You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

misterID wrote:

The Interview With The Vampire one is just atrocious. They’re not even going to make Louis a plantation owner for sensitivity reasons. They blew it right there, because every decision you make is now through the lens of being inoffensive. Which isn’t great for debouched vampires.

I’m actually glad the original with Cruise was a standalone and they didn’t make the LeStat vampire. I don’t know how you make a rock star vampire not ridiculous.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

Oceans 11 - This is pretty good... great plot, amazing cast, it moves along at a quick pace. Only one problem.... they're having waaaay too much fun filming this. Every scene contains either laughing, smiling, or a shit eating grin. It's like winking at the audience...it takes me out of the story.

I know it's a light hearted film but they go overboard. I bet the set was a 24/7 party for these people.

Oceans 12 - This is a stinker. The audience is still being winked at every few minutes...but this time the plot sucks...and so does the ending.

I rolled my eyes when Julia Roberts character has to impersonate Julia Roberts.  So unnecessary. I've always hated this concept... going back to the Honeymooners when Ralph and Ed are looking for Jackie Gleason and Art Carney or Fred Sanford and Redd Foxx on Sanford and Son.

They're not even trying at that point. If they don't really care, why should we?

I might watch 13 tonight. That movie Burial I've been looking forward to for a couple months just hit one of those movie sites I watch. This will probably be my double feature.

I think 13 might have been my favorite one.  It's less light hearted and has a little grit in it and makes the stakes higher.  I'd say you probably enjoy it.  Spot on criticism of 12 and 11.  I hate heist films that seem too easy or just don't take it seriously enough, if you've ever seen Now You See Me, it's the same concept.

Oh on 12, yeah I HATED that Roberts part near the end.  I thought it was a mediocre sequel up to that point but the ending there just dumped it into "I will never watch this shit ever again" status.

I generally dislike remakes to begin with UNLESS there is a director I like who is at the helm.  Or it's just a totally different concept from the original film.  About the only remake I'm interested in is John Woo remaking (his own film) The Killer.

Bird on A Wire.  I'm pretty sure I saw this in the early 90s.  Mel is in top form here and continues his string of hits.  Goldie Hawn plays her usual nervous, energetic perona well here.  Yes, it's predicatable and lags a little in the second half but it's fun.  I wish they would have used the bad guys more (esp David Carradine) in the film.  Oh, if they wanted to turn this into one of those love triangle comedy films they could have, as I thought Joan Severence (Rachel) had almost as good chemistry with Gibson in her brief scenes together.

Three Thousand Years of Longing.  I'm not sure what to think about this one.  I was reading some criticism about this prior to watching...and I think I agree that the darker aspects of this film are the best.  And that the director made a mistake in veering it towards another direction in the last section.  Oh, this is beautfully filmed.  I have no idea how this is marketed as but it's closer to 1001 Arabian Nights than Aladdin.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Another thing about 12 I hated is the selection of A list actresses they picked. Roberts does make sense I suppose as they all knew her... specifically Pitt and Clooney. Having said that....it should've been an A lister from the next gen .. slightly younger. There's a scene where Damon is watching her and when he sees her, tells Clooney that the best part of his day is watching her walk down the stairs.

She's attractive obviously....but not to that extent... especially at that age. The role should've went to an early 2000s A lister...maybe Hudson or Blanchett.

Catherine Zeta Jones is the other head scratcher. She sticks out among the group. She's not very convincing in the role neither.

I never understood the fascination. She's in Zorro and then hooks up with Michael Douglas...so this means she gets a permanent spot on the A list?!?  18

Out of the main list of late 90s-early 00s A listers, she's probably the least deserving.

Oceans 13 - Yeah this one does the franchise justice. When I saw it had Pacino in it, I worried he would just ham it up as the villian as would be expected in this type of situation. In a shocking move, he plays it straight.

It was a smart move leaving the actresses out of the story. I suppose they could have added a new female character but I think they just wanted to wrap it up at this point.

I'm now tempted to watch Oceans 8. I remember being intrigued by this a few years ago... mainly for Blanchett and Carter...but lost interest when it came out the Kardashians would have small roles.

The Bone Collector -  A ridiculous story but the cast keeps it afloat until the climax.

It's too absurd. Why not just make Jolie a rookie detective instead of a young traffic cop who lucks into getting involved in the case? She goes from being a traffic cop to essentially becoming John Douglas.

All sorts of crazy clues they have to put together to try to solve it. They find out the killer had started killing much earlier but no one previously had connected the dots. This means new clues...but minutes later this is already being glossed over! At one point Denzel says something like "Ok, we've got three murders....". No...you've got a bunch more that were added but due to a shit script and probably timing issues, we'll ignore them so Queen Latifa can help you two solve the puzzle!

The reveal of who the killer is....ugh. I rolled my eyes.

Imperium - How did this fly under the radar?!? That Harry Potter kid and Toni Collette as FBI agents and he goes undercover to infiltrate a group of white supremacists.

I had no idea that kid had transitioned into a real actor. He's got potential that's for sure.

This film deserved a couple Oscar noms.

James

James wrote:

This doesn't really warrant its own thread so I'll just mention it here....

I just found out that the actress/producer/director Olivia Wilde is going to direct an upcoming movie about Kerri Strug and the "Magnificent Seven" called Perfect..... about the 1996 women's gymnastics team who won the Gold at the 96 Olympics.

This movie is 20 years overdue. I actually got excited for a moment...and then I clicked on its IMDB page for info.

Thomasin McKenzie...an actress I remember from the movie Leave No Trace a few years ago...will play Kerri Strug. I realize Hollywood can sometimes do wonders in the makeup department...but she looks nothing like Kerri Strug. Not even in the same ballpark.

If that wasn't bad enough...I laughed at the other actress hired so far.

Dominique Moceanu....the Romanian American gymnast...will be played by....

McKenna Grace! hmm

How does that even compute?

McKenna Grace is a good actress in the few things I've seen her in. That doesn't mean a blonde actress with a girl next door vibe should play a dark haired Romanian.

Both are red flags on how this film will be approached. It looks like they're aiming for an all star cast to play the girls and that will be its main selling point.

misterID wrote:

The Interview With The Vampire one is just atrocious. They’re not even going to make Louis a plantation owner for sensitivity reasons. They blew it right there, because every decision you make is now through the lens of being inoffensive. Which isn’t great for debouched vampires.

Yeah...there's major problems with this phenomenon that everyone simply glosses over for various reasons. At some point it will have to be acknowledged.

Also...historians are going to look back on this era as the disaster it really is.

To a certain extent, League is in a worse position than Vampire. Both absurd but in the case of League, it's based on reality. To pull such nonsense in this film and others, you have to retcon the world into a Woketopia and create a story in this alternate timeline. It's essentially turning nonfiction into fiction.

As far as Vampire goes...I know she publicly stated she was in support, but I'd love to have known her real "off the record" opinion of what they were doing to this story before she died.

Another thing I can't stand about the Woke madness is how you're not allowed to offer any genuine criticism. Articles, reviews, and social media platforms get flooded with attempts to kill off any criticism or "haters" by blaming racism, transphobia, sexism, or "white fragility" for any negativity directed at this nonsense.

It shows how flimsy and fragile this movement really is.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Anne actually really liked Vampire. If you remember, she went on a campaign denouncing the film because Cruise was cast. The director begged her to watch an early cut and she refused. He then made an early VHS copy and sent it to her, which was unheard of back then, and she watched it. She then apologized because she was so blown away by it. I actually had a VHS tape where it starts with a message from her doing a complete mea culpa and praised Cruise.

misterID

misterID wrote:

I’ve only seen one Ocean’s film snd thought it was ridiculous. I’m not a Clooney fan outside Oh, Brother, so that probably didn’t help.

James

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

I’ve only seen one Ocean’s film snd thought it was ridiculous. I’m not a Clooney fan outside Oh, Brother, so that probably didn’t help.

I'm also not a fan. He was always in the category with certain actors like ...

Richard Gere
Ben Affleck
Annette Benning
Will Smith
Scarlett Johansen
Beyonce
Jared Leto
Colin Farrell
Pierce Brosnan

Etc

Where my dislike is so strong that my chances of watching a film drop off if I find out they are in it.

With Clooney, first movie I found years ago where I could stomach watching him was Syriana. He's also tolerable in Oceans.

I might look up his filmography later and see if there's anything decent I missed.

Clooney is also undeserving of his A list status IMO. He never really should've rose above the level he was at in the 90s(From Roseanne to ER).

I thought he was ok here. If I was able to warm up a bit to Affleck, anything is possible.

Damon skates on the edge of this category. I still don't like him but I can tolerate him in certain films(The Martian, Saving Private Ryan, Oceans, Interstellar).

Edit

Anne/Vampire

I was referring to her real thoughts on the remake...but yeah that's a good point on how her stance changed later on.

I should add that to my list of films to watch. Haven't watched it since the VHS days. In fact, last time I watched it I'm pretty sure it's when I got like 6 VHS tapes through Columbia House and Vampire was one of them.

On top of Pitt and Cruise, this is what put Kirsten Dunst on the map. I'd like to see if that performance still holds up. There were quite a few really good child actor performances that decade.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

Catherine Zeta Jones is the other head scratcher. She sticks out among the group. She's not very convincing in the role neither.

I never understood the fascination. She's in Zorro and then hooks up with Michael Douglas...so this means she gets a permanent spot on the A list?!?  18

Out of the main list of late 90s-early 00s A listers, she's probably the least deserving.

This is just conjecture and rumors but I read where she was doing Connery and that's why she got the break in Entrapement.  That and the Douglas marriage kept her at A list for a few years until she had mental issues, bipolar I think.

James wrote:

Another thing I can't stand about the Woke madness is how you're not allowed to offer any genuine criticism. Articles, reviews, and social media platforms get flooded with attempts to kill off any criticism or "haters" by blaming racism, transphobia, sexism, or "white fragility" for any negativity directed at this nonsense.

It shows how flimsy and fragile this movement really is.

I'm curious how this goes.  I saw this awful movie preview yesterday.  It was for the gay/trans movie called Bros.  I'm objecting to it not because any of the trans, gay, woke nonsense, but it just looked a damn awful film whose jokes I didn't find funny at all.  Pretty sure Im not the only person who thought this film preview was awful.  I hope people are able to raise objections to this film (or any other film) based on the film itslef.

I don't actually mind Clooney.  I think he's miscast a little as this classic leading man type when he is kind of a smug asshole in most of his films.  I think he is an A listeer.  But I don't think his roles or rep matches what he actually is as an actor which I'm not sure makes any sense at all.

I find Matt Damon really boring though.  I think the Departed may have been the only thing I liked.  I remember watching The Talented Mr. Ripley and watching Jude Law act in circles all around Damon and wondering why the hell Law wasn't cast as Ripley. I too can stand Damon in Private Ryan but that's probably because he isn't in the movie that long.  I think Affleck is probably the worse actor of the two but I can tolerate him more than Damon.

James

James wrote:

I read where she was doing Connery and that's why she got the break in Entrapement

I believe it.

I had forgot about that movie. I was trying to remember when I first saw her and my mind went to Zorro.

Elvis - I was really surprised by how good this was. I only picked it because Olivia Dejonge is in it...and I'll be pulling for her to get a nomination during Oscar season.

The guy who played Elvis is guaranteed a nomination.

Hanks is probably getting one as well.

There's one thing that really bugged me and only in today's culture would this even happen....

This movie is set during the 50s-70s...so why in the fuck do they play a couple modern rap songs during a few scenes?!? It doesn't make any sense. All it does is take me out of the story. It doesn't last very long but it shouldn't be in the movie period.

Brewster's Millions - Hadn't watched this in decades. I liked it... especially the first half...but it really starts dragging as it goes to the finish line. They kinda rush that ending...we don't even get to see him tell Candy about the 300 million.

Candy pretty much steals the film out from under Pryor. I liked them as a combo...too bad they never worked together again.

misterID

misterID wrote:

That’s Baz’s style. He used Jay Z in The Great Gatsby and it worked. Moulin Rouge was a whole period musical with modern songs. Glad to hear Elvis getting a good review.

Board footer