You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

Spider-Man No Way Home. Really great. Not going to spoil it but the surprise is pretty wonderful. It should have come much earlier and used far more deeper in the plot. This, Logan and Deadpool are the only MARVEL films I like. I’m really surprised how good the Spider-Man series has been.

Wow, I need to check it out.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Old - This would've been a killer Twilight Zone or Outer Limits. It starts out pretty good, chugs along nicely and at a decent pace, but the more you learn about what's causing it, the less interesting it is.

While I usually prefer proper endings, this type of film would work better without one.

He based this movie on a book..I checked after watching it...and the book leaves it open.

Smart.

The Book of Eli - Loved it. Put this one off for awhile but since I'm running out of Denzel movies, decided to watch it. I would've liked a more detailed explanation on how the world ended though.

The Dead Pool - A big dose of nostalgia watching this. I saw this at the drive in back in 88.

This wasn't worthy of being the final Dirty Harry film. He should've done one more in 90-91 instead of that crap cop movie with Charlie Sheen.

Cape Fear - Loved it. Hadn't watched in 20-25 years. Other than De Niro having way too much fun playing a psycho, the cast was perfect. Juliette Lewis should've won Best Supporting Actress. She's probably the highlight. Lost to Mercedes Ruehl in Fisher King for fucks sake.

I had no idea Drew Barrymore auditioned for Juliette's role but blew the audition. So did Reese Witherspoon.

Both De Niro and Scorsese wanted Harrison Ford to do the film...begged him...but he declined.

Also learned Spielberg was supposed to direct this and Scorsese Schindler's List but they did a switcheroo at the last minute.

Imagine that alternate timeline....

Edit

One more thing...

It was one of those movies where I was blown away by how young everyone looked...even Nolte.

Juliette Lewis practically looks like a kid...yet she's already been dating Pitt for like 2 years at that point.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

That was a great film. Loved how Marty used Patience also.

James

James wrote:

The Turning - Had a good atmosphere and a couple creepy moments but they ruined the story and that ending is pure shit.

The Hand That Rocks the Cradle - Hadn't watched this since the early 90s. It's still pretty good but I don't like how the story is spoonfed to you to such an extent. It was a mistake IMO to reveal that De Mornay is the doctors widow so early on.

The Shining - Such a twisted mind fuck. This is one of the very few horror films that are better with age and you see it for what it is.

James

James wrote:

I had forgot to mention how after watching The Shining, I fell into a rabbit hole. Jack reading the Playgirl blew my mind and I googled it....wound up on a site going into the abuse angle I've talked about before.

http://www.collativelearning.com/the%20shining.html

That site goes way overboard on certain things but I fully agree on the dysfunction, alcoholism, and sexual/physical abuse aspects of his site.

Alive - One of my favorites from the 90s. I wouldn't mind a remake of this film. While it's a classic, it does have room for improvement.

I need to watch the foreign film from the 70s that tackles this story.

Morgan - I love this. This is the film where I discovered Anya Taylor Joy.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Nightbreed
American Werewolf in London
The Northman
Poltergeist 2
Creepshow

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I watched Morbius recently. It was quite terrible. Shame, because there is a good premise for a story there

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Also watched In The Line of Fire with Clint Eastwood. I hadn’t seen it in years, but it’s aged pretty well and kept me interested from the get go. Only odd part of the movie is placing Renee Russo as his love interest when he’s like 50 years older than her… gross! lol

John Malkovich is the perfect villain.

misterID

misterID wrote:

It was originally supposed to star Harrison Ford so the casting makes a little more sense in that regard

James

James wrote:

Red Dragon -  This is just an inferior retread of Lambs. Only thing I liked about it is Fiennes as the killer. Really creepy and he goes after families but they drop this  mid-film while he focuses on the blind woman who likes him.

Board footer