You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: U2 - Acoustic Achtung Babies

bigbri wrote:

I only listened to my leak once, so I have more digesting to do. I'll say, nothing really jumped out and grabbed my by the balls like Vertigo did or Beautiful Day way back when. A lot of it grabbed me by the head, though. Lots of interesting things going on in some of these songs, although I think it trails way off at the end. Those last few tracks just seem to slog along. Great lyrics as usual, but some are just downright odd.

I still am lukewarm about Get On Your Boots. I agree with James that the title track is a poor opener. I really dig Crazy. Bono does some fun vocal things in that one. I also love some of the Edge's mellow playing on Moment of Surrender and Magnificent. In fact some of it is downright badass, blues-esque playing. Reminds me of ... wait for it ... not Slash, but Population Override-era Buckethead. Fans of a certain guitarist should listen to Edge's playing. You can retain your style, your sound without playing the same thing over and over again, album after album. I'm really quite impressed with the guitars for the most part. I wish he would really go after it a little more though.

I only heard it once, so on further listens I can say more, but Magnificent, Moment of Surrender and Crazy stand out to me. Fez-Being Born, honestly, I don't know what the hell it's doing on here, but, hey, they're experimenting a bit, obviously.

Sky Dog wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
madagas wrote:

but Bono's melodies aren't grabbing me right now.

I wouldn't make that statement too boldly, but that's what I meant when describing Breathe. It's a good song, but its missing an ingredient. Not a main ingredient, just an ingredient you were accustomed to. He seems to be forcing things just a bit when he doesn't need to. I think Breathe would have worked better at a slightly lower tempo. The "Michael Stipe verses"(I know you know what I'm talking about) stand out a bit too much and make it a bit awkward.

Its a very solid record. regardless of who puts out albums this year, I guarantee this album makes my top ten list, and it wont be near the bottom. Its not really a "safe" record by any means, and at this point in their career, they could have easily charted that course.

U2 are basically the Stones yet continue to push themselves creatively.

Unforgettable Fire

Good point on that, but I never particularly favored that album. Haven't heard it in many years though. Think I'll download it.

But what the fuck do I know, my favorite U2 album is Rattle and Hum. 14

funny you said that about Breathe....love it and it does have a Michael Stipe type delivery!:D

Sky Dog wrote:
bigbri wrote:

I only listened to my leak once, so I have more digesting to do. I'll say, nothing really jumped out and grabbed my by the balls like Vertigo did or Beautiful Day way back when. A lot of it grabbed me by the head, though. Lots of interesting things going on in some of these songs, although I think it trails way off at the end. Those last few tracks just seem to slog along. Great lyrics as usual, but some are just downright odd.

I still am lukewarm about Get On Your Boots. I agree with James that the title track is a poor opener. I really dig Crazy. Bono does some fun vocal things in that one. I also love some of the Edge's mellow playing on Moment of Surrender and Magnificent. In fact some of it is downright badass, blues-esque playing. Reminds me of ... wait for it ... not Slash, but Population Override-era Buckethead. Fans of a certain guitarist should listen to Edge's playing. You can retain your style, your sound without playing the same thing over and over again, album after album. I'm really quite impressed with the guitars for the most part. I wish he would really go after it a little more though.

I only heard it once, so on further listens I can say more, but Magnificent, Moment of Surrender and Crazy stand out to me. Fez-Being Born, honestly, I don't know what the hell it's doing on here, but, hey, they're experimenting a bit, obviously.

I liked Fez and the whole end of the album...got a little Beatleaque with the cutting and pasting of other songs and noises.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Bono, I do understand wanting the "full" experience of listening to your most anticipated album. I either told this story here or at ROV, but weeks before Kala's release I acquired an extremely shitty quality leak of the album. This didn't surface anywhere(I didn't even share it at ROV because I didn't want to be responsible for her art to be compromised in such a fashion). When the real leak happened, it was a couple weeks or so before release.

Anyways, I of course broke down and listened immediately because I was blown away by the new tracks she performed at Radio 1. While I loved it, it was just so bogged down in its subpar quality. You ever download a song from limewire with 60k(or less) and wondered why you even bothered? Well, thats how that leak I had sounded. All the amazing shit going on musically in some of those tracks couldn't even be heard by my ears.

The real leak and of course album were like night and day from my first listening experience of Kala.

However, with this U2 album the quality is excellent and the CD quality will of course be better, but not by enough to deprive yourself of hearing it.

Had this leaked in a shitty 60k rip, I would have waited as well. I still kick myself in the ass for listening to those "AIM leaks" of the 3 new tracks on Chinese Democracy.

James

James wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Reminds me of ... wait for it ... not Slash, but Population Override-era Buckethead.

Holy shit. I ALMOST made a Bucket reference earlier when discussing specific tracks, but refrained because I thought people would think I was nuts and was grasping at straws.

Thank God I'm not the only one....

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Reminds me of ... wait for it ... not Slash, but Population Override-era Buckethead.

Holy shit. I ALMOST made a Bucket reference earlier when discussing specific tracks, but refrained because I thought people would think I was nuts and was grasping at straws.

Thank God I'm not the only one....

LOL. It was instantaneous for me. I was like, "Fuck, the Ede can do Bucket."

Sky Dog wrote:

Alright, I will be the first to break the ice...when listening to this album vs Chinese, the main thing that stands out is the production. Lanois and Eno nail it. Chinese sounds like there are 6 different producers and ....there are. This album has a lot of shit going on....great Pitman type stuff as well as great guitar work and vocal nuances. However, this album uses the guitar and instruments more appropriately and highlights Bono's voice in a cool way. Whereas Axl's voice gets buried sometimes, Bono's is front and center with very little effects. Cedars of Lebanon...listen to that one to know what I am saying.

Sky Dog wrote:

now, I don't really enjoy this album any more than Chinese. It just makes me jealous that Axl can't get or wouldn't try to get someone like Lanois. He talked about someone supporting him creatively, well, Lanois is the master. I wonder why someone named Jimmy Iovine would not have put that together....considering he is personally very connected to both bands. I bet there is a lot we don't know.:thumbup:

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Hmmm I think I am going to have to get myself in on this discussion and get this album to listen to...

James

James wrote:

I never understood Axl's unwillingness to stick to one producer either. Regardless of whether or not he didn't like specific input, better to just stick with one guy and bounce specific ideas off of until the middle ground is reached. Probably played a bigger role in the album's delay than is usually mentioned.

I know the album was in its very early stages at that point, but Axl should have taken Moby's early interest in the project more seriously. Moby had good things to say about it, but no lyrics/vocals pretty much nipped that potential collaboration in the bud. Since Axl seemed interested in the techno/hip hop going on at the time, this would have been a good match and Moby could have brought a unique perspective in that regard. Moby was on a fucking roll at that point.

Instead we wind up with hip hop beats reminiscent of early 80's Fat Boys records.

Board footer