You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Duff Joining GNR (Oct 14, 2010) was awesome but dumb

monkeychow wrote:

Hmmm....

On one hand I agree with D that *if* a reunion was ever going to happen between Slash and Axl, Duff would be the ideal steping stone to it, given he's the current VR bassist. So it does change the layout from like Duff, Matt and Slash vs Axl's crew - kind of thing.

However it's worth keeping mind that Axl has previously listed Izzy and Duff as the two guys he'd play with despite anouncing that death will occur prior to playing with slash.

Bottom line..I think it means duff was making a lot of noise, axl came to check it out, they had a chat and thought it would be fun to jam out a couple of songs for old times sake.

There's a world of difference from playing 4 tracks with an old mate one night, and signing back up to be in the band full time. Duff was in town - it's play GNR or watch TV that night - i know what i'd pick - but doesn't mean he wants to get back into the GNR machine of late starts riot danger and all that when he has VR going on and whatever else.

So i think we need to see it in context.

Hell much as I love the new band, i'd loose my shit if there was a reunion, slash and axl man, it's like Joe and steve, but it's not on the cards I don't think.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Yeah, I don't see this as being any closer to a reunion either.  Obviously people are going to react that way.  I texted a friend of mine that this happened and he inevitably asked if a reunion was on the horizon.  The fact remains that a lot needs to happen to get Axl and Slash on the same page, and I wouldn't be shocked if Axl comes out and slams Slash again soon, as I'm sure a lot of reunion talk will be thrown about in the following days.

Take it for what it is.  Axl said he could see himself doing something with Duff.  Obviously they were on good terms.  Duff had Bumblefoot guest with him at a Loaded show, so they're apparently somewhat tight.  All the signs were there.

Now if Slash starts palling around with DJ or guests on a SixxAM album, then we might be onto something.  But until then, I don't think we're anywhere closer to a reunion.  Axl has been pretty steady with his stance, and nothing has changed to improve the prospects.

And I certainly don't think having Duff join them tonight was "dumb".  Once people realize a reunion ain't happening AGAIN, the talk will die down, as it always does and life will be back to normal.

JIP
 Rep: 10 

JIP wrote:

i always loved duff and watching these youtube clips this morning is fucking awesome...i disagree with the title thread though!i don't think it's dumb to share the stage with duff cause he happened to stay in the same hotel with guns...this is so kind of axl...last year i met ron and we talked about things...i asked him about the gig he played with duff...he was so cool with duff and told me they had the same guitar tech...so it's a small world out there...we should see these moments from a different perspective...it's a great thing to be a gn'r fan and there's not a single day i regret being one

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Isn't Ron the godfather to Duff's kids, or somesuch? Pretty sure they're close mates, anyway.

johndivney wrote:
-D- wrote:

FINALLY, they are starting to make traction and people are starting to embrace and recognize the new band for their talents. People have kinda accepted that a reunion will never happen and now THIS

bullshit

-D- wrote:

I have always been super pro reunion as everyone knows and Im gonna be honest, Duff joining for one song is the most excited Ive been about this band since CD came out.

see??

in most peeps eyes the 2010 line-up is the LEAST credible GnR line-up there has EVER been yet suddenly Duff guests for a couple o' tunes one night we get to RE-WRITE our recent history within a couple of minutes if that happening??

if there was ANYTHING PRE-CONCEIVED about Duff's appearance it wasn't to test the waters for a renuion, it was to change the story of the bad press from Reading to something a little cool - BUT i don't believe that was the case either: i don't think there was a scenario where axl thought he should do something cool in the UK to counter the Reading/Leeds (Dublin?) negativity & he struck upon the idea of using Duff. in all likelihood it's a meeting between 2 guys who are still buddies & they're having a bit of a jam. the point is Duff n Axl parted on pretty good terms & axl has shown he is able to deal with SOME former band members - he's partied with steven, matt, gilby, izzy & now duff. the only one he isn't into is the most important one.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Whoa there, every body bring the horses back to the stable.... let me be the first to say that this in no way means a "reunion" of any sort is imminent.

I think it's normal people will react that way.  It doesn't bother me that much.  At least it doesn't seem to rekindle the old GNR vs NU GNR feud.  But I seriously hope Duff can bring some sort of peace between Axl and Slash, not for a reunion but for both of them.  Regardless I would've loved to be in the same room when Axl and Duff met.  I would've liked to hear the stories those guys may have shared.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Jesus fucking Christ. They met in London, decided to join up and a do a few songs. Not because they wanna reunite, have babies or go on a trek in the mountains outside Barcelona.

I'm not gonna get into this because it's just silly. Go ahead, I mean, discuss the fuck out of it, but for me it was an old member joining his old band on stage because they wanted to have some fun.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Can we change in title of this thread? Duff joining and hanging with Guns will never ever be dumb. It was dumb to title it as such.

I don't want to get involved in reunion talk because anyone who thinks that after this is seriously dumb.

This is nothing more than Izzy in 2006. A moment of coolness between two old friends.

I must say i'm soaking this all in. The band was on fire, and it was great to see Duff. YCBM sounded like the YCBM of old with Duff on backing vocals, and that was cool as fuck.

I'm glad he buried the hatchet with Axl and enjoyed playing with the current band. I hope they had shitloads of fun behind the scenes, and I hope to see Duff on stage with Guns very very soon again.

Just a cool ass moment

And like I said yesterday - long live Guns N' Roses. 3

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

What happened with Duff getting on stage I think was absolutely awesome!  But to think this whole thing was a complete coincidence - (loud music up the corridor of the same hotel out of the blue etc etc) if you believe that then you believe in the tooth fairy.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Can we change in title of this thread? Duff joining and hanging with Guns will never ever be dumb. It was dumb to title it as such.

I don't want to get involved in reunion talk because anyone who thinks that after this is seriously dumb.

This is nothing more than Izzy in 2006. A moment of coolness between two old friends.

I must say i'm soaking this all in. The band was on fire, and it was great to see Duff. YCBM sounded like the YCBM of old with Duff on backing vocals, and that was cool as fuck.

I'm glad he buried the hatchet with Axl and enjoyed playing with the current band. I hope they had shitloads of fun behind the scenes, and I hope to see Duff on stage with Guns very very soon again.

Just a cool ass moment

And like I said yesterday - long live Guns N' Roses. 3

Agree to all of it. Take it for what it is. Axlin gets it, and so should everyone else.

Board footer