You are not logged in. Please register or login.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Re: Remember this document?

Axl was reported to be in a studio in Vegas at some time in Jan from numerous sources. The album was said to have been 'finished' in Jan/Feb so that part of the statement they did keep to. It just seems from then on things have gone tits up in a way they only do for GNR. Forgetting all other delays we've had on the album and just focusing on the last year, it's absoloutley baffling to me how you can set a release date of March 6th, tentative or otherwise, and miss it by what surely now will be over a year.

If we are delayed for unseen reasons you will also be notified as soon as possible in regard to a new date and the album will be released as shortly thereafter as is possible. We thank you for your patience.

A years worth of unseen reasons? Sceptical, I think is the best way to describe my thoughts on that.

In the end it's just an album and one that I, the band, our record company and all involved believe and feel is a true Guns N' Roses album. Ultimately the public will decide and regardless of the outcome our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason we feel those elements alone merit your consideration. We do hope you can hold on just a bit longer and if not we hope you would please feel free to take a break and we'll be more than glad (if you so choose) to see you again later.

Someone brought up a good point the other week about this part of the statement. Why advise fans to take a break in waiting for the album if it was, at that point, less than 3 months away? Some people have waited 14 years for this album, yet they couldn't manage another 3 months?

Eerily similar to this statement from Axl back in 02 really isn't it?

It feels right, the timing, and a lot of things. We've sorted it down to what songs are on the record. What the sequence of the songs is. The album cover art is ready. Blah, blah, blah. If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you, in the end you could win on this either way. But if you're really into waiting try holding your breath for Jesus cause I hear the payoff may be that much greater.

That's twice in 5 years Axl has said the album's ready to go and then followed up by saying 'but don't hold your breath or bother waiting for it'. In hindsight great advice, although given the context still very bizzare, it was either ready or it wasn't, you don't warn people not to hold their breath or take a break from something that's coming imminently, it doesn't make any sense.

Deniz
 Rep: 1 

Deniz wrote:

My guess is that, up to those cancellations it was a ''promote the new band and financially help the album'' tour. In Jan he did go to the studio and realized the album isn't gonna be finished anytime soon but he went on with the 3rd leg of the tour anyway. So after those January dates, it turned to a ''cash crab'' tour.

AtariLegend wrote:
Deniz wrote:

In Jan he did go to the studio and realized the album isn't gonna be finished anytime soon but he went on with the 3rd leg of the tour anyway. So after those January dates, it turned to a ''cash crab'' tour.

It was said that recording actually got finished in that time and mixing begun, after the Asia leg of the tour we were basically told it was done, Andy Wallace (?) had finished the mixing... So there was a lot of progess [Indirectly].

This should've been the biggest new in years...

...Of course we still haven't got it yet.

dave-gnfnr2k
 Rep: 11 

dave-gnfnr2k wrote:

it said was poor ticket sales back then and not to finish the album and I was right once again.
Its such a joke this has become

dave-gnfnr2k wrote:

it said was poor ticket sales back then and not to finish the album and I was right once again.
Its such a joke this has become

What said it was poor ticket sales?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I think he might be referring to that Maine fiasco.

Anyone who had tickets to these shows knows it was ticket sales. Like I said, I could have had my choice of any seats until the day of the cancellation.

If it was to get the album out, why did the LA shows take place? Because tickets were sold there.

You could be right but regardless, it's been printed that Axl was in the studio in January and as well as BBF and Frank to finished up their parts and by Feb. the album was being mixed.

Wasn't like in March Axl was recording so at least there is some credence to the letter.

WARose
 Rep: 26 

WARose wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

I think he might be referring to that Maine fiasco.

Anyone who had tickets to these shows knows it was ticket sales. Like I said, I could have had my choice of any seats until the day of the cancellation.

If it was to get the album out, why did the LA shows take place? Because tickets were sold there.

because there was a three week gap between those shows and the cali shows...  you don`t just go there and play i guess, it takes preparation/rehearsals whatever. three weeks less time to work on the album, which i firmly believe the focus was on at that time. we don`t know what happened after it was finished... and as merck said in his letter to the fans:

Without the album out it does not make sense to do the 5 shows we have scheduled for January in isolation so they are being cancelled and we will focus on getting the album out.

as for them only being cancelled because of poor ticket sales.... i guess gnr wouldn`t have cancelled sell out shows.... but i don`t see it as the main reason.

starsko
 Rep: 6 

starsko wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

You could be right but regardless, it's been printed that Axl was in the studio in January and as well as BBF and Frank to finished up their parts and by Feb. the album was being mixed.

Wasn't like in March Axl was recording so at least there is some credence to the letter.

The letter was bullshit. As Axl said "It takes approximately 8 weeks for an album to hit the shelves once it has been turned in to the record company".

So, if they were still recording and mixing in February, it would have been impossible to release the album on March 6th. Actually, the album should have been turned in to the record company before those cancelled shows if they really wanted to release it on March 6th....

starsko wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

The letter was bullshit. As Axl said "It takes approximately 8 weeks for an album to hit the shelves once it has been turned in to the record company".

So, if they were still recording and mixing in February, it would have been impossible to release the album on March 6th. Actually, the album should have been turned in to the record company before those cancelled shows if they really wanted to release it on March 6th....

Only thing that can be said in Axl's defense was that he used the term tentative date which didn't promise anything, alot of people were taking March 6th as a promised release date.   I was just as disappointed as the next person but he never did promise that March 6th would have been the date.   I do believe he was in the studio at that time.    What he did promise was a followup update that never happened so that is what hurt him and with that letter the most, had he sent out a follow up then maybe people would have been a bit more pacified at that time.

Board footer