You are not logged in. Please register or login.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

Re: VH1 Top 100 songs of the 90s-Guess who's missing??

NY Giants82 wrote:

This is more of a reflection of the person who created that list, than of anything GNR has done. NR not being on there, just shows how big of a joke that list is. Kriss Kross? Gimme a fucking break...

NY Giants82 wrote:

This is more of a reflection of the person who created that list, than of anything GNR has done. NR not being on there, just shows how big of a joke that list is. Kriss Kross? Gimme a fucking break...

HAHA Agreed, don't tell me this sold more copies in singles then NR. roll

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Backstreet Boys, Sir Mix A Lot & Britney's Oops should NOT be that high. I'm ok with TLC's Waterfalls & Whitney, those songs were big, and good. But the other 3 need to move down. Also, while Destiny's Child was big in the late 90's, I don't think "Say my Name" was that huge, Maybe I was jsut out of the loop by then.

Overall not a bad list, in general. Smashing Pumpkins is missing too though. I think either 'Today' or 1979 should have made it.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

there are some god-awful songs on that list 18

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
russtcb wrote:

The list was voted on by fans on the VH1 website. That to me is what makes James' point. If the fans made this list then it shows you where GNR stands in the average fans memory.

Wasn't this the vote that someone posted on ROV.com & we all went over and voted for NR?!  I remember this site. Hard to believe it isn't Top 100?! But like previous posters said, people must have forgotten alot about back then & GnR being big in the early 90's.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

I cannot believe NR didn't make that list  4

I know! How could they leave off No Rain?  Unless you meant a different NR...  Honestly though, no Blind Melon? That song was huge, or so I'm told.

Overall, eh, it's alright. Couple missing.

Smashing Pumpkins are one of the 5 biggest rock bands that came from the 90s and had their major works in that decade (Gish, Siamese Dream, Mellon Collie, Adore) so they got screwed. Either Today, 1979, Bullet With Butterfly Wings or Disarm should be there.

And AIC is poorly represented with Man In a Box, should've been No Excuses as far as airplay and popularity goes, or Down In a Hole or Rooster or Would? . Man In a Box was successful but not as much as some of their others, and it's a sub-par song imo.

Pearl Jam too high of course. Soundgarden is unfairly represented by one of the average-er tracks from that album, but it's what get played.

Would've liked to see NIN on there, their influence and sales were large enough to get mention, but unfortunately the singles weren't enough I guess. I almost thought Closer would make it in the 70s-80s of the list.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:

HAHA Agreed, don't tell me this sold more copies in singles then NR. roll

I'd bet my left nut that it did. That song was massive in the early 90's. I couldn't stand it, but millions of people loved it.

I know! How could they leave off No Rain?  Unless you meant a different NR...  Honestly though, no Blind Melon? That song was huge, or so I'm told.

I didn't even notice its absence until you mentioned it. Yeah, that song was big in 94. Not Black Hole Sun big, but pretty damn close. Should have made the list somewhere, but it really shows how much interesting music came out in the 90's for that song not to make it.

Smashing Pumpkins are one of the 5 biggest rock bands that came from the 90s and had their major works in that decade (Gish, Siamese Dream, Mellon Collie, Adore) so they got screwed. Either Today, 1979, Bullet With Butterfly Wings or Disarm should be there.

Yeah, Pumpkins were pretty big, but they weren't much of a singles band. Albums sold decent, but the singles didn't really take off.

I agree with the AIC choice. Sure, No Excuses was probably bigger, but Man in the Box was released as the grunge movement started, and alot of people think of that time when you mention AIC.

Pearl Jam is a bit high, but they were massive for about a two year period, and no one is gonna forget Ten.

I was also a bit surprised Closer didn't make it. Controversial video though, so that may have played a role in people not voting for it.

there are some god-awful songs on that list:nervous:

Some are cringe worthy, but every song on this list pretty much deserves a spot somewhere on it.

The list was voted on by fans on the VH1 website. That to me is what makes James' point. If the fans made this list then it shows you where GNR stands in the average fans memory.

Yeah, its not a good sign when the public starts ranking tons of one hit wonders over a band that had a six year run. Like I mentioned, the legacy and brand name is being diluted big time.

I would love to see their 101-200 rankings.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

They didn't have any doubles on the list, did they? If that was a rule, I'd like to see the list without that rule. I agree on wanting to see 101-200, or at least 101-150. And I disagree about the Pumpkins singles. Sure, they were more of a full album band, but the songs I mentioned, especially Today and 1979, were big (I assume) and are still played on the radio and occasionally 1979 is in a film or something.

Board footer