You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Patience ripped off from Tesla?

johndivney wrote:

yea tesla are pretty great

don't think they ever wrote a song as good as patience tho..

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/user/teslatheband?blend=1&ob=4
TESLA's Official Channel

There youtube. I still havent found this "patience demo"

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

Yeah Tesla are completely underrated. That being said, comparing Signs to Patience is embarrassing.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

they never really were a slow it down type of band. i mean they have their moments in some songs but they always ended up rocking

Song and Emotion may be a better comparison to patience

or Signs to KOHD

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/reverb/2 … _patie.php
n 1984, Izzy Stradlin lived in an apartment across the street from me in Hollywood, right behind the Chinese Theater off Hollywood Boulevard. The man seemed to ALWAYS have an acoustic guitar in his hands, and was always writing bits and pieces of songs. He still does this today.

There was one especially melodic thing that he had been working on, and every once in a while he would dust it off and work on it some more.

By 1986, our band Guns N' Roses had a record deal. With that money, I put myself on a small stipend that could basically pay my rent--or half-rent, I should say--for about six months.

One of my best friends at the time was looking to move to Hollywood from her parents' house somewhere in Orange County. She and I decided that we could share rent on a one-bedroom apartment on Gardner; she would get the bedroom, and I the floor of the dining room (which I cordoned off into my little den of darkness).

My other good friend then was a guy named Del James, a recent transplant from New York who became an important part of our tightknit little group of friends and ersatz consiglieres.

Del needed a place to crash for a week or so, and back then, what was mine was his. During that first week of couch-surfing at my apartment, Del and my roommate Debby became romantic, and Del moved from the couch to her bedroom.

Del was an avid reader, and turned me onto a book called Slugs by Shaun Hutson. I remember just sitting in my bedroom/dining room with my curtain pulled taught, and reading this book with life sort of swirling around me in our apartment. There were drugs aplenty then, and Valium was the drug-of-the-month at that particular point.

I remembered Izzy's little ditty, which at that point had a working title of "Patience," and I wrote a lyrical verse then that went, '"I sit here doing drugs/Reading a book about slugs/All I need is a little patience."

This horrible lyric never made it past my apartment front door, thank God. Axl came up with a great lyric, seemingly out of nowhere, that of course became the story and melody of that song. The whistle part at the beginning--a ballsy move by Axl--while seeming odd to some of our fans and critics alike when the record Lies was released, became a part of pop culture. The song just wouldn't be the song without it, right? This was always one of my favorite GN'R songs that we did live.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Some may view this as backtracking, and in a way I guess it is.  But I believe he began backtracking in the episode itself by clarifying that the end part of "Patience" alone, was similar to their demo.  Frank must've been getting bombarded with messages about his comments, so he tries to set the record straight.  I'd still like to hear their demo to see the similarity.

Hello Everyone,

The demo of "better off without you" i was talking about is an acoustic guitar version we did live at the oasis ballroom in 1985 that Geffen Records had on a 'live' cassette tape of a show we played. They did make some copies of it with labels on them and handed them out to people before we made our first album. If anyone can find one that would be awesome. I was not talking about the piano version that's floating around on a bootleg.

ALSO FOR THE RECORD: "Better off without you" is a song in "D" and it does the "D/F# to G chord change in it. This is also the same type of change that G~n~R used at the end of patience, and also the same change that John Lennon uses in "Imagine" ...I do not seriously feel that we wrote "Patience" in ANY WAY.

The song "Patience" is a great song that they wrote themselves, and it is only the end part that has any similar part to the guitar chords we used. I apologize for any controversy or dis-respect I may have projected in my joking around with eddie trunk about this.

Thanks, Frank Hannon

http://www.teslatheband.com/forums/show … php?t=3577

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Like Russ said, fair enough.

I think he may have been joking around and got a little ahead of himself when the "ripped off" comment.

I think he was bullshitting, and didn't realize how much press it'd get in the rock circles.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

In other news my album has an A Minor in it, Axl totally ripped me off with "This I Love" 16:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:

Board footer