You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

slashsfro wrote:

Friday the 13th (1980) uncut version--picked it up for cheap on Bluray a few weeks ago.  Wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised at how great the film was.  There was a good combination of gory kills and well developed tension throughout the film.  I liked the soundtrack as well.

Quadrophenia (1979)  Coming of age story.  I believe the time period is the late 1960s.  Whatever the case, I was totally immersed in the 2nd half of the film.  A really well made film.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Saw Iron Man 3 last week, and though it was good. I don't think any of these Iron Man's are better than the other, they all seem to have their own story, their own niche, and they're all lovable. I couldn't choose between any of them. I like them all.

The Avengers however is the best one of the bunch. Yes it's an ensemble picture, but so far it's the 'Dark Knight' of the bunch.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Axlin12 wrote:

Saw Iron Man 3 last week, and though it was good. I don't think any of these Iron Man's are better than the other, they all seem to have their own story, their own niche, and they're all lovable. I couldn't choose between any of them. I like them all.

The Avengers however is the best one of the bunch. Yes it's an ensemble picture, but so far it's the 'Dark Knight' of the bunch.

Oh yeah I can see that comparison. Going to be hard for Marvel Studios to top that flick.

Me_Wise_Magic

Saw Fast 6 the other day. A fun action film. Nothing more. I enjoyed it with my bro. Don't know why they need to make so many besides each film making good profit at the box office.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

'Untouchable'.

One of the best films I have ever seen!

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Just saw Lawless. I enjoyed it. Cool era and topic for a movie. Bootleggers are always a fun bunch. 16

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Me_Wise_Magic wrote:

Saw Fast 6 the other day. A fun action film. Nothing more. I enjoyed it with my bro. Don't know why they need to make so many besides each film making good profit at the box office.

The biggest reason is they get better and better. Fast Five was the best one they ever did. I personally thought 3 & 4 were pieces of turd. Tokyo Drift, ugh no, and Fast 4 was not the glorious "return" film I thought it'd be. I think the story was loaded with holes, and it was too gimmicky, relying on returning stars Diesel, Walker & Brewster to drive the interest in the film.

I loved the 2nd film, and thought it was the best of the bunch, until 5. I always thought the 1st was overrated personally. A good-to-average action film at best, but okay.

Haven't seen 6, but they definitely have caught a second-wind in this franchise with a more adult buddy-cop dynamic. The Fast & The Furious films have survived Tokyo Drift to become the "Lethal Weapon" franchise of their day.

I do think they need to start looking for their end with the films though. They played out the race car driving thing and converted it to heist films. Even with heist films, there's only so many stories there to do that.

Universal knows after Tokyo Drift, that people do NOT see these as a concept-action franchise. They go for Diesel & Walker in the same film, no different than Gibson & Glover. Furious Six is on track to earn MORE money than Fast Five. They keep earning that much, Uni will want to just keep making them until someone says no.

Eventually I think they're gonna have to get to a "Lethal Weapon 4" moment where everyone just says 'enough', and they give it a finality and a closure, and walk away on top.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

Quadrophenia (1979)  Coming of age story.  I believe the time period is the late 1960s.  Whatever the case, I was totally immersed in the 2nd half of the film.  A really well made film.

I saw it (or parts of it) a good while ago, recall liking it, actually. Need to revisit it one day.

Me_Wise_Magic

apex-twin wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

I saw it (or parts of it) a good while ago, recall liking it, actually. Need to revisit it one day.

I want to purchase the album very soon. I've heard a couple songs and I dug it. It's referred to one of the Who's best.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:
Me_Wise_Magic wrote:

The biggest reason is they get better and better.

One of the strangest series life I've seen. The first film was a typical sleeper hit. Relatively unknown actors on a small budget ending up as an action gem. Then the inevitable sequel sucks, the third one I heard so little about I thought the series was dead for sure. Then they bring back Diesel for the fourth, ok this is gotta be the last right? But no, that one was a big enough hit to up the budget for the fifth movie which was a big hit, and now they're making the SIXTH movie on what? 150 million budget? Strange enough in itself, but even stranger considering most of the actors are washed up or getting close to it and the films ain't that great either. Paul Walker must feel like the luckiest guy on the planet.

Board footer