You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

Axlin16 wrote:

I know, that's another major complaint is the casting of teenager Anakin. Hayden Christiansen was the best they could do? Seriously? Jake Lloyd did a pretty good job for a child, but it was Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor & Natalie Portman's movie, so he didn't have to do too much.

Christensen is serviceable, but you talk about cookie cutter. There had to be someone better. And it doesn't help the contrast either. You've got such a fantastic actor in Ewan McGregor, practically the perfect young Obi Wan Kenobi, and then you switch to a reject from The OC.

AtariLegend wrote:
A4L2.0 wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
A4L2.0 wrote:

Being John Malkovich
Escape from Alcatraz
Monty Python: Life of Brian
Cinderella Man
Pulp Fiction
Grizzly Man
Raging Bull
A Beautiful Mind
Good Will Hunting

I'm not sure if I ever saw "Grizzly Man", but the rest are all good to great films. Pretty cool diverse buys.

Apparently it's a documentary film about a guy that's spent 13 years of his life living with bears.

Yeah, I've seen my tastes in films change over the last 15 months or so. Maybe it's just because I'm getting older. I used to love comedy and anything Adam Sandler, but now I'm not really keen on the genre and the only Sandler movie I'll really watch these days is "Reign Over Me." Not saying I hate comedy just don't really watch the genre these days. I love Drama movies and films based on true events.

I've saw some fantastic films this year old, and new ones that I love to watch and talk about such as:

Lost in Translation
Broken Flowers
Sideways
The Wrestler
The Visitor
Changeling
In The Line of Fire
Million Dollar Baby
Gran Torino
Flash of Genius
Requiem For A Dream
The Pianist

What kind of movies do you generally watch?

Apart from the general whatever is big in the Cinema at the time, I watch alot of foreign movies i.e French, German, Japanese and Swedish ect...

I'm also a big fan of Spaghetti Westerns, Sci-Fi and War films. Really just nerd stuff.

I'm not so much into Comedy, I don't like Ricky Gervais or Simon Pegg stuff and I'm too old these days for "South Park" style humour. I don't dig Steven Seagal action movies either.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I thought the same thing with Sith.  Myb not up there with Star Wars or Empire, but prob better than Jedi.

I saw There Will Be Blood. I thought it was great!  DD Lewis was awesome, and the film was very well made & creative.

AtariLegend wrote:

"House Of Wax"

An hour and a half I'll never get back.. tongue

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith

A very good movie, and still as good as I remember. The dialogue was a bit standard in places, but the acting was good, and Hayden Christensen improved from Clones. Natalie Portman seemed to be the most underused. Her dialogue was weak, and she seemed to just be there for Luke & Leia's birth. Yoda was pretty cool in this one, kicking some ass, after the Jedi's were basically wiped out. The story was very entertaining. The entire film felt like finally getting the meat & potatoes of Star Wars, after two films of appetizers.

The film is the best of the prequel trilogy by a mile. I'll be moving on to Episode IV now...

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope

Wow... I was totally disappointed after watching this. Amazing how some movies are glorious when you're a child (The Dukes of Hazzard was the greatest TV show ever back in those days 16 ), but Star Wars majorly lets me down into my adulthood. This movie actually is not all that good. The dialogue is weak as hell almost everywhere. Mark Hamill isn't bad, but overacts in several places. Han Solo & Obi Wan are the bright points. The story gets a big buildup in the first half, then turns into an space-war movie the second half. It's still a good film, and a sci-fi classic. It's just not the epic masterpiece I remembered it being, that's all. Classic sci-fi film for it's time, and still charming, but it's just a 'good' movie. No more, no less.

Rank so far:

III
IV
I
II

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope

Wow... I was totally disappointed after watching this. Amazing how some movies are glorious when you're a child (The Dukes of Hazzard was the greatest TV show ever back in those days 16 ), but Star Wars majorly lets me down into my adulthood. This movie actually is not all that good. The dialogue is weak as hell almost everywhere. Mark Hamill isn't bad, but overacts in several places. Han Solo & Obi Wan are the bright points. The story gets a big buildup in the first half, then turns into an space-war movie the second half. It's still a good film, and a sci-fi classic. It's just not the epic masterpiece I remembered it being, that's all. Classic sci-fi film for it's time, and still charming, but it's just a 'good' movie. No more, no less.

Rank so far:

III
IV
I
II

I will say the Star Wars original trilogy is overrated, but that's typical of every fanboy-driven series including Lord of the Rings. Episodes IV and V are miles above the rest of the Star Wars franchise in my book though, and it's got nothin' to do with nostalgia. The dialogue is bad in all of the Star Wars movies, but the acting is far better in IV and V than any of the others, and unlike VI, there are no stupid Ewoks. 14

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

It'll be interesting how I feel going into V & VI. When I was a kid, Return of the Jedi was my favorite, and I thought Empire Strikes Back was the least. This was the days before the prequel trilogy.

So it'll be interesting to see how my opinion wavers. My opinion on IV went from masterpiece to "good little film from 1977".

If you were to ask me right now, i'd say Smokey and The Bandit is a better film than Episode IV.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Terminator 4. Good film enjoyed it, wish it was doing better at the box office.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

The Da Vinci Code

SUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Tom Hanks, what a misstep. For Tom & Ron Howard, it makes Splash looks like Apollo 13.

Awful, awful film. Nearly Batman & Robin territory.

Board footer