You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

I saw Up last night and it exceeded my expectations. I thought it was really good, not Wall-E quality but closer to it than it was to Cars. And even Cars isn't that bad.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Star Wars - Episode I: The Phantom Menace

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Brokeback Mountain.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

Watched Godsend the other night on DVD, what a crap ending!

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones

Axl4Life
 Rep: 28 

Axl4Life wrote:

Mr. Brooks. Really enjoyed it.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones

I see a pattern developing.............

For the record, even though the prequels get dogged, I loved III

I haven't actually watched ANY of the Star Wars films in many many years. I haven't watched the original trilogy since my childhood, and haven't seen the prequel trilogy since their release, so i'm going back through all of them starting with Episode I.

I must say it's been quite interesting so far. When I saw Phantom Menace in '99 in theaters, with the massive amount of hype it had going into it, I remember walking away with a really really bad taste in my mouth. It was an average film at best, and was nowhere the original trilogy. So I stayed away from Attack of the Clones in 2002. Then Clones airs on FOX in like 2005 the night before Revenge of the Sith opened. I watched Clones on FOX (watching movies on TV is rare for me), and I thought it was much better than Menace, so I decided to go see Sith the following day. Sith was absolutely amazing. Very good film, and although I haven't seen the originals in some time, I remember thinking Sith was possibly one of the best.

Now in the last couple of days i've re-watched Menace & Clones for the first time. I must say, Menace is not near as bad as I remembered it being, maybe because i've had a decade to seperate myself from that "hype of the millenium" that it got in 1999. Menace is still not a great film on the level of the original trilogy by any stretch of the imagination, but I thought it was good.

The irony is I sit down and watch Clones, which in 2005 I thought was superior to Menace, only to discover that I think now, in 2009, that I prefer Menace over Clones. Menace seems to actually have a plot, and if you can get past the absolutely 'scene-draining' character of Jar Jar Binks, there are bright spots in the film such as Liam Neeson, and the film actually seems to have a cogent plot with reason, something absent in Clones. Clones for me seemed to be all flash, and no substance in alot of places. The lines were flat & cliched for both Anakin & Padme, and downright cornball at times. The whole Anakin going back to find his mother thing should've been a big arc coming out of Menace, and instead it was an anti-climax. Anakin slaughtering the people there should've also been a big moment towards his downward spiral into the Darth Vadar era, and it also was a 'meh' moment. Obi Wan had the most juicy stuff in the film during the investigation into the assassination attempt and locating Count Dooku, and the battle that ensued, including that kick ass sequence with Yoda breaking out the Force to save Obi Wan & Anakin from Dooku. Probably the main highlight from the film.

It was a downgrade to Menace in hind sight, and Clones just seemed to be one big clusterfuck. A bunch of cool ideas Lucas had, but no real story other than what was already known, and the dialogue was bad in places. Seemed to just be 'filler' to get them to setting up Sith.

So next up is Sith. I hope it's good as I remember. I remember walking away from it with a "wow, that just might be up there with Empire Strikes Back", but i'm probably crazy.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Terminator 4

It was a decent action flick, pretty decent.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

just watched reservoir dogs

i recently purchased the new trilogy for starwars and i must say that a few years of not seeing them i really enjoyed the newer trilogy...especially episode 3

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:

Axlin08, Sith doesn't hold up very well with repeat viewings IMHO. The dialogue is fucking terrible. I feel bad for Natalie Portman because Lucas gave her the worst lines of the film, hands down. And what can one say about Hayden Christensen's attempt at acting? LOL.

Board footer