You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Re: The NINE INCH NAILS Thread

They actually didnt play it much on the LITS tour but it was a single and a popular one. Good song too. Every Day is Exactly the Same. With Teeth had good singles.

AtariLegend wrote:
Communist China wrote:

They actually didnt play it much on the LITS tour but it was a single and a popular one. Good song too. Every Day is Exactly the Same. With Teeth had good singles.

Trent never played either "Sunspots" or "The Perfect Drug" live... did he..?

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:

Every Day is exactly the same is the song that got me (sorta into) NIN. that and The Hand That Feeds.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

AtariLegend wrote:
Communist China wrote:

Trent never played either "Sunspots" or "The Perfect Drug" live... did he..?

The Perfect Drug has never been played, Sunspots got soundchecked but never performed during concert.

alexh0618
 Rep: 14 

alexh0618 wrote:

From Year Zero, they usually play Survivalism, The Good Soldier, Vessel, God Given, and In This Twilight. They also played The Big Come Down from The Fragile to which was pretty cool.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Thanks for the tips everyone smile smile

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Not sure what thread to put this in but I picked this one regardless. here's a  quote from Trent Reznor on this first encounter with Bono

Let me tell you a story about something that really helped me out: I saw U2 for the first time, on their Zoo TV Tour. I was backstage with Marilyn Manson, sitting in a room, and Bono comes in. I'd never met him, but we knew of each other through Flood, the producer who worked on both our records. Bono sat down and talked with me for an hour, and we had this kind of drunken mind meld. I said: "I'll tell you what I'm going through now. We went from being underground-elite darlings to the point where we're getting shit on by those same people because now we sell records. And I know you guys have gone through the same thing." Bono says: "Fuck those people. That's like saying, 'You're cool enough to listen to my music, but you - you grew up in Wisconsin; you're not cool enough to listen to it.' That's a kind of fascism." He goes, "You do what you believe you have to do. That's what we've always done. You believe in yourself and don't worry about the people who don't like it because it's not the right fashion statement that they're trying to adhere to."

Now U2's not my favorite band, but I do respect them, and in the same way I respect Bowie: They change without fear of change. I left that night thinking, "He's right. Why am I concerned about some snotty-nosed college magazine that thinks I'm not cool because people liked the record and bought it?" After that, I got over that whole thing.

That's pretty cool. 9

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

bonotrent.jpg

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

So I was at the Nine Inch Nails gig at Festival Hall in Melbourne last night.

A few impressions. Firstly let me say that the light show was nothing short of blinding from the front of the mosh pit. They had the sort of lighting rig you'd expect in a massive arena jammed into the smaller stage. Actually it was a lot more lights than you would expect. The intensity of the lights and their interaction with the sound was incrediable and completely disorienting at times. I've seen lots of rock acts, its not like i was impressed they had lights, but this was something else.

And the sound. Holy Hell there was a lot of bass, yet they didn't loose the vocals. I'm familiar with a lot of bass having seen various metal and rap acts, and i'm not sure if this was a function of the PA at Festival Hall and its wooden floors, but at times I was not only fearing for the structural integrity of the building, but that my insides we're being turned to liquid. A part of it was because in addition to the actual bass guitar a lot it was "sub-bass" created by the various industial computer instuments.

As you'd expect at Festival Hall, it turned into a sweat-box and a half. Take a small space, throw in a couple of thousand wound up fans, and a few million watts of lighting equipment and that will happen. Trent even commented at one stage that given how dripping with sweat he was safely out front, that he wondered how those of us in the front rows were handling it.

Speaking of Trent I had no idea how built be was in real life, dude has some pretty buff arms going on in person. LOL. Interestingly NIN has opted for a 4 piece line up for this tour, which ment all  four of them played keyboards at various stages in the songs in addition  to their "own" instruments of drums, guitar and bass. They'd run over and trigger an effect or something, then play some more other things. Sounds wierd but it worked.

Musically they were in top form, providing an almost unrelenting sonic assault, the band only pausing between tracks around twice in the night, the first time was more than an hour into the show. Trent commented that since his announcement this week that NIN would be "put on hold" that it made these shows now a lot more special to him and the band, and that therefore he'd decided to mix things up and play things he wanted to play, rather than playing a greatest hits package, this gave the show a lot more atmosphere than a regular performance from an established band.

Robin Fink looked totally at home in NIN, the industrial sounds suiting his natural style much more than GNR seemed to. Seemed like the best job in the world to me, as his guitar parts are pretty easy, as its mostly single riffs or supporting sound effects, yet he gets all the adulation and highs associated with performing in a major act, and the four piece set up gave him a major piece of the attention and action on stage. Without the pressure of having to deliver anything too hard. It must be a nice change for him from being in GNR where the fan base is semi-hostile to him (as a Slash replacement) and where h is also upstaged by Buckethead or Bumble. The NIN fans were into him and many new him by name, which surprised me as I thought NIN was mostly all about people loving Trent. Anyway..Robin  really shone in his own light as a peformer. So it was a good night.

Board footer