You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

James wrote:

The Desperate Hour - Garbage...start to finish. Worst Naomi Watts movie I've ever watched and I'm surprised she even signed up for this.

Vice - Incredible. Both Bale and Rockwell deserved Golden Globes and Oscars for their portrayals of Cheney and Bush....only Bale won the Golden Globe... Rockwell nothing.

At the least the film got some nominations.

I'd love to see Rockwell star in a movie about Bush.

James

James wrote:

Did you guys see the reviews for Heat 2?

It sounds really good.

https://www.rogerebert.com/features/hea … -mann-film

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Just got back from theater...watch Maverick

Was pretty good actually, tho the end was a bit of a stretch

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

It’s a shame we’ll never get to see HEAT 2, unless they recast it.

James

James wrote:

Dark Blood - The unfinished film River Phoenix was working on when he died... finally got a release years ago.

It should've stayed in the vault. After just a few minutes I could understand why Rivers family said they would not support it in any way.

Can you imagine an unfinished, half baked B movie exclusive to Showtime or Cinemax in the early 90s? That's this film. Where there's missing scenes, the director narrates the story.

God only knows why he signed up for it. Jesus. He looks really bummed out..and his face has that sunken in look that Weiland got in the years before his death. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he needed the money because of massive drug use and having to singlehandedly take care of his entire family.

The Mosquito Coast - This was pretty good...and I didn't remember anything that happened. Martha Plimpton is in this but she's only got a couple scenes. River probably had her do it just so they could be together during filming.

I read where this was Harrison Ford's only bomb.

James

James wrote:

Punchline - Hanks and Field comedy where they're stand up comedians.

It was ok...but this is one of those movies where they needed to either lean more into the comedy(most of the jokes aren't funny) or lean heavy into the drama. This middle ground it straddles doesn't really work.

One way to improve it would've been Hanks and Field having a brief fling.  He's infatuated with her(Why?!?) but it doesn't go anywhere...she's having marriage problems with Goodman. There's never really anything at stake for these characters...other than that contest.

The end blows and is a massive cop out. They obviously didn't know how to end it or who should win the contest...so they figure out a way for both to win!

Bullshit.

Class Action - This was really good....a court drama with Gene Hackman and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio as father-daughter lawyers...on opposing sides. This is at the tail end of that period when Mastrantonio was headed towards the A list. She puts in a great performance here.

If you've never watched this ... definitely put it on your list.

I miss movies like this.

I started watching the River Phoenix movie Dogfight but I fell asleep. I'll watch it tonight.

James

James wrote:

Fried Green Tomatoes - Loved it. This is another type of movie I miss. I don't even know who they could get for such films in today's world...and could they even hold a candle to this?

Only issue is I didn't remember the story being this slow paced...and I would've swore there was a lesbian angle to this. My memory is probably mixing it up with another film from the time (Boys on the Side?).

God I loved Mary Louise Parker.

Consenting Adults - This is one of those movies I haven't watched since renting it on VHS. I only watched it for Mastrantonio.

How did they fuck this up? A damn good director, great cast....

They do a good job setting up the story...and then it veers into B movie territory.

I almost turned it off right after the second murder. They're standing there with cops and no one acknowledges the elephant in the room....why on Earth is he now being accused of killing the same woman twice?  Doesn't this prove he's innocent?!? The flimsy story falls apart at that point. The story meant nothing to me after this...I just wanted it over. I also hated how there's conveniently a baseball bat at each location to kill someone with. Gimme a break.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

Punchline - Hanks and Field comedy where they're stand up comedians.

I watched this once EONS ago, must have been very early 90s or late 80s.  I didn't find it memorable then either.

Barcelona; 1994 film w/pre breakout Mira Sorvino.  I enjoyed this a lot more this time around, probably because I'm more familar with the director tendencies now.  I love the shots of 90s Barcelona too (film is set in the 80s but whatever).

The Villaness Korean action film rip off of Nikita/Point of No Return.  Watch it for the first ten 10 mins where it sort of resembles a video game.  Goes downhill from there for me.  The plot elements are familiar especially if you've seen one of the earlier two films.  Tedious to get through as I kept on dozing off

Il Mare:  Korean film w/an Italian name.  This was frustrating to watch.  It's well shot and has a nice kind of "Sleepless in Seattle" vibe.  But there's a sci fi element that isn't used to it's fullest potential.  Instead it goes full romance and I found it dull especially in the second half as I kept on waiting for something interesting to happen.  The ending is predictable as hell too.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Just got back from theater...watch Maverick

Was pretty good actually, tho the end was a bit of a stretch

I loved it. It delivered.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

It’s a shame we’ll never get to see HEAT 2, unless they recast it.

I heard Heat 2 is coming.

Board footer