You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Re: Halloween 6 Producer's Cut...to be released!?

Gunslinger wrote:

December 11: HALLOWEEN: CURSE 'producer's cut' to appear?

Fango recently caught up with writer/producer Daniel Farrands, who has most recently won notice as co-scripter of the Jack Ketchum adaptation THE GIRL NEXT DOOR. However, as any self-respecting horror buff will know, Ferrands got his breakthrough penning the screenplay for the much-troubled sequel HALLOWEEN: THE CURSE OF MICHAEL MYERS (pictured), 1995's sixth installment in the long-running slasher series. The good news, Farrands reveals, is that the alternate 'producer's cut' of the much-criticized follow-up may finally see the (legal) light of day after a decade's worth of bootleg trading.

'It's going to be the subject of a conference call that I'm having with Miramax,' the writer tells Fango. 'I've finally gotten somebody's attention over there. I have been in touch with them over the years, and during the past month I've had e-mail exchanges with everyone from their home video marketing people to their legal affairs department. The long but sad answer is that first, no one could figure out who had the rights. The movies Dimension made at the time when they were funded by Disney have reverted back to Disney, so they own the sixth, seventh and eighth HALLOWEENs, and the Weinsteins no longer have the rights. But not only did Disney not know they had them, they did a cost analysis [once they were informed], looked at it and said, '˜We don't think it will make any money.'

'I told them everyone who had bought a bootleg would go back out and buy [an official release],' Farrands continues. 'We could do a two-disc version with the producer's cut and the theatrical version, commentaries, behind-the-scenes and everything. They said no, and I said, '˜Well, could you license it to a company such as Anchor Bay? They have done a wonderful job with the series.' But they said no again, and that was because they didn't want it competing with the bare-bones version they had in the marketplace.

'However, that DVD is now out of print. So I sent them dozens and dozens of websites and eBay pages, and I finally got their attention. So we are now going to have a discussion about it, and I hope I can convince them do something.'

Gunslinger

Gunslinger wrote:

People have been paying 50-60 bucks for a good copy of this for a decade on ebay and some fansites.  These guys have lost a small fortune not doing this sooner.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

'I told them everyone who had bought a bootleg would go back out and buy [an official release]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!! Is he fucking serious?? Did he say it with a straight face? This guy is just trying to squeeze out some coins from any sort of deal that would be made to get it released. That steaming turd isn't gonna make a buck. Its regarded by most Halloween fans as the biggest clusterfuck in film history, and the ten people who like it will watch the bootleg copies they already have until doomsday. They can never make back any money it would cost to manufacture and then distribute copies because there's NO demand.

No amount of deleted scenes, commentary,etc. makes this worthwhile for any company to touch. The only way it will ever be officially released is if it somehow gets added to a Halloween box set, and considering the rights issues this franchise apparently has, it'll never happen.

not only did Disney not know they had them, they did a cost analysis [once they were informed], looked at it and said, '˜We don't think it will make any money.'

Disney is right.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

yeah but they might get suckers like me to get it.

One i got into the halloween films a few years back i was obsessed to see everything, so i went and got an ebay edition at fuck knows what price for an almost unwatchable version. If it had been avaliable legit I definately would have picked it up....

Gunslinger

Gunslinger wrote:

Although I agree that H6 was a mess regardless of which version you watched the fact is LOTS of people over the past decade have bought this rare cut and it continously moves well.  Halloween forums, ebay, etc, have moved thousands over the years.  Now that Rob Zombie's Halloween reincarnation has got interest up again I think this dvd would do moderately well especially if it were packaged with the theatrical cut which has been deleted for some time.  Easy money in my opinion.

Board footer