You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bright Eyes 2005
 Rep: 27 

Re: Whats the opinion people in your life have on CD?

In 2008, using mediocre sales to determine what is great or not, classic or not would be far less accurate than it was thirty or forty years ago--there are hundreds of more options, genres, etc. to choose from.  Moreover, I don't know about how much you have been paying attention to the music industry, but something that moves 450,000 units stateside in one month, and 1.5 million in the world in 2008 is good.  Radio, traditional media, tv, etc. have deteriorated as the talent pool has moved into other fields and their influence has subsided as well.

Bright Eyes 2005

James Lofton wrote:
faldor wrote:
Bright Eyes 2005 wrote:

This whole thread is full of a lot of hot steam, coming from hot-headed blowhards who seem to think their opinion about music is universal and absolute.  Well, I hate to break it to you, but music and art are subjective.  There is no right or wrong, and that is only thing I can say.  Saying something is a failure because of early sales #'s is a joke, as is saying something is a success because of huge sales.  Doesn't really matter.

Very true, apparently though we are wrong for thinking CD is good.  Because it hasn't blown up the billboard charts and some people don't view it as mind blowing or earth shattering, I guess it must not be good.  I guess I should go burn my copy of CD, since it's such a worthless piece of garbage.  Thank you all for helping me see the light.

I must be crazy.  I actually thought I liked it.  I've been listening to it nonstop since I got it a month ago.  What was I thinking?  How could I possibly have liked music that Britney Spears and Kanye West fans don't approve of?

Who is saying that? I don't see those sorts of things here. No one is asking people to throw the album in the garbage can.

The GNR name has always been at a certain standard. Before this album was released, everyone would have agreed. Now that it didn't set the world on fire, all of a sudden album sales and the legacy mean nothing. The Billboard charts don't dictate what I listen to. Santogold shits all over this album in my opinion, yet she has less sales than CD. However, nothing is expected of her. She doesn't have a band name to live up to.

You can like whatever it is you like. There's nothing wrong with pointing out this album went over like a walrus turd for Thanksgiving dinner. It doesn't change the hardcore fans opinions regarding the music itself.

That Santogold album is quite good, and a completely different type of music (saying it shits all over the CD, though, is hilarious--like comparing an orchestra to the Sex Pistols, where both are good)--like I was saying in a thread above, there are so many different options, and styles of music to choose from, which I love, that are available now for purchase, that sales are not the gold standard they were even twenty years ago.  The internet, has served as diaspora of sorts regarding music getting into the hands of those who can distribute it.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

well brighteyes for obvious reasons CD is being compared to the latest efforts from AC/DC and Metallica...both albums turned in huge #'s and both bands were rivals so to speak "back in the day" if those 2 bands turned in those kind of sales figures then understandably gnr was expected to as well

personally i could care less who buys this album, but i call a spade a spade. if the tables were turned you could bet your ass that everyone would be praising the good lord that gnr broke all kinds of sales records and shit...it didnt happen so the naysayers will have their day in the sun...but 2009 is a week away and it'll be a long year, and hopefully GnR will gain some momentum in the coming months 5 a tour, a music video, some interviews...who knows whats gonna happen

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
faldor wrote:
Bright Eyes 2005 wrote:

This whole thread is full of a lot of hot steam, coming from hot-headed blowhards who seem to think their opinion about music is universal and absolute.  Well, I hate to break it to you, but music and art are subjective.  There is no right or wrong, and that is only thing I can say.  Saying something is a failure because of early sales #'s is a joke, as is saying something is a success because of huge sales.  Doesn't really matter.

Very true, apparently though we are wrong for thinking CD is good.  Because it hasn't blown up the billboard charts and some people don't view it as mind blowing or earth shattering, I guess it must not be good.  I guess I should go burn my copy of CD, since it's such a worthless piece of garbage.  Thank you all for helping me see the light.

I must be crazy.  I actually thought I liked it.  I've been listening to it nonstop since I got it a month ago.  What was I thinking?  How could I possibly have liked music that Britney Spears and Kanye West fans don't approve of?

Nobody is saying that and by suggesting we are Faldor you sound like a jaded  pissed off fan who is angry the public doesn't see it as a masterpiece or love it the way you do. If you love it that's great. I wouldn't want you to dislike it. I've never said anyone who lies is a retard. But I would like people on these boards to pull the fucking blinders off and admit that it's not a mass appealing album. there's nothing wrong with that but to sit here and read fucking conspiracy theories why he public doesn't  revel in it the way forum fasn are is ridiculous.  Everyone keeps saying the album speaks for itself. Yeah but only to those who enjoy it. Those who don't are mindless sheep who have been manipulated by Wal-Mart into buying Black Ice instead. It's like some of you are saying anyone who doesn't like it is a fucking moron.  Has it blown up the billboard charts peole would be using sales as an arguement for the album but since sales were less than stellar it all Wal-Marets fault for brainwashing people or it's Best buy's fault for failing at promoting it or it's Axl's fault for not doing an interveiw or whatever. Sure those things can be taken into account but if fans are gonna keep saying the music will speak for itself just tell me how long we have to wait for it to speak up? I'm pretty sure the music is speaking for itself right now and alot of people disagree with what it's saying. Too may of you refuse or for whatever reason are affraid to admit the public isn't gonna like it the way you do. I don't get that.
  I love The National for example. I think the songs are amazing. Most everyone I know who I've shown them too think they are boring as hell. Does that make them a fucking idiot for not likeing them? Does it make me a fucking idiot for likeing them? Or does it just mean the album isn't appealing to the mainstreme public no matter how much I enjoy it. I use my common sense to  to aknowledge it's just not the type of album that appeals to most. Nobody's a fucking idiot but if I couldn't see the reality of that than yes I'd be the idiot.
Also let's not forget that the album sold alot based on the Gn'R name alone. That's a fact and anyone who denies that is in denial. I know of only one friend who bought the album and he did so based on it being a  New "Guns N' Roses" album he bought for the name period. He saw it in HMV and he bought it cause it was a Gn'R album in the new release section. So that also factors into the sales.  So if people can point to their own perception of a lack of promo than you also gotta point to the  guaranteed sales thanks to the Gn'R name. Maybe it's ballanced itself out. I don't know.

Bright Eyes 2005

I guess I just see it differently, I just don't see music in a sports context, or competitive context.  I enjoy it, and the rest is for the business side to take care of; the business side, as Lester Bangs said, ruined the fabric of what makes music and live shows great!  I really admire, and enjoy GNR taking a low key approach to this whole thing.  I mean, if I was a member of the band, I would be laughing at these boards obsession with commercial aspects of the album, and all kinds of fickle superficial attempts to demean it. 

Really, I don't give a flip what Metallica, ACDC or whoever did sales wise.  I like Metallica, and I like GNR--if they put out an album, I buy it and either enjoy it or not, but joe schmo telling me not to like it, or the media saying not to like it because it only sold a few million or whatever don't mean a fuck to me.

Bright Eyes 2005

Bono wrote:
faldor wrote:
Bright Eyes 2005 wrote:

Nobody is saying that and by suggesting we are Faldor you sound like a jaded  pissed off fan who is angry the public doesn't see it as a masterpiece or love it the way you do. If you love it that's great. I wouldn't want you to dislike it. I've never said anyone who lies is a retard. But I would like people on these boards to pull the fucking blinders off and admit that it's not a mass appealing album. there's nothing wrong with that but to sit here and read fucking conspiracy theories why he public doesn't  revel in it the way forum fasn are is ridiculous.  Everyone keeps saying the album speaks for itself. Yeah but only to those who enjoy it. Those who don't are mindless sheep who have been manipulated by Wal-Mart into buying Black Ice instead. It's like some of you are saying anyone who doesn't like it is a fucking moron.  Has it blown up the billboard charts peole would be using sales as an arguement for the album but since sales were less than stellar it all Wal-Marets fault for brainwashing people or it's Best buy's fault for failing at promoting it or it's Axl's fault for not doing an interveiw or whatever. Sure those things can be taken into account but if fans are gonna keep saying the music will speak for itself just tell me how long we have to wait for it to speak up? I'm pretty sure the music is speaking for itself right now and alot of people disagree with what it's saying. Too may of you refuse or for whatever reason are affraid to admit the public isn't gonan like it teh way you do. I don't get that.
  I love The National for example. I think the songs are amazing. Most everyone I know who I've shown them too think they are boring as hell. Does that make them a fucking idiot for not likeing them? Does it make me a fucking idiot for likeing them? Or does it just mean the album isn't appealing to the mainstreme public no matter how much I enjoy it. I use my common sense to  to aknowledge it's just not the type of album that appeals to most. Nobody's a fucking idiot but if I couldn't see the reality of that than yes I'd be the idiot.

Bono, really what are you trying to prove?  Who is saying or obsessed with this being a mass appealing album?  Faldor certainly doesn't give a shit.  The only people who keep harping on these points, are those who keep saying that GNR fans should go run into a hole because the album did not sell 1 million copies in a month in the United States.  Who gives a shit?  I could care less what the public thinks, or what Entertainment Weekly thinks, or certainly what your messed up Anger Projecting ass thinks.  Like I said, I like the lack of pandering to the paparazzi and sensational/superficial media.  Fuck em all!

One more thing, some of you are purposely manipulating what people say, trying to paint them as something they are not, just to attack them.  That is not cool.

Bono

Bono wrote:
Bright Eyes 2005 wrote:

Bono, really what are you trying to prove?  Who is saying or obsessed with this being a mass appealing album?  Faldor certainly doesn't give a shit.  The only people who keep harping on these points, are those who keep saying that GNR fans should go run into a hole because the album did not sell 1 million copies in a month in the United States.  Who gives a shit?

I give a shit when people I've conversed with for years who seem like smart people start sounding like Axl Rose himself. Drumming up every excuse in the book why the album has "failed".  If nobody gives a shit than why do some keep pointing to lack of promo and lack of Axl doing this and  and lack of radio play and  how bands like AC/DC are only moving units thanks to Wal-Mart. It's sonds idiotic. blah fucking blah is all it is. It sounds lieka  bunch of fans getting defensive and trying to convince temselevs it's not the album it's the world.  If nobody cares than nobody should be bicthing about how they feel the album was marketed poorly. EVERYBODY CARES it seems cause like I've said had this album been a  rip roaring #1 smash hit everyone and their dog would use sales as a measuring stick but when things didn't go the way some fantasized suddenly the public are morons, the promo campaigne sucks and sales don't matter. It's irritating to hear smart people flip a  switch like this. I promise you if U2's album sells the way CD  does it'll be considerd a failure. hell Pop sold  6 million copies and it's still considerd a failure even by those who say sales don't matter. Tell me you understand what I'm saying here. Love the album enjoy it for yourself but the excuses as to why the album hasn't sold off the charts are weak at this point. the album free falled off the charts. That's says something. Alot of things in fact so aknowldege them all.

Bono

Bono wrote:
Bright Eyes 2005 wrote:

Really, I don't give a flip what Metallica, ACDC or whoever did sales wise.  I like Metallica, and I like GNR--if they put out an album, I buy it and either enjoy it or not, but joe schmo telling me not to like it, or the media saying not to like it because it only sold a few million or whatever don't mean a fuck to me.

Who's telling you not to like it? This part is called reading comprehension and you're failing at it. NOBODY is saying dont like it. Why the fuck would anyone say don't like something. Like as many things in life as you can.  I've never hoped anyone would dislike Chinese Democracy I honestly wanted people to like it. I just hate that people can't accept or admit for whatever reason there are some who don't legitimately like. They're either a mindles idiot or they haven't given it a fair chance. That's fucked up and that kind of attitude shows people who say they don't care what Joe Public thinks actually do care what they think.

Bright Eyes 2005

Bono wrote:
Bright Eyes 2005 wrote:

Bono, really what are you trying to prove?  Who is saying or obsessed with this being a mass appealing album?  Faldor certainly doesn't give a shit.  The only people who keep harping on these points, are those who keep saying that GNR fans should go run into a hole because the album did not sell 1 million copies in a month in the United States.  Who gives a shit?

I give a shit when people I've conversed with for years who seem like smart people start sounding like Axl Rose himself. Drumming up every excuse in the book why the album has "failed".  If nobody gives a shit than why do some keep pointing to lack of promo and lack of Axl doing this and  and lack of radio play and  how bands like AC/DC are only moving units thanks to Wal-Mart. It's sonds idiotic. blah fucking blah is all it is. It sounds lieka  bunch of fans getting defensive and trying to convince temselevs it's not the album it's the world.  If nobody cares than nobody should be bicthing about how they feel the album was marketed poorly. EVERYBODY CARES it seems cause like I've said had this album been a  rip roaring #1 smash hit everyone and their dog would use sales as a measuring stick but when things didn't go the way some fantasized suddenly the public are morons, the promo campaigne sucks and sales don't matter. It's irritating to hear smart people flip a  switch like this. I promise you if U2's album sells the way CD  does it'll be considerd a failure. hell Pop sold  6 million copies and it's still considerd a failure even by those who say sales don't matter. Tell me you understand what I'm saying here. Love the album enjoy it for yourself but the excuses as to why the album hasn't sold off the charts are weak at this point. the album free falled off the charts. That's says something. Alot of things in fact so aknowldege them all.

Maybe people are just pointing out facts, when people and spammers keep noting and pointing the discussion back towards album sales or whatever.  I would not have used album sales as a measuring stick, so not EVERYONE cares.   Who has been making excuses about anything in this thread?  You seem to keep bringing this stuff up yourself, and then are throwing a temper tantrum like a two year old.  If you can't handle the speed, try heroin.

Sky Dog wrote:
Bono wrote:
Bright Eyes 2005 wrote:

just to set the facts straight, POP by U2 is 1xPlatinum in the US....ie, 1,000,000 units shipped according to RIAA-not sure where Bono's 6 million comes from but I doubt there are really any true facts and figures on it- worldwide stats were pretty dicey then. Chinese Democracy shipped and sold 1,300,000 (at an educated minimum) to Best Buy before it's release date. Chinese has sold over 1,200,000 worldwide in the first four weeks according to the world charts. Considering it's only been around for 4 weeks, I think it is best to wait a bit before making any all consuming projections/assumptions. I am not confident it is going to get better, but I do know time has a way of changing people's perceptions on things for good and bad.:peace:

Board footer