You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Duff Joining GNR (Oct 14, 2010) was awesome but dumb

Sky Dog wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Sales aren't the only factor. Profit has 2 parts to it. VR spends tons less than gnr does.

no shit Sherlock, thanks for business 101....beer sales, merchandise, etc...no WAY in holy hell VR and all the other side projects come close.

Sky Dog wrote:
-D- wrote:

Not trying to insult certain members on this forum, but a lot of u just don't "Get it"

What i said,for whatever reason, doesn't register.

It doesn't matter what hardcore internet fans think. To us, its a nice little one off gift. but Rolling Stone had that shit on their website probably before the concert was even over.  Other musical news outlets reported it and they all ask the same question "Does this mean a full fledged reunion?"

It undermines all the hard work and all the hurdles the new band have had to jump, and it undermines all the hard work Axl has put into getting people to accept this new band. Finally people aren't chanting "We want Slash" finally the new guys are getting credit for their skill but all this does is re-light that reunion match with napalm.

I'm sorry some can't understand the ramifications of that. in that aspect, having old members onstage is dumb. Exciting, I am all for it personally, but in the grand scheme of GNR, it's a terrible idea.

and what exactly were the ramifications of Izzy doing almost a full tour with them?....that's right...nothing. roll

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

madagas is right. In 2006, I would've completely agreed with you D, because I thought that was the direction everything was going because of Izzy becoming a recurring special guest star on that tour.

After that, it's obvious they can have the old members back (not Slash) without any ramifications being done to the image of the new band and it's future. To be completely honest, who cares if Axl's not gonna release new music? If Axl doesn't have future albums planned with the current band then it hurts nothing in the long run. To be honest, Axl SHOULD reunite if he's gonna just continue to tour the world playing the hits until no one wants to hear them anymore.

Duff doing a one-off show with them means nothing in comparison to Izzy. If anything, it'll cause shit to derail with VR rather than GN'R. In alot of ways for the first time in years new GN'R has finally locked in to their role and most likely ain't gonna come out of it until Axl's willing to do promo himself, new albums or not. GN'R as it exists today only appeals to the diehards anyways, and despite the writers at RS that still have a hard on for a reunion (not that I don't), their opinions and their heat don't mean shit. Axl does what he wants.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Well I think a fairer comparison would be how would VR compare to Axl's GNR if all Axl did was play new music, none of the old stuff.  But that's never gonna happen because Axl is always going to continue to leverage off the music that they all made famous.  I guarantee you probably 90-95% of people at those concerts are there for the classic stuff not CD material.  So with that in mind did Axl really win? 

I'm sure that legacy at times pisses him off, he can't get the majority of the joe average music consuming public to move beyond the stuff that was written 20-25 years ago.

I would probably argue that none of them have really won out of this whole sad state of affairs.   Neither are struggling by any means but you couldn't argue either has been a raging success.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

Aus I think they all play the old songs. big_smile

As far as duff + Axl = dumb? What? theres always a GnR mention in any of the other guys interviews. Alot of them even ask when is the reunion. Shure more will ask now. If anything it will be harder on Duff and Slash. Axl wont grant the chance.

All bands tour on there hits to introduce new songs( Yeh i know CD isnt new) A tour after release is a freebee and helps pay for the next record

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
madagas wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Sales aren't the only factor. Profit has 2 parts to it. VR spends tons less than gnr does.

no shit Sherlock, thanks for business 101....beer sales, merchandise, etc...no WAY in holy hell VR and all the other side projects come close.

Beer sales don't go to the band. And no way in hell the side projects spend anywhere near what gnr does. Gnr probably outspends them in salary alone. You're still ignoring the equation and only looking at sales.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Duff doing a cameo means way more than izzy.

Izzy was always axl's mate so it's no real surprise for him to make up with Axl.

Plus he quit well before the end of what most people see as non-modern GNR. Alan Niven and some fans aside, most people recgonise the Tokyo DVD era as still legitimately GNR.

Further he's been off the radar for decades. Sure he has some solo albums, but most people don't know them, he's had no Velvet Revolver size project.

Duff on the other hand stayed in the light quite a bit. He's been playing with Jane's Additction, and is strongly assoicated with Slash and Matt from VR, which despite the lack of love from GNR board peeps, did make quite an inital splash in the media and the public with Slither and Contrband's general promotion and tours.

In short, izzy is a transient and his choice to love or hate Axl doesn't mean much in terms of any likelyhood of anyone else following suit. But to the public - Duff, who rolls with Slash...we'll it's so close to Slash himself being there...which is what it's all about.

Of course in real life, it's probably not any closer, for as long as Axl hates slash we won't see any love.

Also, I don't know what motivates people earlier in the thread to say a reunion means no new music. If anything, much as I love CD, it's the new era that's been slow about new music. If you look at loaded and VR and the solo albums and snakepit, the rest of the band are always putting out new records. And slash's modern shredding is pretty much better than his old, just as Axl sounds amazing at the moment. There's no doubt a real reuinon could write us a killer fuckin record.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

You pose an interesting point. Has Axl been insecure about releasing new material with any new incarnation of the band, because he's insecure in their ability?

Would Slash, Izzy & Duff back in the studio make him feel more comfortable that a quality product would exist? Thus future albums.

Possibly. But remember, it was Axl who basically condemned everything Slash had done since Lies and said he wished they would've replaced him before the Illusion's.

Now I don't know if that comment was made out of anger, or he said it and meant it. If so, I highly doubt Axl would feel more comfortable.

Then again, it was Axl who constantly tried to get Slash back in the fold during the initial breakup, renigged and suddenly expressed interest in making the first Snakepit album a GN'R album in order to keep Slash happy, and a couple times, rumor only, has tried to launch a reunion with Slash with neither side willing to agree to terms.

Seems to depend on the day/year/month as to how Axl feels about Slash, the old band, the new band, GN'R, and future albums.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

it was anger....he (Axl)wanted to work on thoes Snakepit songs and paid slash thru the rest of the year he quit.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Yes, I am interested to see how Slash takes this... Him and Duff are real friends, regardless of the band they are in... But Slash and Axl are not, Duff went there... Duff normally has Slash's back.. Duff and Axl had to have some sort of talk, wonder if Slash was discussed on any level.

Board footer