You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

slashsfro wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Event Horizon - Haven't seen it in years. It has not aged well at all.

Any film though from the late 90's that decided to open with the words "The moon was colonized in 2015" obviously did not think things through. The CGI in this is TV show bad by today, but some members of that cast including Sam Neil and the actors who were always playing side roles in the other Hollywood blockbusters at the time must have been paid more than the effects budget for this film.

Interesting.  I watched this a while back and came away happy.  I had never seen the film and expected something awful.  I don't think it is great or genre changing but it kept me entertained.

Another 90s Sci Fi (not a fan of the genre) film that I watched that impressed me was Gattaca.  That one was actually pretty good.

johndivney wrote:

I'd rather watch Event Horizon than Once Upon a Time in America! 

Atari's been on a bit of a Netflix kick lately?? The selection over here in the UK is so fucking shit!

Bit harsh on Sam Neil too I thought!

AtariLegend wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Atari's been on a bit of a Netflix kick lately??

How'd you guess? tongue

johndivney wrote:

I'd rather watch Event Horizon than Once Upon a Time in America!

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Atari's been on a bit of a Netflix kick lately?? The selection over here in the UK is so fucking shit!

Yeah, in the US too the DVD by mail has become sparse. Streaming has decent smaller stuff like originals & documentaries.  It's nice to not wait 2 days for them, just stream it. But they don't have bigger, new movies.  Only problem is DVDs no longer seem to either.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

God I loved Netflix back in 06-07. Watched so many foreign horror films I never would've watched without their existence.

In a couple years the DVD option wont even exist. Enjoy it while it lasts. The future is streaming and clouds. Physical products are having their coffins nailed shut.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

In a couple years the DVD option wont even exist. Enjoy it while it lasts. The future is streaming and clouds. Physical products are having their coffins nailed shut.

They'll have to ply them from my cold, dead hands!

johndivney wrote:

i for one totally embrace the cloud & digital distribution.
the amount of crap i have acquired over the years totally bums me out. rooms & roofspaces (attics is what theyre called across the pond) just full of stuff. i am a hoarder & p disorganised. so many towers of cd's/dvd's/blu-rays it's preposterous.

the only thing i really miss from physical copies is boxart & specifically manuals for videogames. but they were a dying art long before the advent of the cloud/digital distribution.
obv there's only factors such as resale value, expense, bandwidth n shit.. but yea, i prefer to have my head in the cloud most definitely. it's the only place to be. better than tip-toeing thru perilious paths of stacks of stuff that could topple any moment.

AtariLegend wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

They'll have to ply them from my cold, dead hands!

Here too 22.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

God I loved Netflix back in 06-07. Watched so many foreign horror films I never would've watched without their existence.

They are introducing Ultra 4K Blurays into the market pretty soon.  I don't think the physical products are going anywhere.  DVD is in trouble though since their sales were way down.

Physical products will still be around in a few years.  There is enough of a financial incentive for studios to keep on producing them.  And it really annoys me how Netflix takes stuff off its streaming library randomly.

johndivney wrote:

i for one totally embrace the cloud & digital distribution.
the amount of crap i have acquired over the years totally bums me out. rooms & roofspaces (attics is what theyre called across the pond) just full of stuff. i am a hoarder & p disorganised. so many towers of cd's/dvd's/blu-rays it's preposterous.

the only thing i really miss from physical copies is boxart & specifically manuals for videogames. but they were a dying art long before the advent of the cloud/digital distribution.
obv there's only factors such as resale value, expense, bandwidth n shit.. but yea, i prefer to have my head in the cloud most definitely. it's the only place to be. better than tip-toeing thru perilious paths of stacks of stuff that could topple any moment.

LOL, this sounds just like me.  It takes me likes 10-15 minutes to dig through the pile to find the movie I want. But still there is something comforting about being able to pop in a disc and just watch a movie whenever I really want.  Sadly, I'd buy less movies if they weren't so fucking cheap!  I picked up the entire series of the Tudors for $6 the other week.

AtariLegend wrote:

Cavalry - it was fairly good.  A bit overhyped though looking back on the reviews. For some reason I expected a deeper film.

Board footer