You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

Red Dragon -  This is just an inferior retread of Lambs. Only thing I liked about it is Fiennes as the killer. Really creepy and he goes after families but they drop this  mid-film while he focuses on the blind woman who likes him.

This is the one with Norton, right?  I thought it was too long and really veered into generic thriller mode halfway through and just became another mystery/thriller movie.  Outside of the first two Hannibal films (Manhunter and Silence), most of em are pretty interchangable/mediocre.  The TV series is better than some of the movies.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah....Norton in the Clarice role.

It really does switch gears. I bet a rewrite happened while filming. Norton was famous for having issues with writers/directors on set.

The whole thing is pretty elaborate with the murders and crime scenes... trying to figure out the method to the madness.

Like you said, it hits generic mode and we get the Lecter-Clarice retread, the murder story fizzles out, and then the killer goes after Norton and his family...a mistake IMO.

It was also weird with Keitel as Jack Crawford.

This is probably the film they should've done after Lambs. It would've allowed all involved to have another hit while taking a rain check on the Jodie Foster issue.

The world deserved a real follow-up to Lambs.

I should watch Manhunter...haven't watched it in decades. I know it was a remake of this but other than that, don't remember it.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I fucking love Manhunter.

Red Dragon had a shitty generic director. They should have gotten Cronenberg or Neil Jordan.

There is a really great story waiting to be told in this franchise of Will Graham and Ardelia Mapp (Starling’s black friend) tracking down Lecter and Clarice after Hannibal. The book version.

James

James wrote:

A movie with Starling and Lecter as Bonnie and Clyde?!?

I'll pass.  19

I don't understand how anyone...much less the actual author... thought it was a good idea to take the story in that direction.

Polytechnique - A movie about the college shooting in Canada back in 1989. They did a good job with it. Almost everything is that specific day. They don't go into the killers motivation. We just know he hates women.

Black Rock - I had a vague feeling I had watched this before. I watched it anyways.

It's garbage. The acting sucks and that script is pure shit.

They're former friends getting together for a camping trip to Black Rock. We quickly find out one of them fucked the others boyfriend.

We are then forced to watch them argue about it and the supposed innocent one...now married...refers to her friend as a slut, homewrecker, whatever.....and then the nanosecond a group of guys show up at their camping spot, the married saint essentially morphs into a drunk nymphomaniac who does nothing but talk about how much she wants to fuck. All of this crap goes against everything we had just previously heard from this character.

I almost turned it off and wish I had.

Something goes wrong, and the guys go after them. They're worse actors than the girls.

There's a scene that made me want to scream. The girls are crawling on the beach trying to get away and they have to be quiet. What do they do? They start yelling at each other!

Just a shit film.

Amazon is really pushing the new Chloe Moretz series. It does look pretty good but I think I'll wait for the season to end so I can binge it if I like it.

slashsfro

slashsfro wrote:

Was feeling kind of crummy yesterday so decided to relax with a Dirty Harry film.

Watched Magnum Force.  In some ways, I liked it more than the first Dirty Harry film.  In this one, the plotline is a bit more interesting to me, especially the beginning which establishes that yes, justice can be blind.  I did find it funny that a couple of times he was with women and got called away on police business.

I did kind of enjoy that they did explore the issue of how far do you go in terms of vigilantism.  And Harry being sort of a poster boy (from the first film) of this and sort of forced to make a decision.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Should've watched Dirty Harry in The Dead Pool lol

James

James wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

Was feeling kind of crummy yesterday so decided to relax with a Dirty Harry film.

Watched Magnum Force.  In some ways, I liked it more than the first Dirty Harry film.  In this one, the plotline is a bit more interesting to me, especially the beginning which establishes that yes, justice can be blind.  I did find it funny that a couple of times he was with women and got called away on police business.

I did kind of enjoy that they did explore the issue of how far do you go in terms of vigilantism.  And Harry being sort of a poster boy (from the first film) of this and sort of forced to make a decision.

This was always my favorite Dirty Harry film...one of my favorite Clint films period although probably dropped a few notches after rewatching so many of his films this past year such as Alcatraz and Josey Wales.

It's the peak of the franchise...the gritty realism is still intact here and then it starts going downhill with the cheese and unrealistic scenarios in The Enforcer and Sudden Impact....then going out with a whimper with The Dead Pool.

Best thing about The Dead Pool is the GNR cameo.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Watching Terrifier right now. Everyone is going ape shit about it, figure I’d give it a try. The opening is interesting

misterID

misterID wrote:

Terrifier is awful

slashsfro

slashsfro wrote:

Speaking of bad horror films:

Mother of Tears .  The final in Argento's trilogy turns out to be a dud.  Even the plotline of the world gone amuck isn't that interesting.  Oh what really bugged me at times was that Argento staged gruesome and crass kills.  I think he was trying to gloss over the fact that the story is pretty much shit.  The acting is kind of awful (probably the script again) and the film goes off the rails in the last 40 mins.

Busting: gritty 1970s cop film starring Eliot Gould and Robert Blake.  Very gritty and lots of neon lit scenes.  I personally enjoyed the chase scene through the market a lot.  It's got that general theme of how people, even cops, are generally powerless against those in power.  Surprised it isn't a bit more well known.

Board footer