You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

This is funny, but I think we’re not too far out from seeing dead celebrities starring in new films

It'll happen this decade.

I'm looking forward to it...it might lead to another golden age. It opens up so many possibilities....

Prequels/sequels to iconic films

Resurrecting franchises

All star casts spanning the history of Hollywood

Instead of paying 40 million to someone like Scarlett Johansen, pay 5-10 million to Audrey Hepburn's estate.

Movie star salaries will collapse.

The tech would also lead to the creation of fictitious celebs/actors. We're ready for this...our culture already worships talentless garbage on social media. Drown the influencer market in fake influencers.

Downsides to this tech but not when it comes to Hollywood.

It's the fact that Neeson is basically wasting his talent doing basically the same damn role for the last 10-15 years.  Yeah, it's an easy paycheck.  But man he's been the butt line of jokes.  Maybe this should have bombed so he would taken more interesting roles.

I always think of Schindler's List when I hear about him...his peak. Robbed of an Oscar...so was Fiennes.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

I always think of Schindler's List when I hear about him...his peak. Robbed of an Oscar...so was Fiennes.

I had to look up what the hell these guys lost to.  Tom Hanks in Philadelphia won Best Actor.  It was an "Oscar Bait" role for Hanks.  But I remember nothing of the FILM itself outisde of the Springsteen song that won an Oscar, I think.  The film was rather dull (to me) from the one time I saw it.

Fiennes lost to Tommy Lee Jones in the Fugitive.  It's not exactly the toughest of roles to pull off for Jones and he does go over the top a little. I'd say Fiennes was probably robbed more. I mean Jones was fine it's just not one of those high degree of difficulty roles.  Honestly, I think Malkovich was better In the Line of Fire (like Fiennes, nominated but lost out to Jones).

James

James wrote:

Yeah..Jones was playing Jones. He does it well ...but Oscar worthy? Not really. It might be one of those situations where he wins as payback for not winning years earlier. I hate the politics of the Oscars. It's why Pacino won for Scent of A Woman.

Fiennes put in one of the best performances of the decade. You couldn't play a sadistic Nazi better than he did. His eyes really sell it.

I like that story about the surviving Schindler Jews going to the set and when they saw Fiennes in character, they started shaking because it so closely resembled the real Goth.

To really see a contrast, watch this and then Fiennes in Quiz Show.

Neeson doesn't have a lot of range but the performance was still impressive. He was unlucky going up against Hanks who wasn't going to lose under any circumstances. The moment I saw Forrest Gump a year later, I knew that was winning no matter who was in the running.

I'm still surprised that the Academy didn't give him an unprecedented "3peat" with Apollo 13. I guess even they knew how ridiculous it would be.

I had a Tubi marathon the past couple nights.....

Roxanne - Ugh. I liked this when I was a kid but it's not very good....and doesn't deserve its high rating(88%).

The nose jokes wear thin quickly and it runs in place for 90% of the film while he writes letters for the fellow fireman that she really likes. They don't get together until the very end. That should've been resolved in the second act and the rest of the film is them trying to build a relationship.

I barely made it til the end.

Uptown Girls - Holy shit...is this a stinker. I only watched it for Brittany Murphy. This is a really weird movie in the fact it is obviously aimed towards kids/teens but yet every character... including Dakota Fanning...is a miserable piece of shit and there's nobody to relate to or cheer for. The basic story itself....rich girl loses all her money and has to work as a nanny...is ok but they just kill it from jump street.

I also barely made it through this one.

Metro - Eddie Murphy and Rapaport do not make a good team. Zero chemistry and Murphy takes up most of the scenes solo. Hard to do a buddy cop film when the other guy has so little to work with.

Inception - This still holds up. Amazing FX. Still don't like the ending though.

The Program - This had so much more potential. Too generic with all the football cliches to go with it. It also suffers from what I hate the most about various sports movies...

When the movie revolves around making it to a championship/bowl game, show them getting to the game!! It's all so pointless when they don't. It shows how little they actually cared about telling the story.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I watched half of Amazon’s Lord Of The Rings and shut it off. Terrible.

There’s really no way to properly say how bad it is.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

Yeah..Jones was playing Jones. He does it well ...but Oscar worthy? Not really. It might be one of those situations where he wins as payback for not winning years earlier. I hate the politics of the Oscars. It's why Pacino won for Scent of A Woman.

Fiennes put in one of the best performances of the decade. You couldn't play a sadistic Nazi better than he did. His eyes really sell it.

I like that story about the surviving Schindler Jews going to the set and when they saw Fiennes in character, they started shaking because it so closely resembled the real Goth.

To really see a contrast, watch this and then Fiennes in Quiz Show.

Neeson doesn't have a lot of range but the performance was still impressive. He was unlucky going up against Hanks who wasn't going to lose under any circumstances. The moment I saw Forrest Gump a year later, I knew that was winning no matter who was in the running.

I'm still surprised that the Academy didn't give him an unprecedented "3peat" with Apollo 13. I guess even they knew how ridiculous it would be.

I need to rewatch Schindler's List.  I remember being quite moved when I saw it in the 90s.  Of all the 90s films that were super over,  I've found that Forrest Gump doesn't really hold up.  I watched it a few years ago and just found it totally annoying and ridiculous.  This is not really a shot on Hanks who is a fine actor and still an A-lister now in the 2020s.  It's very hard to stay on top in Hollywood for that long.

Aside from the usual Fiennes roles that everyone seems to know, Strange Days that was a 90s film was a really good Fiennes (and sci fi movie).

James wrote:

Metro - Eddie Murphy and Rapaport do not make a good team. Zero chemistry and Murphy takes up most of the scenes solo. Hard to do a buddy cop film when the other guy has so little to work with.

Inception - This still holds up. Amazing FX. Still don't like the ending though.

The problem with Rappaport is he is a supporting actor.  Every time I see him elevated in something higher to that it fails.  I had a problem with the end of Inception too but it's a good film.

Nocturama.  This ones really weird.  A bunch of Parisian kids plan out a bunch of bombings  and hide out in a shopping mall afterwards.  Of the two parts , the bombing part/planning is the better half.  When they head to the mall, it stops the momentum for a bit.  I just find it hard to connect the consumer "aspect" to what I just watched.  It doesn't totally derail the film.   But watching it, you just realize what morons most of the characters are and how pointless the acts of terrorism were.  My fav part is when someone mentions their acts barely got mentioned on facebook.  Still I did enjoy this film and the beginning and end of this film where there is almost zero diaglogue is very intense and interesting.

Savage Three.  some 70s Italian crime film.  This one's too much of a downer for me and it isn't as good as the other's I've seen .  I like the cop that tries to solve the crimes but it is just depressing watching people commit crimes for the "hell of it"

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
misterID wrote:

I watched half of Amazon’s Lord Of The Rings and shut it off. Terrible.

There’s really no way to properly say how bad it is.

It's boring. The dialogue is pretentious and tedious, telling us very little of interest. Acting is cheap across the board. Action wise almost nothing happens. The intro which is a copy of FOTR has some action, and they slay a cave troll. Or rather SHE slays a cave troll while the male elves look on ineptly. Lots of that too.

Galadriel has two faces. Angry and not-angry, which is really more of a "barely keeping it together" thing.

In one scene, shellshocked from all her tours to Nam, she fumbles a holy ritual as she refuses to let go of her knife. I wouldn't be surprised if she was actually based on Rambo. The refusing to let go, scarred for life, always ready for battle, it's all there.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I seriously thought it was like Tomb Raider written by some talentless zoomers who checked all the diversity boxes.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

The scene at the end the are apparently going to the undying lands.

I thought they all got killed...great moviemaking.

James

James wrote:

I need to add Strange Days to my list. Haven't watched it since then. I'd like to watch it again as a time capsule...set in a chaotic 2000 yet 2000 wound up being almost identical to the year the movie was filmed in.

I noticed that the Oceans trilogy is on Tubi. Haven't watched 11 since DirecTV PPV. Barely remember it

Oceans 11 - This is pretty good... great plot, amazing cast, it moves along at a quick pace. Only one problem.... they're having waaaay too much fun filming this. Every scene contains either laughing, smiling, or a shit eating grin. It's like winking at the audience...it takes me out of the story.

I know it's a light hearted film but they go overboard. I bet the set was a 24/7 party for these people.

Oceans 12 - This is a stinker. The audience is still being winked at every few minutes...but this time the plot sucks...and so does the ending.

I rolled my eyes when Julia Roberts character has to impersonate Julia Roberts.  So unnecessary. I've always hated this concept... going back to the Honeymooners when Ralph and Ed are looking for Jackie Gleason and Art Carney or Fred Sanford and Redd Foxx on Sanford and Son.

They're not even trying at that point. If they don't really care, why should we?

I might watch 13 tonight. That movie Burial I've been looking forward to for a couple months just hit one of those movie sites I watch. This will probably be my double feature.

Anyone hear about this?

James

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

I seriously thought it was like Tomb Raider written by some talentless zoomers who checked all the diversity boxes.

This shit appears to be on the verge of dominating the platform. The trailers for the remakes of A League of Their Own and Interview with the Vampire are atrocious.

Board footer