impossible" just happened.

There really wasn't anything near impossible about it, especially when Axl has talked about it in the past, exactly how it went down -- and Axl was in complete control of that Duff moment and how it played out.

It would be nice to see Slash on stage with him like Izzy and Duff, but I don't see it happening. I even think Slash is at a point now where he would probably do whatever Axl wanted just to get back with the band and Axl, and Axl still wouldn't have anything to do with him. It would take a long time of Duff subtly (oh-so subtly) planting the idea of Slash in Axl's head, just getting him interested in him, or concerned, even just as a fellow human being who he once had a relationship with, to get Axl to even consider the idea of talking to Slash. It could happen, I just don't see anything close to a reunion happening. I don't think anyone who thinks a reunion is inevitable even realizes what a monumental task it would take just for that to happen.

Exactly, it wasn't THAT big of a deal in the sense that Axl already said he would play with Duff.  Duff has said positive things about Axl and vice versa the last couple of years.  So while it was cool as shit, it wasn't out of this world unexpected. 

A reunion is no closer than it ever was, and won't ever be until Axl can come to some sort of terms with Slash.  If he starts to ease up on the man and starts to praise him, then I'll believe a reunion may be on the horizon.  But until then, all this was, was a really cool one off.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I also think Axl doesn't give two shits about Gilby or Matt. He sees them as replacement players,

Unfortuantely it's that same attitude that could also mean any of the current "replacment players" could be out on their ass in a heart beat if it suited Axl.

I agree that it appears Axl can make good $$'s without reuniting.  BUT at heart he is a musician and I'm sure as part of that the ego wants the music to reach as many people as possible, to be king of the mountain, to have large scale success.  Whilst Axl's career obviously hasn't been a failure post '93 I'm sure he would have like to have had a bit more commercial succes.

The X factor of a reunion thrown in with some new music gives him a slim chance of scaling to some of those dizzy heights of success that they enjoyed previously.  It would never get to the same heights but he would still be looking down on aything he could achieve with any version of NuGNR.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

what this did in my opinion is make the rock and roll hall of fame way more realistic. He could possibly stomach Slash for a few songs. What kinda sucks with the Duff thing ,we really didn't get the HUGE payoff.

When Axl introduced Duff and told the story.. Duff u could tell wasn't sure if he should go over and hug Axl or what.. u could tell he was indecisive and he took a step or two towards Axl then stopped, kinda looked... kinda awkward and then left. Axl didn't really acknowledge him other than looking at him singing the break ur heart in two line...

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
Bono wrote:

All we need to remember about this is, Axl said he would maybe do something with Duff. And he did.

No matter how much that shits all over your selective memory and fantasy, those are the facts.

End of story!

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Somehow I don't imagine a GN'R reunion becoming the watercooler talk of the world Mikka.

Only in the minds of the geeks. Sure it'd be big, but I think some of you overexaggerate it's potential effect.

Spot on, in the same way CD didn't reinvent music as we know it and Prostitute wasn't the best selling single of all time a reunion wouldn't stop the traffic in the street like some may think.

It'd make the front cover of music mags, it may even make tv news but it's not going to be a world event.

This has been my stance for quite awhile. I used to think it'd be one of the biggest musical stories in history, but just no way in hell is it gonna be like that in 2010 and beyond.  If it had happened in that 2000-02 period, it might have been similar to what happened with the resurgence of the Stones in 1989 with the Steel Wheels album/tour. Could have been a massive act even with few album releases(Stones/U2).

Its just not gonna be at that level for many reasons. It will be an arena act at best and may have trouble selling tix in smaller markets. Could easily sell out Wembley. Tokyo Dome,etc. and over here maybe Giants Stadium but when we get down to brass tacks, the reunion shindig will be occurring in arenas.

Like you said, it'll be front page news the moment its announced but the next day its back to business as usual.

Just like with CD, some forum junkies are gonna be shocked at the minimal impact that occurs.

And honestly, I think it's been that way since the heyday. The only real figures most audiences know is Axl & Slash. The reason if it was Axl & Slash, backed by Ron, Richard, Tommy, Frank, Dizzy & Chris, people would be screaming "REUNION!"

Axl and Slash touring would obviously be more high profile than the current tour, but no way in hell are people gonna buy that as the reunion. Fortus will have bottles of piss raining down on his head while people chant for Izzy. You're really underestimating the intelligence of long time fans. When Axl used to introduce the band members in the classic era, each member got a huge reaction from the crowd. Just because Izzy doesn't sell millions of copies of his Itunes records doesn't mean he wont be missed if/when a reunion happens.

I think it's a sad shame, but if Axl were to walk out with Tommy and introduce him as "on the bass guitar, Mr. Duff McKagen", most would cheer and just assumed he dyed his hair.

While Stinson isn't a huge star, he is certainly well known and no one is gonna think he is Duff.

Would you consider a reunion with the 'Appetite' or 'Illusions' lineups?

No.

Meh. He changes his mind when it suits him. His 92 interview with RS was basically a huge rant towards Izzy including saying he didn't want Izzy to be in his life again and he also bitched about Izzy at several shows on the 2002 tour. We know how that turned out. On the next tour he was practically a member of the touring lineup. Bitched about Sorum several times in the past then the two had a cozy little chat in 2006. Same with Adler. Pretty sure he also ranted about Duff on that 2002 tour and released a statement through his attorney during that 2005 crap...

Slash and Duff have an unfortunate pattern over the past few years of filing sensational but baseless lawsuits for the purpose of generating anti-Axl propaganda. It is clear that Slash and Duff are looking for another opportunity to spread untruths about Axl in an effort to hurt his reputation and to alienate his fans while at the same time creating a profile for themselves.

Go listen to the Albany 2002 rant on how he feels about Slash, Duff,etc.

In 1999-2002 he was very negative towards Slash. In 2006 when he resurfaced, "I love the guy, I always wanted everyone to know how great he was...", then a few months later was that Axl/Weiland/Slash crap.

He called Slash a cancer a year ago? Big whoop. He'll call him a saint next year.

Richard Fortus is more legit than Gilby.

Gilby was all over TSI and Axl recorded Dead Flowers on Pawnshop Guitars. Fortus strums a guitar on a few songs buried in the mix.

I think Gilby has the advantage in that battle.

I even think Slash is at a point now where he would probably do whatever Axl wanted just to get back with the band

I've never understood that point of view considering Slash has had the most success out of the original members. You act like he's done nothing and is begging to come back.

If he starts to ease up on the man and starts to praise him, then I'll believe a reunion may be on the horizon.

He was praising him four years ago.

All we need to remember about this is, Axl said he would maybe do something with Duff. And he did.

No matter how much that shits all over your selective memory and fantasy, those are the facts.

End of story!

Definitely not the end of the story as his views on all the ex members change from year to year.

If you think he has continually stated he would do something with Duff, it is you that is suffering from selective memory.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Also just want to point out in reference to a reunion being only Axl and Slash and that you could introduce Tommy as Duff and nobody would know that I think it's pretty wide of the mark. Slash and Axl are the figureheads of a reunion and would be the guys the media would want to talk to but there's no way references to Duff and Izzy wouldn't be made if they weren't involved.

At the Manchester show on Monday guess who got the loudest cheer during band intros? Dizzy, by some distance. Not that the others didn't get cheered but Dizzy's was the loudest. Dizzy's a bit part player but simply his association with the old band got him a louder cheer than the others.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Some of you think that all the guys who left GN'R are begging Axl to let them come back. The only guy, who's doing this, is Steven Adler. The 'huge GN'R family band' wouldn't be a bad idea, but no way in hell would Slash or Duff be there for half of the shows and spend the reamining time in their room, while Ron Thal or Richard Fortus is playing guitar on the stage. You really underestimate both the reputation and the ego of these people. They are not hired back-up musicians.
As for Izzy N' Duff reuniting with Axl on a permanent basis without Slash. It will never happen. I seriously doubt that we'll see those 3 on stage for a song without the top-hatted one. I don't see the reunion a close and likely scenarion, but that'd happen sooner than the Axl-Duff-Izzy reunion.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

End of story!

Definitely not the end of the story as his views on all the ex members change from year to year.

If you think he has continually stated he would do something with Duff, it is you that is suffering from selective memory.

I didn't say he has continually stated he would do something with Duff. But he did say it in one of the few interviews after the release of CD. And now he did it!

Just pointing out that the event was not as big of a surprise as some are desperately trying to present it...

Sure, I can understand that some re-union-friendly forummembers want this to be a sign of things to come. And the scenario that this event will just fade into history as "a cool thing that happened once..." is kinda scary. Because if this doesn't push things in the direction of a re-union, what the hell will...?

The behind the scenes drama is most likely less dramatic than some of us tend to believe

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

even though Axl said it may happen its still a huge shock for me...and i think its pretty fucking cool, but i dunno how much the average Joe cares, and i dont think it'll have an impact on the longevity of the current band....

as for how big of deal you make it out to be, well anytime alumni comes on stage with Axl then its one step closer to a possible reunion of some kind in the future, whether or not it will ever happen is another story, but we can dream...even for a HOF one off, or a Live8 PF type of thing or something

Board footer