You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

polluxlm wrote:

Can't think of a better Octavia than Kerry Condon in Rome. The years haven't been kind to her in that regard but she is of course still pretty.

I kinda of want to see that movie. Saw In Bruges and like both actors, but I'm feeling a little Tony Soprano about those kind of movies these days. Why do I care whatever happens in that film, however good it is? Unless it is some new revolutionary thing, what is it that I haven't seen before? Say if there's some new "Alien movie" out, do I bother watching that at this point? Can it be better?

When I watched Ford vs. Ferrari a while back; A really good movie, very well done. Like both actors, like cars. But at the end I said to myself "I've seen this movie before." Not that exact movie, but the type of movie I'm seeing. I felt I was wasting my time.

Guess I'm old. 16

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Mad City - How did I go 26 years without this on my radar?

I thought it was pretty damn good but it has a shitty ending.

Dustin Hoffman and Travolta an odd combo.

Edit

One more thing....

They were building up to a huge confrontation between Hoffman and Alda but it fizzles out.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

The Sopranos for the nth time.

I am on Season 2 now. This is the absolute cherry of the whole show. I can't imagine this will ever be topped, it is sooo good.

James

James wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

The Sopranos for the nth time.

I am on Season 2 now. This is the absolute cherry of the whole show. I can't imagine this will ever be topped, it is sooo good.

Season 1 is my favorite...but 2 is right on its ass.

My favorite part of season 2 is the bust out episodes. That whole subplot takes place over about 3-4 episodes.... from the "executive game" to eating through his store like termites.

Goodfellas did a good job showing the concept of a bust out but The Sopranos took it to another level. We get more details.

I love the part where they talk about the coolers. Richie says how they put a Nigerian on the street selling them for a couple bucks each. It's not a lot of profit...but it shows how they don't leave anything. It all gets sold under the table at a discount for cash. It's pure profit for Tony's crew.

Also like the bottled water....you eventually see it in Artie's restaurant. Nice attention to detail.

This is making me want to watch it again.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

Mad City - How did I go 26 years without this on my radar?

I thought it was pretty damn good but it has a shitty ending.

Dustin Hoffman and Travolta an odd combo.

Edit

One more thing....

They were building up to a huge confrontation between Hoffman and Alda but it fizzles out.

I watched this a couple of years ago and it's pretty good.  I agree about the ending it wasn't very good.  Don't think Hoffman likes this film very much either.

Duplicity--I rewatched this .  First saw it in 2009 or 10.  Got annoyed with it then.  But this time I enjoyed it.  It's one of those con/heist films.   The thing is though you have to pay attention since there are a fair amount of flashbacks.  It's not a gritty thriller film.  I think I enjoyed this more than Mr. and Mrs. Smith since the comparison will be inevitably be made.  That one has cartoonish over the top violence.

Sleep--German horror/psycho thriller.  I wanted to like this but ultimately the plot just totally loses me in the second half and just left me confused.  There's some mention to Neo-nazism in Germany that kind of is a factor in the second half of the film.  But I just can't make sense of the film.   Too bad, because I think it's pretty well shot.

James

James wrote:

I just checked...that Sleep film gets a 95% rating. Maybe I'll try it out. I rarely watch foreign films anymore.

Se7en - Never gets old. Looking back, it's amazing how influential this film really was...from the bat shit crazy intro, the bleak cinematography,....

I decided to read up on it after watching it. The people who passed on this is insane....and would've changed the entire feel of the film.

Denzel Washington as Mills
Sylvester Stallone as Somerset

And  as John Doe.....

Ned Beatty  18

I gotta admit....even though Spacey did an incredible job as Doe, it's intriguing imagining Beatty in that role. If he hits a home run with it, he probably gets a massive boost during the final chapter of his career.

It was his for the taking. Fincher thought he resembled that old sketch of the Zodiac. Beatty read the script, turned it down, and said it was the most evil thing he'd ever read.

I wonder if he regretted turning it down.

While I can imagine Denzel in the film, Stallone would have ruined it. He had the clout to change the script...and as we know, the studio wanted it changed from day one. Stallone would've been a Godsend to them.

In that timeline, it's probably an entirely different film...and it probably bombs. This would have likely killed Fincher's career...and also causes Pitt to be forced back into the romance type of films he was wanting to avoid at that point.

Se7en is one of those cases where they accidentally stumble into the conditions for a perfect film to be made. Hell...it almost got ruined with a bullshit ending as it is. One of the alternate endings the studio was pushing for is an action movie style chase where they're driving after Spacey and Paltrow(she's been kidnapped) and they wind up saving her.

We have Pitt to thank for that not happening. The studio had overruled Fincher and Walker's objections but thankfully Pitt stepped in.

Another alternate ending...not as bad as the above... Freeman shoots Spacey instead of Pitt. Freeman was in favor of this one but luckily Pitt was against it.

It loses its impact if he's murdered by anyone but Pitt. It's mind blowing they would've considered anyone else.

Edit

I forgot...

Paltrows role could've went to Christina Applegate (who had it but turned it down) or Robin Wright.

It's hard to believe Applegate turned this down. Her career was pretty much burnt toast by the mid 90s.

Pacino, Hackman, and Duvall turned down the film as well.

If Pacino does Se7en....he's not in Heat.

That's a scary thought.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Almost every movie is like that. They wanted Will Smith for the Matrix. It shows how it is often pure luck making a movie great.

Seven is among Fincher's best work, but I think the movie could have been even better with somebody other than Brad Pitt. He's just not a very good actor in my book. He has never impressed me in any movie. Paltrow too I guess could be done better, but maybe that's just because I thoroughly dislike her.

James

James wrote:

I think he was perfect for the role but I agree....he's not the best actor. There's that famous saying about him and it's spot on...

A character actor with leading man looks

His best performances...

Kalifornia
12 Monkeys
Se7en

Yeah Paltrow went too far. I liked her early on in her career but soured on her pretty quickly. She's one of those people where fame and fortune blows their mind. Doesn't even remotely live in the real world.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

I just checked...that Sleep film gets a 95% rating. Maybe I'll try it out. I rarely watch foreign films anymore.

Se7en - Never gets old. Looking back, it's amazing how influential this film really was...from the bat shit crazy intro, the bleak cinematography,....

I decided to read up on it after watching it. The people who passed on this is insane....and would've changed the entire feel of the film.

Denzel Washington as Mills
Sylvester Stallone as Somerset

And  as John Doe.....

Ned Beatty  18

I gotta admit....even though Spacey did an incredible job as Doe, it's intriguing imagining Beatty in that role. If he hits a home run with it, he probably gets a massive boost during the final chapter of his career.

It was his for the taking. Fincher thought he resembled that old sketch of the Zodiac. Beatty read the script, turned it down, and said it was the most evil thing he'd ever read.

I wonder if he regretted turning it down.

While I can imagine Denzel in the film, Stallone would have ruined it. He had the clout to change the script...and as we know, the studio wanted it changed from day one. Stallone would've been a Godsend to them.

In that timeline, it's probably an entirely different film...and it probably bombs. This would have likely killed Fincher's career...and also causes Pitt to be forced back into the romance type of films he was wanting to avoid at that point.

Se7en is one of those cases where they accidentally stumble into the conditions for a perfect film to be made. Hell...it almost got ruined with a bullshit ending as it is. One of the alternate endings the studio was pushing for is an action movie style chase where they're driving after Spacey and Paltrow(she's been kidnapped) and they wind up saving her.

We have Pitt to thank for that not happening. The studio had overruled Fincher and Walker's objections but thankfully Pitt stepped in.

Another alternate ending...not as bad as the above... Freeman shoots Spacey instead of Pitt. Freeman was in favor of this one but luckily Pitt was against it.

It loses its impact if he's murdered by anyone but Pitt. It's mind blowing they would've considered anyone else.

Edit

I forgot...

Paltrows role could've went to Christina Applegate (who had it but turned it down) or Robin Wright.

It's hard to believe Applegate turned this down. Her career was pretty much burnt toast by the mid 90s.

Pacino, Hackman, and Duvall turned down the film as well.

If Pacino does Se7en....he's not in Heat.

That's a scary thought.

A lot to unpack here.  Yep, the last time I watched it, I noticed (and loved) the bleak cinematography.  It's like Hell on Earth and totally appropriate for the film.

Stallone would have never fucking worked as Sommerset. The reason why Freeman and Spacey work well together is that they are doubles as one another.  Sommerset is grouchy as fuck in that film and jaded as hell.   If Stallone is in that film instead, it's just a Stallone (albeit bleak) action film.  There's no nuance to it probably.  Look, this isn't a shot on Stallone but you're probably not getting the other stuff in the film that you got from Freeman playing Sommerset.

Beatty would have been interesting as Doe.

Both of those alt endings suck in my opinion.  Honestly, it doesn't make that much sense for Freeman to shoot Doe anyway.  It HAD to be the Pitt character because he's basically the entire beacon of light and hope in that film...and he finally succumbed to the dark side of humanity.  No other ending is this powerful.

Personally I don't like Paltrow as well. But she's fine here and doesn't really detract from the film.  Wright would have been a better pick maybe.  Applegate never made any sense since as you stated her movie career was on the skids and she was still on Married w/Children at the time and was more or less a comedic actress.

Pacino was right to turn this down.   Love Heat and it wouldn't be the same w/out him.  He did Insomnia in the 2000's which is sort of close to Seven anyway.

I couldn't picture Duvall doing this but Hackman maybe, although he was sort of transitioning to supporting character roles at this point.

James

James wrote:

Another thing I love about Se7en is how you can't tell which city the story takes place in.

It kinda feels Midwest or east coast.....Philly... Pittsburgh...maybe Chicago or Cleveland. All the rain.... Seattle.

It was filmed in Los Angeles.

It does not have an LA vibe whatsoever.

Deliverance -  How does this not win Oscars? Yeah I know...The Godfather...but none of the actors even got nominated! I'd like to see what this would've done had it been released a year before or after.

I'm canceling Netflix. Claiming Cleopatra is black in their upcoming documentary is just going too far. Apparently this line is in the show...

Doesn't matter what you learned in school.... Cleopatra was black.

Fuck off. Sick of this nonsense.

I needed to cancel it anyways. I haven't been subscribed for very long but I rarely watch anything on it. Their selection is awful. Tubi has better stuff.

Board footer